New Pellet gun/ air rifle shooting bigger game?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

New Pellet gun/ air rifle shooting bigger game?

Post by Bosbefok » 12 Aug 2015, 1:10 pm

I have just bought a new pellet gun. A cometa Fenix 400! It's a .22 cal. I can hardly wait for it to arrive. I live on 7 acres and have a few rats (eat chicken food), rabbits and birds to shoot. A good excuse for a safe upgrade as this is rifle number 6! Anyone have experience with shooting larger game (rabbit/fox) with an air rifle?
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: New Pellet gun/ air rifle shooting bigger game?

Post by wrenchman » 12 Aug 2015, 3:11 pm

just rats
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by pajamatime » 12 Aug 2015, 3:54 pm

wrenchman wrote:just rats
and toads and maybe some other little critter pests. Birds classified as a pest? Don't shoot native animals though. Make sure you know exactly what you are trying to exterminate ^_^
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 12 Aug 2015, 6:16 pm

I have shot a few rabbits with my .22 PCP air rifle out to about 50-60yds and so long as it is a headshot they just fall over stone dead :twisted: But it is running at 32fpe which may be a bit more than the Fenix 400, if you can put a few a shots over a chrony to find out what sort of velocity & energy level its at, I reckon it will probably be around the 15-18fpe, plenty for rabbits out to 35-40yds, I have knocked them over with my .177, 13fpe FX and the poms are shooting them with sub 12fpe air rifles ( with silencers also, but we won't go there :roll: ) The main problem you will encounter will be learning to shoot that air rifle but that's part of the fun, welcome to the darkside :evil: :lol:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 12 Aug 2015, 11:26 pm

Get one of these he he http://www.quackenbushairguns.com

In all seariosnes check out some of the British utube channels some of the things that shoot with air rifles is unbelievable
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Herdsman » 17 Aug 2015, 3:58 pm

"pellet gun" + "big game" brings some funny images to the imagination.

I know it's not what you meant but I'm seeing shooting a bull in the ass and pissing it off before it head butts you out of its territory :lol:
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles