brick of .22lr

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: brick of .22lr

Post by rsj223 » 19 May 2015, 7:20 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
rsj223 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Shorti85 wrote:You can buy Winchester 555 for around $45 in Vic

Bought some a few weeks back for $55 from memory.

I got my last box for around $40 when was on special, 9 out 10 shot good from my ruger

They had a price rise recently so don't expect to get em that cheap, however I do see the shop up Nth has em for $35 :shock:

I thought to try Federal $48 there ok.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Seconds » 21 May 2015, 10:35 am

You never know until you try.

Probably buy a box first in case it doesn't shoot though before you get a brick. IMO.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 21 May 2015, 10:54 am

How much does 9mm ball/fmj cost there?

Trying to get the lay of the land.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by RDobber » 22 May 2015, 3:35 pm

A box of 50 is $27 Aus or so.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Althasaur » 23 May 2015, 5:25 pm

Hello,
Depends where you go. The below prices are all for .22lr.
CCI Standard is $45.00 at the HPGS, but at the Sydney Shooting Centre at Cecil Park ,$50.00 or $55.00.
I bought SSK Standard for $65.00 from memory. Federal premium is $78.00 for 2 boxes, both from HPGS.
*Let me know if I need to remove the supplier.*

I hope that helps.
Althasaur
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 24 May 2015, 9:32 am

Title_II wrote:How much does 9mm ball/fmj cost there?

Trying to get the lay of the land.

Depends on the brand.

As an example, I've seen 9mm S&B for $25 box of 50. I'd never use this except for the brass. Rubbish ammo.

Anything that is quality costs us about 3 times what you guys are paying (based on the Brownells emails that I get and cry everytime I read them).
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 24 May 2015, 10:03 pm

Why is that? I know we import a lot of powder from Australia. Who is making the money on all that ammo? Shipping can't triple the cost, can it?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 May 2015, 10:26 pm

Title_II wrote:Why is that? I know we import a lot of powder from Australia. Who is making the money on all that ammo? Shipping can't triple the cost, can it?

Because the gun shops and importers know that we aren't heading to America to stock up on ammo any time soon. :lol:

As an example Here in Australia we should be paying under $1 per litre for petrol at the moment, for a few short weeks we did recently but big buisness is too smart for that... they asked themselves why they weren't taking advantage of the over supply of crude and making massive profits from it so they soon jacked up the price back up to where it was previously $ 1.30 / litre

Im sure if a gun shop could sell ammo at halve the price and they did there would be consequences, like their supply drying up all of a sudden and reps not returning their phone calls ... we are a ruthless mob here, friendly but ruthless.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 24 May 2015, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by North East » 24 May 2015, 10:30 pm

I pay $1.47 a litre for alpine diesel mix....go figure.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 May 2015, 10:44 pm

North East wrote:I pay $1.47 a litre for alpine diesel mix....go figure.

Good old supply and demand. Last time I filled up on diesel I payed $ 1.30 exactly one week 6 days ago.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by agentzero » 25 May 2015, 10:54 am

Title_II wrote:Why is that? I know we import a lot of powder from Australia. Who is making the money on all that ammo? Shipping can't triple the cost, can it?

Maybe... importer adds 50%, wholesaler adds 50% to that, retailer adds their % to that....

Many people taking a slice along the way.
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by joker » 02 Jun 2015, 11:17 pm

Well its relatively easy to put up prices when all competitors stick together and know we don't have a choice but to pay there asking price (that's more directed about the petrol prices)

Don't mean to go off topic but what do you all mean that different ammunitions in the .22 have difference performance?
And what do you look at to judge it's performance?
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rocker » 04 Jun 2015, 10:42 am

joker wrote:Don't mean to go off topic but what do you all mean that different ammunitions in the .22 have difference performance?

And what do you look at to judge it's performance?

Ammunition is made to different quality standards for one thing. Some will have more consistent projectile weights and shapes and consistent powder charges.

Others have a bit more variance in them which makes them inherently a little less accurate.

Different guns like different ammunition too. The only way to know what works for your rifle is to try a few different types.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Hercl » 04 Jun 2015, 2:28 pm

Joker, check out this topic for pictures to match Rocker's explanation.

.22lr ammunition comparison.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by joker » 05 Jun 2015, 9:21 am

Yeh now its much clearer thanks.

I might actually buy one of the top ammunition in that post and the bottom ones so I can actually see the difference for my self and learn what to look out for

Cheers joker
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 05 Jun 2015, 10:31 am

joker wrote:Yeh now its much clearer thanks.

I might actually buy one of the top ammunition in that post and the bottom ones so I can actually see the difference for my self and learn what to look out for

Cheers joker

Not so fast Joker... you need to be confused a bit more! :unknown:

While "better" more expensive ammo is usually made to higher specs and tolerances, that is no guarantee that it will be the best shooter in your rifle. :ugeek: :huh: :crazy:

The minute vagaries of rifle manufacture, variances in tolerances, steels used etc, etc; particularly from make to make but even from batch to batch with in one make, or even rifle to rifle; means that each rifle has it's own "harmonic signature" (so to speak). This means that you might find one cheap brand of ammo that shoots really well and that's the only thing that will give you GOOD results, no matter how much you spend on "BETTER" ammo. You may find that your rifle "likes" 3 or 4 different rounds but prefers one. You may find, like my wife's 22lr that one sub and one high velocity shoot the same windage but about an inch+ difference in elevation at 50m. You might find that all the ammo your rifle shoots (or groups) well, all shoot 3" apart both left and right and high and low; or, you might find a few that all group with in 1" of each other, center to center. :wtf:

The only way to find out is to try different ammo and concentrate on shooting consistently! :thumbsup:

My t-bolt shoots a cheapo brand ok, like just under an inch at 50m (they're better when i 'do some work' on them), shoots Win PP42 quite well (closer to 1/2") and really likes CCI Velocitor, ie: typically under 1/2" and occasionally down to 1/4" at 50M.

I've run about a dozen different rounds through it to find those. Typically, between ammo types, i patch the barrel dry, shoot 10 rounds to foul the barrel with the new ammo, then do a 5 round group at 25m. Anything that doesn't group under or on 1/2" at 25, i put aside. Then i repeat the process at 50m. Patch, foul but then do 3 x 5shot groups and pick the best from there.

Also helps to learn your rifle and refine shooting technique if you're new to it or have a new rifle.

Good luck... hope you find a cheapy that shoots well! :drinks:
Last edited by Gwion on 05 Jun 2015, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RDobber » 05 Jun 2015, 11:26 am

Gwion wrote:The only way to find out is to try different ammo and concentrate on shooting consistently! :thumbsup:

He speaks the truth.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by beerhog » 05 Jun 2015, 11:39 am

i found the rem bucket of s**t to be very inconsistent and extremely dirty. its not too bad for the kids to plink with but the amount of crap it leaves behind isnt worth it. the winny 555 bulk box is better accuracy wise and a lot cleaner as well for much the same price usually 40 or so a box. for good hunting ammo you cant go past rws and its on special al lover the place now for 100 bucks a brick.
beerhog
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by joker » 06 Jun 2015, 9:46 am

Thanks gwion, I'm back to square one now. So much for things being clearer hahaha.

Nah but what you said does make sense thanks mate

hope every one has a good long weekend
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 06 Jun 2015, 2:19 pm

No worries mate. It all takes a bit to get your head around. I can relate because i'm pretty new to it all myself. Hadn't shot a rifle in around 15 or 20 years until a couple of years ago.

Just buy ammo a box at a time until you find a couple of good ones and then stock up. It's good to find a few different options, even if they not all the "best", as supply isn't always reliable for all brands. It's good to have some fall back options.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by joker » 06 Jun 2015, 3:19 pm

Good point, wouldn't of thought of that.

I'll probably just start recording my evaluation of each ammo box after I use them so I'll be able to keep track.
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusC » 09 Jun 2015, 2:25 pm

joker wrote:Thanks gwion, I'm back to square one now. So much for things being clearer hahaha.

Just don't over think it mate, get out and do something.

Buy a few boxes, shoot them and you'll have some answers ;)
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 09 Jun 2015, 3:02 pm

AusC wrote:
Just don't over think it mate, get out and do something.

Buy a few boxes, shoot them and you'll have some answers ;)

Exactly!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by wrenchman » 10 Jun 2015, 1:20 am

last nite i got a box 325 for 25 us i have been finding 22s the last couple weeks i hope it keeps up me and my 2 sons shoot a lot of 22s this time of year
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by melanie » 10 Jun 2015, 10:09 am

wrenchman wrote:last nite i got a box 325 for 25 us i have been finding 22s the last couple weeks i hope it keeps up me and my 2 sons shoot a lot of 22s this time of year

Good hunting over there now?
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by joker » 10 Jun 2015, 10:33 am

I think that's what I'll just do. Get a few boxes and give them a go and of course test out people's recommendations in the process.

I just hope the weather is semi decent for when i get my .22

I hope you three clean up mate :friends:
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 15 Jun 2015, 12:03 pm

joker wrote:I just hope the weather is semi decent for when i get my .22

Saying it you've just jinxed yourself and it'll be rotten now :P
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by joker » 15 Jun 2015, 3:37 pm

SendIt wrote:
joker wrote:I just hope the weather is semi decent for when i get my .22

Saying it you've just jinxed yourself and it'll be rotten now :P

Knowing by luck it's almost guaranteed to be rotten :x
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 16 Jun 2015, 1:29 pm

Easy fix.

Just go outside and say aloud "gee, I sure hope it rains!"

:lol:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by joker » 16 Jun 2015, 3:44 pm

RealNick I tried that back in 25th of December 2011. It resulted with the hail storm and our cars getting wrecked lol
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles