Scope for 22LR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Scope for 22LR

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2015, 4:39 pm

Usurper wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I don't mind some of the Leupolds myself, my mate had one on his Ansultz 22 (can't remember the model) but I think it had a 50mm objective and it was very good under the light (slightly brighter than the Nikon from memory) but not much in it and the Nikon was better in the daylight when it came to contrast etc for whatever reason.

For a walk about their VX1 are perfect and aren't expensive.

Yep good enough to do the job no worries at all, I really don't see the sense in spending huge $$ on a scope for a 22, it just isn't warranted IMO, its like you are shooting long range where good glass shines etc, no need for fiddling with dials to take long shots, all you need is something simple that is reliable and clear under normal hunting type conditions and I'd reckon the large majority reasonably priced scopes would fit that bill fine.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 02 Jun 2015, 6:28 pm

bigfellascott wrote:You should pull the projies and weigh the charges and see if there are any that are overcharged? Discard the powder on the lawn (water in it makes good fertilizer) then reload the cases, that's what I'd be doing if it was me. :thumbsup:

Pouring powder over the lawn is a waste of an opportunity for some fun :D . Had to dispose of around a pound of powder a couple months back so the cousin, his son and I poured it down a bull ants nest in several of the holes. Left a nice little powder trail to light then stood back and admired the little volcanoes complete with ants on fire spewing out the top like little fireballs. I'll see if I can upload the video tonight or tomorrow and post a link. Have been following the thread on here about home made forges cause I want to pour molten aluminium into one of these ants nest then dig it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_jHGQRvAts
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by North East » 02 Jun 2015, 6:40 pm

Great video :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2015, 6:58 pm

brett1868 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:You should pull the projies and weigh the charges and see if there are any that are overcharged? Discard the powder on the lawn (water in it makes good fertilizer) then reload the cases, that's what I'd be doing if it was me. :thumbsup:

Pouring powder over the lawn is a waste of an opportunity for some fun :D . Had to dispose of around a pound of powder a couple months back so the cousin, his son and I poured it down a bull ants nest in several of the holes. Left a nice little powder trail to light then stood back and admired the little volcanoes complete with ants on fire spewing out the top like little fireballs. I'll see if I can upload the video tonight or tomorrow and post a link. Have been following the thread on here about home made forges cause I want to pour molten aluminium into one of these ants nest then dig it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_jHGQRvAts

:lol: sounds like fun to me! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Hercl » 03 Jun 2015, 1:48 pm

bigfellascott wrote:How do you reckon they got the double charge in the case? I can't see how they could of to be honest, I wonder if it was the wrong weight projectile? :unknown:

I've seen guys with cases lined up in the holder-tray fill the same case twice. A lot of the excess just falls outside the brass once they lift the funnel and on a holder-tray with deer recesses it would all hide in there.

Not saying it's easy to do. You'd have to be distracted/not paying close enough attention to do it but I can see it inevitably happening once. if you sat the projectile in on top of that.

Just theorizing here of course.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Jun 2015, 2:59 pm

Hercl wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:How do you reckon they got the double charge in the case? I can't see how they could of to be honest, I wonder if it was the wrong weight projectile? :unknown:

I've seen guys with cases lined up in the holder-tray fill the same case twice. A lot of the excess just falls outside the brass once they lift the funnel and on a holder-tray with deer recesses it would all hide in there.

Not saying it's easy to do. You'd have to be distracted/not paying close enough attention to do it but I can see it inevitably happening once. if you sat the projectile in on top of that.

Just theorizing here of course.

See I do it differently - I don't put any cases into the reloading block until they get charged (I use a chargemaster) once I funnel the powder into the case it then goes in the reloading block not before, that way you can't end up with double charges (not that I could fill any of my cases twice anyway as most are filled up around the base of the neck.

Once the case is in the reloading block I insert a projectile upside down, then repeat the whole process, once all cases are charged I then run them through the seating die (turn the projie up the right way of course) and then put them in the ammo box as I go.

Never ever had an issue with reloading whatsoever. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Supporter » 04 Jun 2015, 3:14 pm

I always fill the block with brass and fill the cases from there.

Never had an issue, I've always noticed (it's bloody obvious really) but I have double filled one more than a few times.

Tip it out, give it a few taps and start again of course. No problem.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Norton » 05 Jun 2015, 11:28 am

Supporter wrote:I've always noticed (it's bloody obvious really) but I have double filled one more than a few times.

I'd say obvious too.

People watching TV while they reload maybe :problem: :thumbsdown:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles