Reliable Rimfire rifle

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Reliable Rimfire rifle

Post by KWhorenet » 19 Jun 2015, 10:35 pm

i must have missed that minor detail since he was looking for a 22lr :P
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Sam45 » 20 Jun 2015, 6:09 am

I shot a pig once with a .22, hit it in the head, looked at me,was not happy. Please for the love of god, get something that will actually stop the bastrd :lol: A .223 would be a good start. .22lr bit under powered for miss piggy :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 20 Jun 2015, 8:33 am

KWhorenet wrote:I have a brand new 22lr Lever Action BL-22 field Grade 2 with 24 inch octagon barrel with Silver nitride receiver,

plus Brand New SKINNER aperture sight with Merit adjustable size iris,

I'd sell you for allot less than new as a package.

Also have a vintage new in box TASCO WORLD CLASS one piece bridge mount (model is BL-22 on box).

There is a deal! Just not for porkers!
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 20 Jun 2015, 9:38 am

Still reckon you could get a 22lr and a 243, both with open sights, for under (or just over) $1K.

22lr perfect to learn to shoot and hone skills on the cheap (as the OP is new to shooting) and the 243 for dropping medium game.

No need for scopes. Most of the pig shooting would likely be pretty close in, so open sight would be perfect for fast shooting in a mob of oinkers. Could fit a scope down the track if missing too many opportunities at range.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Walt68 » 20 Jun 2015, 8:47 pm

Ruger American Rimfire, good price, rugged, reliable, accurate, the price is right.
Walt68
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Jun 2015, 4:10 pm

Elmer wrote:Hi mate, if you are on a tight budget check out the marlin bolt action .22LR series , I have a stainless steel one and have found it to be rugged and accurate...check out my youtube vid , all these bunnies were shot with this rifle,
cheers,
Sean

https://youtu.be/z6ETKkoWUFc

My son inlaw got one of those and very happy.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chimpy1708 » 21 Jun 2015, 5:23 pm

I might just give the pigs a miss just focus on improving my aim
Chimpy1708
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by North East » 21 Jun 2015, 5:27 pm

Chimpy1708 wrote:I might just give the pigs a miss just focus on improving my aim

Give the roos a miss too. :thumbsup:
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 21 Jun 2015, 5:37 pm

If you can lay your hands on one the Bruno Mod 2, as a second hand .22 is always a good bet.
Mind you a god second hand bruno will still sell for around $600.00 ish, but reliable and accurate they are
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Strikey » 21 Jun 2015, 8:18 pm

Chimpy1708 wrote:Theres a few Roos around home so they're an option to hunt as well just to keep them off the crops and practice.

In your first post you mention that you are relatively new to firearms and just recently acquired your license, correct? So I would strongly suggest that you get some practice on some targets other than live animals, not very ethical wounding them just so you can get in some practice! :thumbsdown:
As for a good reliable rimfire, you can't go wrong with a second hand Brno Model 1 or 2, I have owned a 1955 Mod 1 for 40 years now and it will still group as good as my Sako and Anschutz's when fed its preferred ammo, sometimes wonder why I spent so much on the others.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chimpy1708 » 21 Jun 2015, 8:37 pm

Thanks everybody. I think I'll just get a few targets to shoot until I start to get the hang of it :)
Chimpy1708
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Jun 2015, 8:33 am

Chimpy1708 wrote:Thanks everybody. I think I'll just get a few targets to shoot until I start to get the hang of it :)

Sounds like a good idea to me mate, then when you are ready buy a Rifle/Cal that is suited to that particular job - ie Pigs etc. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Title_II » 22 Jun 2015, 8:45 am

By pigs you mean boar? Like bacon pigs? :) We call groundhogs pigs here so not sure. I would not hunt boar with a .22 but I would dust a whistlepig.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Jun 2015, 9:35 am

Title_II wrote:By pigs you mean boar? Like bacon pigs? :) We call groundhogs pigs here so not sure. I would not hunt boar with a .22 but I would dust a whistlepig.

Yeah mate Boars and Sows. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sally-bee » 22 Jun 2015, 10:33 am

Title_II wrote:By pigs you mean boar? Like bacon pigs? :) We call groundhogs pigs here so not sure. I would not hunt boar with a .22 but I would dust a whistlepig.

I thought these guys where your "ground hogs"

hh-animals-groundhog-6.png
hh-animals-groundhog-6.png (479.34 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 05 Aug 2015, 11:34 pm

I like the Marlin Model 60, but if I understand correctly auto loaders are banned in Australia. New in box my Model 60, blued, synthetic stock and cheap Chinese 4X was US$ 150 out the door. Marlin's 39A is great but pricey, same for CZ 455 American. I'd be looking at Marlin and Savage bolt actions.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Apollo » 05 Aug 2015, 11:46 pm

No, Auto Loaders or more correctly Semi Auto & Full Auto are not banned in Australia. They are restricted to those of us that have a genuine reason to own and use one.

I have owned a Marlin Semi Auto in the past and not for long. I wasn't impressed with it at all.

One of the European makes was by far a much better outfit and far more reliable.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Wobble » 11 Aug 2015, 8:46 am

GLS_1956 wrote:I like the Marlin Model 60, but if I understand correctly auto loaders are banned in Australia.

They're allowed for primary production and professional pest control and culling.

For recreational hunting or target shooting which makes up the majority of us we're limited to manual actions.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles