Failed .22 round

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Failed .22 round

Post by rsj223 » 25 Aug 2015, 11:43 am

I brought that gun because it was the best value and feel to me it ticked the boxes, I would not buy another one because the bolt does not seal on the right side (still waiting for NIOA to confirm) and if a round fails it is the easiest path for the fail to travel but will go to other shops and check this out.
Will start looking at different ones today.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 25 Aug 2015, 11:49 am

There will always be a slight failure rate, no matter what the make or model. I would suggest that if it feels right, perhaps get another one. The odds of you getting another one with the same failure are pretty slim. Having said that, if you're hot confident in them anymore and will always be second guessing it and not trusting it, then you'll be better with something else.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by rsj223 » 25 Aug 2015, 3:37 pm

I'm thinking the LGS just wanted to give my money back just to get rid of me so to say, will have to wait to see what the fella from NIOA has to say when he calls back.
I have other .22's so might just give a new one a miss and see what comes up.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wobble » 28 Aug 2015, 8:32 am

rsj223 wrote:I'm thinking the LGS just wanted to give my money back just to get rid of me so to say, will have to wait to see what the fella from NIOA has to say when he calls back.

No surprise after their "it shoots fine it must have been the ammo" reply earlier.

Obviously reading this on a forum and not being there I only really know a fraction of the details but from what you've said their effort was just not good enough.

Sound like you were given back an unsafe rifle because he didn't know to determine if there was a problem properly or couldn't be stuffed doing so. To go from 'just the ammo' to 'not fit to use' once someone had a real look at it :evil:

:thumbsup: to NIOA for doing it properly.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by rsj223 » 28 Aug 2015, 11:10 am

The lady I was sending emails to at Ruger is away so waiting on her reply, also still waiting on NIOA to reply to the return
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Sender » 31 Aug 2015, 2:07 pm

Keep us posted, I'll be keen to know the outcome too.
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by rsj223 » 02 Sep 2015, 5:05 pm

This might as well be the last post I make on this topic unless Ruger respond with new news.
So after waiting for the guy from NIOA to get back to me I called him today and in his roundabout way said there is nothing wrong with the rifle but agrees that a certain failed round could cause it to blow out that area.
I have put up a picture of where the gases came out of and understand that this is standard on the American Ruger .22
I have since looked at other .22's and noticed that others don't have a gap as big as the Ruger, size could matter :roll:
Would not say bad things of this rifle other than because it done this to me I would prefer to purchase something else, how could I hand it down to my children knowing it "may" do it again so I will just have to use my 1B until I decide or find another.22.
I hope this has helped someone but I take from this that any ammo can fail its part of the sport
Attachments
20150825_134536 - Copy.jpg
20150825_134536 - Copy.jpg (402.37 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by The Brass » 09 Sep 2015, 9:17 am

I suppose it's possible you got a particularly bad round, combined with the gap made it a bit more dramatic than a regular failed .22 round would have been.

Yes they can fail, nothing's perfect, but it's not a weekly occurrence. Personally I've never had one fail in thousands of rounds.

Don't lose heart with it just yet is all I'm saying. It's possible if not probably you may never have the issue again. Just happened of all the places you could have got a failed round you got it at the front of the queue. Just my 2c
The Brass
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 09 Sep 2015, 12:04 pm

The Brass wrote:I suppose it's possible you got a particularly bad round, combined with the gap made it a bit more dramatic than a regular failed .22 round would have been.

Yes they can fail, nothing's perfect, but it's not a weekly occurrence. Personally I've never had one fail in thousands of rounds.

Don't lose heart with it just yet is all I'm saying. It's possible if not probably you may never have the issue again. Just happened of all the places you could have got a failed round you got it at the front of the queue. Just my 2c

To sum this whole thing up, the planets did align and this was a two in a ???? I just cant give that rifle to my son
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles