Reliable Rimfire rifle

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Reliable Rimfire rifle

Post by Chimpy1708 » 18 Jun 2015, 4:09 pm

Hi everybody, I'm fairly new to firearms as I've only just got my license and I was wondering what people would suggest for a Rimfire rifle. Can anyone tell me a durable & accurate .22 or 17HMR that isn't going to break the bank? I've been suggested by a mate of mine a .22 Puma Hunter.
Chimpy1708
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Reliable Rimfire rifle

Post by AusTac » 19 Jun 2015, 3:19 pm

Can't go wrong with a CZ 542-455
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Apollo » 19 Jun 2015, 3:34 pm

A .22LR is cheap to feed, the .17HMR a lot more expensive by a mile.

Depends on what you want to shoot with it.

As above, the CZ 452 or an old very accurate Brno. I'm not a fan of the idea of the CZ 455 with it's switch barrel but I've never shot one to compare.

Durable, well my 1965 Brno Model 2 is certainly that and proven over many years, accurate as well, as good as a designated target rifle I been testing for an upcoming competition.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by North East » 19 Jun 2015, 3:34 pm

Have fun and get a lever action. I recently got a Browning BL-22 lever action and it's a laugh a minute. Holds 15 rounds and you cycle the action as quick as a semi auto. Pretty pricey though at $1200.00 or thereabouts. Don't know what your budget is.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by David Brown » 19 Jun 2015, 3:40 pm

There are so many that are good and reliable.

Of course everyone will recommend the one they have, after all they look a dill for recommending one they don't have and bagging the one they do unless they are openly admitting they made a mistake.

The market has some brilliant choices but the rugger American is a VERY popular, very reliable and accurate rifle. It is also very well priced. Fit this with say the Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 scope and you have a winner. Prices will be about $475-500 for the rifle and say $325 or something like that for the scope.

You will not be disappointed. Having said that, there are quite a few others that would be nice too.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanR ... odels.html
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chimpy1708 » 19 Jun 2015, 4:06 pm

Thanks everyone. I'd love to get a BL-22 but it's a bit pricey for me at the moment so I was thinking something around the $500-$600 mark. Does anyone know if there are any good rifles that come with a scope? We have a few pigs around home so that's what I'll be hunting mostly. Also a few foxes.
Chimpy1708
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by North East » 19 Jun 2015, 4:08 pm

Chimpy1708 wrote:Thanks everyone. I'd love to get a BL-22 but it's a bit pricey for me at the moment so I was thinking something around the $500-$600 mark. Does anyone know if there are any good rifles that come with a scope? We have a few pigs around home so that's what I'll be hunting mostly. Also a few foxes.

You're going to need a bit more "grunt" than a .22 for the pigs. :thumbsup:

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Jun 2015, 4:22 pm

Chimpy1708 wrote:Thanks everyone. I'd love to get a BL-22 but it's a bit pricey for me at the moment so I was thinking something around the $500-$600 mark. Does anyone know if there are any good rifles that come with a scope? We have a few pigs around home so that's what I'll be hunting mostly. Also a few foxes.

I'd buy a centrefire if you are wanting to target pigs mate, a 22 ain't really the best option for them! :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Elmer » 19 Jun 2015, 4:25 pm

Hi mate, if you are on a tight budget check out the marlin bolt action .22LR series , I have a stainless steel one and have found it to be rugged and accurate...check out my youtube vid , all these bunnies were shot with this rifle,
cheers,
Sean

https://youtu.be/z6ETKkoWUFc
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by North East » 19 Jun 2015, 4:30 pm

Elmer wrote:Hi mate, if you are on a tight budget check out the marlin bolt action .22LR series , I have a stainless steel one and have found it to be rugged and accurate...check out my youtube vid , all these bunnies were shot with this rifle,
cheers,
Sean

He plans on shooting pigs....a .22 would be useless for pigs. Needs a .223 minimum but I'd prefer something much larger.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 19 Jun 2015, 4:37 pm

^^^^ I'd agree. Something bigger than a .223R or you might get yourself in a lot of trouble if caught trying to shoot Pigs.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 19 Jun 2015, 5:01 pm

For a 22lr to learn to shoot, take out some bunnies and get the feel of a gun, my suggestion below $500 is a Zastava CZ99. A mate recently bought one and i was quite impressed for a $350 rifle. Much nicer to my mind and hands than the Marlin or the Puma i have handled. All steel and wood, shoots straight and would last for as long as you bother to keep the rust out of it.

Add a Zastava M70 in 243 for the piggies (at around $800 or sometimes cheaper) and you'll have a matching pair for all the bunnies, pigs and foxes you can handle.

Even though you are wanting to go after the pigs, i still think you really need a 22lr first and last as a cheap way to learn to shoot better and also just for the fun of plinking and busting bunnies.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by David Brown » 19 Jun 2015, 5:18 pm

A .22lr on pigs……will only piss them off and get you hurt! Short of having a 30 round mag in a semi auto….they will turn on you, not tun toes up.

You say you want a package with a scope, you can't go past this. http://www.ruger.com/products/americanR ... odels.html

The pic would be the .308 as the ammo falls off trees.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Jun 2015, 7:04 pm

Elmer wrote:Hi mate, if you are on a tight budget check out the marlin bolt action .22LR series , I have a stainless steel one and have found it to be rugged and accurate...check out my youtube vid , all these bunnies were shot with this rifle,
cheers,
Sean

Nice job as usual sean - what ammo were you running and at what ranges were they shot?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 19 Jun 2015, 8:00 pm

I have a brand new 22lr Lever Action BL-22 field Grade 2 with 24 inch octagon barrel with Silver nitride receiver,

plus Brand New SKINNER aperture sight with Merit adjustable size iris,

I'd sell you for allot less than new as a package.

Also have a vintage new in box TASCO WORLD CLASS one piece bridge mount (model is BL-22 on box).
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Chimpy1708 » 19 Jun 2015, 9:10 pm

Theres a few Roos around home so they're an option to hunt as well just to keep them off the crops and practice.
Chimpy1708
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by North East » 19 Jun 2015, 9:13 pm

Give the .22 a miss.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by David Brown » 19 Jun 2015, 9:52 pm

KW……..as much as you are a really nice guy, he wants to shoot pigs not get eaten by one

:drinks:
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 19 Jun 2015, 10:35 pm

i must have missed that minor detail since he was looking for a 22lr :P
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Sam45 » 20 Jun 2015, 6:09 am

I shot a pig once with a .22, hit it in the head, looked at me,was not happy. Please for the love of god, get something that will actually stop the bastrd :lol: A .223 would be a good start. .22lr bit under powered for miss piggy :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 20 Jun 2015, 8:33 am

KWhorenet wrote:I have a brand new 22lr Lever Action BL-22 field Grade 2 with 24 inch octagon barrel with Silver nitride receiver,

plus Brand New SKINNER aperture sight with Merit adjustable size iris,

I'd sell you for allot less than new as a package.

Also have a vintage new in box TASCO WORLD CLASS one piece bridge mount (model is BL-22 on box).

There is a deal! Just not for porkers!
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 20 Jun 2015, 9:38 am

Still reckon you could get a 22lr and a 243, both with open sights, for under (or just over) $1K.

22lr perfect to learn to shoot and hone skills on the cheap (as the OP is new to shooting) and the 243 for dropping medium game.

No need for scopes. Most of the pig shooting would likely be pretty close in, so open sight would be perfect for fast shooting in a mob of oinkers. Could fit a scope down the track if missing too many opportunities at range.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Walt68 » 20 Jun 2015, 8:47 pm

Ruger American Rimfire, good price, rugged, reliable, accurate, the price is right.
Walt68
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Jun 2015, 4:10 pm

cheers,
Sean

My son inlaw got one of those and very happy.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chimpy1708 » 21 Jun 2015, 5:23 pm

I might just give the pigs a miss just focus on improving my aim
Chimpy1708
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by North East » 21 Jun 2015, 5:27 pm

Chimpy1708 wrote:I might just give the pigs a miss just focus on improving my aim

Give the roos a miss too. :thumbsup:

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 21 Jun 2015, 5:37 pm

If you can lay your hands on one the Bruno Mod 2, as a second hand .22 is always a good bet.
Mind you a god second hand bruno will still sell for around $600.00 ish, but reliable and accurate they are
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Strikey » 21 Jun 2015, 8:18 pm

Chimpy1708 wrote:Theres a few Roos around home so they're an option to hunt as well just to keep them off the crops and practice.

In your first post you mention that you are relatively new to firearms and just recently acquired your license, correct? So I would strongly suggest that you get some practice on some targets other than live animals, not very ethical wounding them just so you can get in some practice! :thumbsdown:
As for a good reliable rimfire, you can't go wrong with a second hand Brno Model 1 or 2, I have owned a 1955 Mod 1 for 40 years now and it will still group as good as my Sako and Anschutz's when fed its preferred ammo, sometimes wonder why I spent so much on the others.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chimpy1708 » 21 Jun 2015, 8:37 pm

Thanks everybody. I think I'll just get a few targets to shoot until I start to get the hang of it :)
Chimpy1708
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Jun 2015, 8:33 am

Chimpy1708 wrote:Thanks everybody. I think I'll just get a few targets to shoot until I start to get the hang of it :)

Sounds like a good idea to me mate, then when you are ready buy a Rifle/Cal that is suited to that particular job - ie Pigs etc. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles