Floating a 22 mag barrel

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Floating a 22 mag barrel

Post by Ed9362 » 27 Jul 2015, 3:34 pm

Hi guys,

I have an old sterling 22 mag rifle which I would like to do up.

Problem is the accuracy is sadly lacking. My question is do you think floating the barrel and bedding the action will improve the accuracy of this rifle. I have done this before on centerfire rifle but never with a rimfire, I'm not sure if the same principles apply to both types of firearm.

Cheers,
Ed
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Floating a 22 mag barrel

Post by Walt68 » 27 Jul 2015, 4:19 pm

principles are the same.
Walt68
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Gwion » 27 Jul 2015, 5:32 pm

Maybe. It's worth a go. If it has a barrel lug they are a bit trickier to bed than a center fire with a recoil lug. At least i find it that way on my wife's Sportco.

Different issue, but i found that the Sporty shoots better with a pressure point bedding and the action torqued right. So, it bedded from barrel lug to tang of the action and has a pressure point a couple of inches back from the tip of the fore-end. I experimented to get the right spot for pressure point and torque on the action screws. It is 22lr, though.

Also look at the crown and condition of the rifling. If it's old, it might be too worn. Has it go too much fouling???

Just sound boarding ideas for trouble shooting it.

Good luck.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jul 2015, 7:02 pm

Gwoin is right. Clean barrel, check condotion of barrel. Perhaps push a 22 projectile through to feel for worn or rough spots.
Then before bedding try some packing under the front of the action to float it and try pressure at the fore end.

Then condider bedding
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ed9362 » 28 Jul 2015, 1:36 pm

Thanks guys, I had a rush of blood last night and started sanding to bed the rifle, once I had a good look at it the stock seemed to be pushing on the barrel all over the place, I will bed it and then see how it shoots. I'm sure I can't make it any worse
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wheelbarrow » 29 Jul 2015, 11:35 am

There is no 100% guarantee it will improve the accuracy, depending on other things said above, but yep the principles are the same.

Consistency is required for accuracy, and if the action is moving around in the in-letting or the barrel is intermittently contacting the stock fore-end that will be hurting it.

From what you said about the stock pushing on the barrel all over the place it sounds like it could definitely be worth a go though.
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42
Ruger Hawkeye Standard chambered in .270 Win
Wheelbarrow
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Ed9362 » 29 Jul 2015, 7:44 pm

Thanks, I think it is unlikely I will make it any worse, it used to group about 2 inches at 50 meters.
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 29 Jul 2015, 8:37 pm

Ed9362 wrote:Thanks, I think it is unlikely I will make it any worse, it used to group about 2 inches at 50 meters.

I gave a old model 15 to my nephew I think it was, same about one and a half @50 but would be under 2 inch at 100
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Tonit » 04 Aug 2015, 11:54 am

You should try 200 metres. You'd be under MOA at 200 if that rate continues :lol:
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles