.17 HMR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

.17 HMR

Post by xsbobber » 25 Jun 2015, 7:13 am

G'day All,

Looking at buying a .17HMR for rabbits and foxes on the farm, don't have endless funds so looking at the cheaper end of the market. After some looking it seems many manufacturers all make a .17 around the $500 mark. Mossberg 817, Marlin XT, Savage 93, Ruger American Rimfire ect ect. As far as I can tell its much of a muchness between these lower end rifles, I know they probably wont be as refined as the more expensive rifles but does anyone have any good/bad points of any mentioned (or I've missed) or ones to steer clear of? or should I hold out and look for a good quality second hand .17?

Thanks,
xsbobber
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: .17 HMR

Post by Gwion » 25 Jun 2015, 8:53 am

Also look at the Zastava. Old fashioned farm gun. Wood and steel. They shoot well and are very serviceable.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by rsj223 » 25 Jun 2015, 10:49 am

A mate has a savage heavy barrel and shoots spot on, he crunched the LGS for about $500
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 25 Jun 2015, 12:37 pm

My brother has a savage .17hmr. The springs are too weak in the magazines and also the firing pin has a weak strike. Nothing worse than having something lined up and hearing a click. I wouldn't personally suggest a savage.
Tbh, i wouldn't reccommend a .17hmr. It is a great little round but it is pricey for a rimfire, and farmers have been taking rabbits and foxes with 22s for generations. And being so cheap to shoot, you'll become very practiced and proficient with it.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by gunnerjacky » 25 Jun 2015, 3:43 pm

10 Hunting Rifles for Under $500

1. Savage Axis - $363
2. Howa Hogue Rifle - $475
3. H&R 1871 Handi-Rifle Synthetic - $252
4. Marlin X7 Scoped Combo - $443
5. Mossberg 464 Lever Action - $468
6. Mossberg ATR Deer THUG Rifles - $462
7. Remington Model 770 Stainless Camo - $455
8. Ruger American Rifle - $449
9. T/C Venture Compact - $469
10. Weatherby Vanguard 2 Synthetic - $483
Learning firearms from Boston Firearms Training School
gunnerjacky
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Royalla » 26 Jun 2015, 2:10 am

I've got the marlin .17 in the stainless. Does the job and I've never had any issues with it
Royalla
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 26 Jun 2015, 11:26 am

If this is going to be a farm tool and you don't care if its wood, i've heard some good things about the ruger american rimfires. Honestly, though, most cheap rimfires are perfectly adequate, and some of the cheap ones are exceptional. Price isnt always a guide to performance or reliability.
Find one you like the feel of and is comfortable.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by xsbobber » 26 Jun 2015, 11:30 am

Thanks for the input guys.

sandgroperbill - Yeh I change my mind every other day wether i want to stick with a .22, i just though a bit more range on the foxes would be handy but can see what you say you cant complain about the price of .22 ammo.
xsbobber
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Ade » 26 Jun 2015, 1:54 pm

Brno model 2. Taken more bunny sand foxes than most others
Brno model 2 .22
Beretta silver pigeon 12 bore
I.Hollis and Sons 12 bore side by side hammers sidelock 2,5
Ade
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Carter » 30 Jun 2015, 2:08 pm

xsbobber wrote:Thanks for the input guys.

sandgroperbill - Yeh I change my mind every other day wether i want to stick with a .22, i just though a bit more range on the foxes would be handy but can see what you say you cant complain about the price of .22 ammo.

Might as well go a cheap .223 like $500 for a Howa if you're going to do that. Get and extra couple of hundred metres range for your troubles.

IMO.
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Franky » 30 Jun 2015, 7:40 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
X2 Carter I only have a 17 because I fell for the hype.
A wise man told me once, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Franky
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Carter » 02 Jul 2015, 9:36 am

Well there's nothing inherently wrong with the cartridge.

If you were starting out buying your first hunting rimfire then good luck to you with it.

Just not worth it if you already have a .22 like OP getting a .17 for "a bit" more range like OP was looking at.

2c.
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles