Air Rifles

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Air Rifles

Post by Walt68 » 25 Sep 2015, 6:25 pm

just purchased a Crosman TR77NPS .177 air rifle, very impressed, anyone have a favourite
Attachments
C2.png
C2.png (17.25 KiB) Viewed 4847 times
Walt68
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Re: Air Rifles

Post by Heckler303 » 25 Sep 2015, 7:38 pm

I don't currently own an air rifle, but those Walther LGV air rifles look like a real treat. Almost like a .177 Air-mauser if you will.

Actually, some of the semi automatics look like a real treat to. Closest thing we'll either have to a semi auto .22 anyway.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Strikey » 26 Sep 2015, 4:43 pm

Have 3 air rifles, soon to be 4, all are exceptionally accurate once I found their preferred pellet which is a damn sight cheaper and easier than centrefire and rimfire rifles. With a 12yr old coming into shooting, a day at the range doesn't bust my wallet, some air and a tin of pellets keeps him happy for the day while learning some invaluable shooting skills. And its fun to shoot sub 1-1.5 MOA groups at 100yds and rub it in to the Tikka/Howa/Rem .223/243 fanboys :lol: :lol:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 27 Sep 2015, 5:34 am

can you guys get the big bore air rifles i have looked at them never shot one
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Slixxor » 27 Sep 2015, 7:52 am

I did a breif review on a Gamo black knight in .22 cal. I love it! Have upgraded the scope since.

https://youtu.be/DkjAdeO-foU
Slixxor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 27 Sep 2015, 7:56 am

wrenchman wrote:can you guys get the big bore air rifles i have looked at them never shot one

There are .25, .30, 35 cal. available here at the moment and I believe the Airforce Texan in .45cal is coming. :)
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 27 Sep 2015, 8:26 am

I just have a crappy Daisy 10 pump type. But it killed a lot of pests!

I'd like to get a nice one but I would probably fire 100 rounds and then it would lean against my map table for 10 years collecting dust.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Strikey » 27 Sep 2015, 9:26 am

Title_II wrote:I just have a crappy Daisy 10 pump type. But it killed a lot of pests!

I'd like to get a nice one but I would probably fire 100 rounds and then it would lean against my map table for 10 years collecting dust.

Once you try a nice PCP airgun I am willing to bet you would put more than a 100 pellets through it and I reckon it would not be left collecting dust. They can be addictive :mrgreen:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 27 Sep 2015, 9:53 am

Maybe. I only have so much room in my car for guns and gear and I don't think I am going to leave home a gun for an air rifle. I try not to shoot too much in my back yard because it's not really setup for it. Shooting a long arm in the garage would be pretty dumb.

I don't know for sure.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 27 Sep 2015, 8:11 pm

Title_II wrote:Shooting a long arm in the garage would be pretty dumb.

I don't know for sure.

Give it a go and find out. Use something large so it's easy to see where they're hitting the walls. Then post pictures so the rest of us can also make our conclusions...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 28 Sep 2015, 12:32 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:
Title_II wrote:Shooting a long arm in the garage would be pretty dumb.

I don't know for sure.

Give it a go and find out. Use something large so it's easy to see where they're hitting the walls. Then post pictures so the rest of us can also make our conclusions...

I shoot machineguns in the garage. Well, not lately. 9mm for fun on rare occasion and .22 to work on tuning issues.

Shooting an air rifle or any rifle at the 25 feet or so I have available doesn't really seem like much fun.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Strikey » 28 Sep 2015, 8:26 pm

Title II, you think shooting a long arm in the garage is or would be pretty dumb but a machinegun is OK? :wtf: Can I come play in your garage? :shock:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 28 Sep 2015, 10:06 pm

There's not enough distance in the garage to have any fun with a longarm. The garage is better suited to air guns than 9mm most likely, but I can't see the fun of shooting at a target at 25 feet with an air rifle. I do plan to start practicing handgun out there.

I'm really only willing to shoot handguns indoors. For self defense proficiency. Shooting indoors sucks IMO unless you need a retrievable target to work on stuff (no my garage does not have that). When I shoot for fun I am fine shooting groups but I also want to mess some stuff up or "Hey hit that thing over there."

It's more fun outdoors.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Sender » 01 Oct 2015, 9:37 am

Title_II wrote:I shoot machineguns in the garage.

We videoed this I hope?

:mrgreen: Lets see it :D
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 01 Oct 2015, 12:52 pm

Videoed shooting in my garage? LOL, no. I don't even have a video camera. I have hours of video but it was all by friends.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Usurper » 05 Oct 2015, 2:19 pm

Strikey wrote:Title II, you think shooting a long arm in the garage is or would be pretty dumb but a machinegun is OK? :wtf: Can I come play in your garage? :shock:

I'm assuming when he says "shooting a long arm in the garage would be pretty dumb" he actually means rifle cartridges, not the type of firearm.

Obviously doesn't make a difference whether a round is fired from a self-loading rifle or a bolt action, but a 9mm (as in his example) would require much less of a backdrop/catchment than a .308 (as is a common "longarm").
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rick » 12 Oct 2015, 8:51 am

Does anyone know anything about Daystate Air rifles? I only heard of them the other day, from the Sporting Shooter Annualk, they dont seem too bad. Walther barrel etc on them.
Winchester Model 06 .22 Pump
Winchester Model 9422 .22WMR Lever, with scope
Marlin Model 1895 45-70 Government, Lever
3 shotguns, all 12 Ga, U/O, SKB, FEG (coach) and Fausti
maybe a Boito coach gun, just because I should have a SXS in the safe.
Rick
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Hinky » 13 Oct 2015, 8:00 am

Usurper wrote:I'm assuming when he says "shooting a long arm in the garage would be pretty dumb" he actually means rifle cartridges, not the type of firearm.

Obviously doesn't make a difference whether a round is fired from a self-loading rifle or a bolt action, but a 9mm (as in his example) would require much less of a backdrop/catchment than a .308 (as is a common "longarm").

I'm assuming it's pretty dumb cause your wife would kill you either way :lol:
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Strikey » 13 Oct 2015, 6:53 pm

Rick wrote:Does anyone know anything about Daystate Air rifles? I only heard of them the other day, from the Sporting Shooter Annualk, they dont seem too bad. Walther barrel etc on them.

Daystate air rifles are generally the benchmark that other hunting/ all purpose air rifles are judged by, top shelf quality & accuracy, from there you go to Steyr, Anschutz, FWB air rifles but these are your top target air rifles. I own a Daystate Huntsman and as delivered I was happy with its accuracy but not with its very poor shot count, the importers seem to think we need as much velocity that can be obtained but this destroys accuracy with air rifles, mine was pushing 16grn pellets at 1070fps, 18grn pellets at 1040fps, now that sounds impressive and 1 inch groups at 50yds were easy but at those velocities barrel fouling is an issue. I have since detuned it to 950-960fps with the lighter pellets and 900-920 with the heavies, sub half inch groups are the norm and a better shot count which adds up to less pumping :D There is a pic of a group I shot recently posted in the Show us your rimfire groups thread, sorry I don't know how to link it, should give you an idea of what these air rifles are capable of and if I can get a better handle on the wind it is possible to shoot sub .75moa at 100yds ;)
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rick » 14 Oct 2015, 4:19 pm

Cheers Strikey, appreciate it, I was looking at a Ranger or similar. I was impressed from what I read/saw.
Winchester Model 06 .22 Pump
Winchester Model 9422 .22WMR Lever, with scope
Marlin Model 1895 45-70 Government, Lever
3 shotguns, all 12 Ga, U/O, SKB, FEG (coach) and Fausti
maybe a Boito coach gun, just because I should have a SXS in the safe.
Rick
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 21 Oct 2015, 7:57 am

Usurper wrote:I'm assuming when he says "shooting a long arm in the garage would be pretty dumb" he actually means rifle cartridges, not the type of firearm.

Must be an epic man cave.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles