Head spacing .22LR rounds

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Head spacing .22LR rounds

Post by Patrol66 » 28 May 2015, 8:41 pm

I've sorted my 22lr rounds . Looking for that bit extra. For the range and one for the pot
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Rocker » 01 Jun 2015, 11:18 am

Apollo wrote:I'll shoot maybe a few dozen rounds at a time, just to test but then it's one shot at a target each of 5 or shoot 5 shots at the one target for a group. Best 5 at 200 yards in ideal conditions has been 2 1/4" once with Lapua Center-X.

How much do you find that opens up with a little wind?

Just normal stuff, not shooting in anything to severe.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 01 Jun 2015, 3:05 pm

Not sure what you mean here.

I don't have a wind speed meter but I do use wind flags, at a 200 yard target there will be possibly 5 flags and every one will show a different wind velocity perhaps even direction over that distance. This is where experience comes in to evaluate what is going to affect your POI.

Anything other than dead still will swing that POI.

I'll know better in the next week or so when a mate and I do some ammo testing and training with and without a breeze before we go to our competition shoot. I'll be happy if I can keep all my shots on my own target. If I end up with any from either side I should be able to tell as my .22LR holes will actually be .20 calibre size since the barrel is 20cal at the muzzle. It's on loan, called a .22LR Extruder Barrel.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Octane » 02 Jun 2015, 3:54 pm

Apollo wrote:If I end up with any from either side I should be able to tell as my .22LR holes will actually be .20 calibre size since the barrel is 20cal at the muzzle. It's on loan, called a .22LR Extruder Barrel.

Extruder barrel.... Am I right in assuming the projectile is funnelled through it it be reduced to .20cal?

Sounds like inviting trouble you'd think....
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 02 Jun 2015, 4:06 pm

Not my thoughts but it's the first reference to the design i could find

"The Myra Extruder was originally developed as a .22 rimfire with a .20 caliber barrel. The .20 caliber shot acceptably, but the velocity increase was only slightly better than the standard .22lr, so it was considered not worth the trouble.

When the same approach was tried with a .17 caliber barrel, the bullets were squeezed to about 1" long and the resulting stabilization problems couldn't be solved, even with going to a 1 in 6" twist barrel. So the "extruder" concept was basically considered to be more trouble than it was worth."

I'll be interestred to hear how it shoots, i had a play at 200m with my .22 on the weekend and the biggest issue was finding a suitable aiming point meters above the target to aim at. I ended up maxing out my scope elevation and using the very bottom of the reticule and adjusting magnification until point of impact matched the point of aim. there was little wind to deal with so once i was on paper i managed to get quite a few hits on a 2" shoot and see target then a few hits on a 1" sticker on a target though there were quite a few 3-4" away.

I chose to use standard velocity ammo because i was aware some other ammo i have used becomes quite unstable when it goes transonic at around 100m and i wasn't convinced this wouldn't cause issues further out

The winner put 10 shots into a group around 3" wide and 2" high (from memory) , quite an impressive feat IMHO

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Elek » 04 Jun 2015, 11:23 am

Sounds like a lot of effort to get a bit more velocity out of a .22lr.

Am I the only one thinking you'd be better off just buying a .22mag or .17hmr etc.
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles