Stirling model 14 .22LR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Stirling model 14 .22LR

Post by Shotgunboy » 19 Jul 2015, 3:55 pm

Hey guys looking for some advice. I want a cheap .22 bolt action rifle to shoot targets and bunny's with subsonics, I've been looking around and I quite like the look of the Stirling model 14. Does anybody know anything about them? They're quite good on price. I have never owned a bolt action I've always been a lever person using my fathers winchester .22mag or his .44-40. So just want to know if anybody has any info on the Stirling model 14.

Cheers
Shotgunboy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Stirling model 14 .22LR

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jul 2015, 9:04 pm

Cant talk about that model, but in general they are pretty cheap, in price and quality. If your on a tight budget consider the marlins. Good price and decent quality.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wes » 20 Jul 2015, 1:16 pm

I've just held one not shot it but personally I wasn't thrilled with the feel of the thing.

Could only be called a budget gun.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jul 2015, 6:45 pm

Wes wrote:I've just held one not shot it but personally I wasn't thrilled with the feel of the thing.

Could only be called a budget gun.

My first rifle was a stirling semi 22lr, bloody donky yrs ago. Was ok but later got the brno.
Shop around, there are better budget rifles around.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bobnob » 20 Jul 2015, 7:34 pm

Yes the Stirling 14 was my first rifle too. I loved it. Wish I'd kept it.

They're not still making them are they?
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rummer » 27 Jul 2015, 11:03 am

Doesn't look like it.

Googled a couple of shops and none have it listed as a new item.
Tikka T3 Laminated - 270 Win
Ruger 77/17 - 17 HMR
rummer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 26 Aug 2015, 11:16 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 13 Feb 2017, 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Bourt » 27 Aug 2015, 2:10 pm

happyhunter wrote:...borrow ya old mans 44-40 if you want to shoot pigs. The 22lr might be a bit on the light side..lol

Depends if you want a pissed off boar chasing you round after the shot or not :lol:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 13 Dec 2016, 8:42 pm

I just bought one last month and took it to the range yesterday. I was really really impressed. It shoots great, however, it is like all Philippines products. Functional, but the finish is woeful.

The barrell and gun is very heavy, its heavier than my CZ527 (7.62*39).

I loved shooting this gun at the range. I shot CCI stingers and Mini mags in it and some standard velocity federal. I will only be using Mini mags in future because it didn't shoot the std velocity very well and stingers are great, but, double the price of Mini mags. The barrell says to only use high velocity 22lr by the way!!!!!

The finish on this gun is pretty cr@p, it came with scratches and the safety didn't work. I don't like safeties anyway, I prefer to have an empty chamber. I put a huge scratch in the butt when I removed the bolt once and I just thought...."hey who cares it's not a Sako"....

It loads single rounds easy too, just slam them into the chamber and close the bolt on them.

I wish they would also bring out an affordable centrefire. I would love a functional, accurate, cheap, ugly, reliable centrefire to abuse and use.

I was originally looking for a Rascal 22lr. The sales bloke at my LGS recommend the Stirling as a "cheap 22lr".... I am glad he recommended this Stirling.
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 14 Dec 2016, 9:44 am

rummer wrote:Doesn't look like it.

Googled a couple of shops and none have it listed as a new item.

Shooters delight in Underwood qld has them for $355 with a scope.
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 14 Dec 2016, 1:08 pm

When I was a youngster I had Stirling Model 14 .22LR and Model 1500 .22WMR bolts, and two Model 20 .22LR semi-autos (one I bought secondhand).

I found a Model 20 shell deflector the other day in a box of old stuff.

I don't know what they finished their deluxe stocks with but it made them look and feel like plastic.
All of them were good fun to shoot though :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jeff303 » 15 Dec 2016, 6:40 am

I got my son a rock island 22 from hunting haven in uralla, $285 . Im stoked with it . Its a stirling with a few mods. Fit & finish are exellent for that price . Nice short thick barrel. Half decent trigger, threaded. Look em up.
Great value for money
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 12 Jan 2017, 5:11 pm

I got my son a rock island 22 from hunting haven in uralla, $285 . Im stoked with it . Its a stirling with a few mods. Fit & finish are exellent for that price . Nice short thick barrel. Half decent trigger, threaded. Look em up.
Great value for money

Yep I totally agree with you Jeff 303....
These guns are great for the price, mine shoots great and its incredibly accurate, I can't wait till Armscor brings out a centrefire in Australia. I think I will get an Armscor pistol or revolver in the future as well. I guess the snobs at the range with their cz's will turn up their noses at these ugly guns.....but hey....my cheap Armscor outshoots my fancy cz all day long....I wish I'd never bought the cz....total waste of money on an aesthetically pleasing heap of manure rifle that doesn't work properly. Armscor's on the other hand, look ugly, but work great.
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 12 Jan 2017, 7:14 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 21 Feb 2017, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by deye243 » 12 Jan 2017, 9:02 pm

jovialjosie2002 wrote:I just bought one last month and took it to the range yesterday. I was really really impressed. It shoots great, however, it is like all Philippines products. Functional, but the finish is woeful.

The barrell and gun is very heavy, its heavier than my CZ527 (7.62*39).

I loved shooting this gun at the range. I shot CCI stingers and Mini mags in it and some standard velocity federal. I will only be using Mini mags in future because it didn't shoot the std velocity very well and stingers are great, but, double the price of Mini mags. The barrell says to only use high velocity 22lr by the way!!!!!

The finish on this gun is pretty cr@p, it came with scratches and the safety didn't work. I don't like safeties anyway, I prefer to have an empty chamber. I put a huge scratch in the butt when I removed the bolt once and I just thought...."hey who cares it's not a Sako"....

It loads single rounds easy too, just slam them into the chamber and close the bolt on them.

I wish they would also bring out an affordable centrefire. I would love a functional, accurate, cheap, ugly, reliable centrefire to abuse and use.

I was originally looking for a Rascal 22lr. The sales bloke at my LGS recommend the Stirling as a "cheap 22lr".... I am glad he recommended this Stirling.

their not ugly but they fit the rest to a tee GET A HOWA 1500
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jan 2017, 7:28 am

From what I gather the Norinco JW-15 is a much better option. Plenty here rave about them.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 13 Jan 2017, 8:13 am

Oldbloke wrote:From what I gather the Norinco JW-15 is a much better option. Plenty here rave about them.

Qld gun exchange had them advertised for $169 + 65 for a scope. That's a bargain. I had one years ago. Was a bit ugly but shot just fine.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 13 Jan 2017, 8:34 am

happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles