Air Rifles

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Air Rifles

Post by Strikey » 13 Oct 2015, 6:53 pm

Rick wrote:Does anyone know anything about Daystate Air rifles? I only heard of them the other day, from the Sporting Shooter Annualk, they dont seem too bad. Walther barrel etc on them.

Daystate air rifles are generally the benchmark that other hunting/ all purpose air rifles are judged by, top shelf quality & accuracy, from there you go to Steyr, Anschutz, FWB air rifles but these are your top target air rifles. I own a Daystate Huntsman and as delivered I was happy with its accuracy but not with its very poor shot count, the importers seem to think we need as much velocity that can be obtained but this destroys accuracy with air rifles, mine was pushing 16grn pellets at 1070fps, 18grn pellets at 1040fps, now that sounds impressive and 1 inch groups at 50yds were easy but at those velocities barrel fouling is an issue. I have since detuned it to 950-960fps with the lighter pellets and 900-920 with the heavies, sub half inch groups are the norm and a better shot count which adds up to less pumping :D There is a pic of a group I shot recently posted in the Show us your rimfire groups thread, sorry I don't know how to link it, should give you an idea of what these air rifles are capable of and if I can get a better handle on the wind it is possible to shoot sub .75moa at 100yds ;)
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rick » 14 Oct 2015, 4:19 pm

Cheers Strikey, appreciate it, I was looking at a Ranger or similar. I was impressed from what I read/saw.
Winchester Model 06 .22 Pump
Winchester Model 9422 .22WMR Lever, with scope
Marlin Model 1895 45-70 Government, Lever
3 shotguns, all 12 Ga, U/O, SKB, FEG (coach) and Fausti
maybe a Boito coach gun, just because I should have a SXS in the safe.
Rick
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 21 Oct 2015, 7:57 am

Usurper wrote:I'm assuming when he says "shooting a long arm in the garage would be pretty dumb" he actually means rifle cartridges, not the type of firearm.

Obviously doesn't make a difference whether a round is fired from a self-loading rifle or a bolt action, but a 9mm (as in his example) would require much less of a backdrop/catchment than a .308 (as is a common "longarm").

Must be an epic man cave.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles