Puma Rifles

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Puma Rifles

Post by Heckler303 » 29 Sep 2015, 3:10 pm

On my quest for a good .22 that doesn't break the wallet nor my patience with how it operates, I've been looking around, seeing Brnos, CZs, Omarks, Remingtons, winchesters, stirlings, ermas, but then I came across Puma again. I've seen Puma's rifles around before, but the Puma hunter in 22lr caught my eye for 215 (No scope but dovetails included)

Reviewed here:
http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/rif ... rter-rifle

Looks like an awesome re-make of a Brno (which is essentially a mini mauser), and for the price they go for, what's not to like?

Also threaded barrel for those tacticall silenced bunny-assassination missions at night-time. Though I probably won't be attaching any suppressors to it, would this rifle be perfect for plinking + small game like the review says? Because if so, I can ditch the Model 14 stirling and spend my pocket money on this one.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Re: Puma Rifles

Post by Heckler303 » 29 Sep 2015, 3:21 pm

bentaz wrote:Joker and a few others here have them and I've only heard good reviews, for a bit more you can get them in full k98 timber, a true mini Mauser if you will.
Google norinco jw15 :thumbsup:

TBH I'm not that fond of Norinco, just being chinese they already sound pretty sus.

I have seen the JW15s hanging about, maybe I'll watch a vid or two on them.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 29 Sep 2015, 3:47 pm

Alright then.

As I read more, I'm beginning to like these Pumas, maybe I will get one at some stage.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by joker » 29 Sep 2015, 4:02 pm

Well I bought mine a couple of months and don't have a bad thing to day about it. Although the bolt is quite stiff, you just to work it in to smoothen it out.

I've put over 500 rounds plus through it and haven't had a problem. For $200 you can't go wrong plus an extra magazine.

My friend has had his norinco 22 for the past 3 years and he hasn't had a problem with it either
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 29 Sep 2015, 4:09 pm

joker wrote:Well I bought mine a couple of months and don't have a bad thing to day about it. Although the bolt is quite stiff, you just to work it in to smoothen it out.

I've put over 500 rounds plus through it and haven't had a problem. For $200 you can't go wrong plus an extra magazine.

My friend has had his norinco 22 for the past 3 years and he hasn't had a problem with it either

Sounds pretty good for a .22 then. I'd like an extra mag or two if I get mine sometime.

Another question, can you use shorts, longs and stingers in it or is it just the LR that works?
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by joker » 29 Sep 2015, 4:31 pm

When you say shorts and longs are you referring to subsonic and high velocity ?
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 29 Sep 2015, 4:44 pm

joker wrote:When you say shorts and longs are you referring to subsonic and high velocity ?

Nah, I meant 22. short and 22. Long. Two smaller 22 rounds.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by joker » 29 Sep 2015, 4:51 pm

Heckler303 wrote:
joker wrote:When you say shorts and longs are you referring to subsonic and high velocity ?

Sorry mate I'm not to sure about that.

Oh by the way you can also get a 9 round magazine for $40 or so
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 29 Sep 2015, 5:32 pm

joker wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:

Sorry mate I'm not to sure about that.

Oh by the way you can also get a 9 round magazine for $40 or so

That's honestly pretty cheap for a mag. Sounds good to me :D

Maybe I should really look at buying one the more I look at it.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Strikey » 29 Sep 2015, 6:17 pm

Good luck trying to buy .22 longs or shorts, I am fairly certain longs were discontinued a long time ago and shorts maybe heading that way too, best bet is to find what ammo your rifle likes, then buy a s**t load and learn to shoot it :twisted: :D
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by joker » 30 Sep 2015, 8:24 am

Just out of curiosity what is the difference between long, short and other ammunition? besides the obvious size difference lol.
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 30 Sep 2015, 8:51 am

bentaz wrote:Just the length of the cart case and how much powder they hold.
My daughters old Winchester 1906 is stamped as being chambered for all 3

22. Short is also super dirt cheap. I saw a box of 500 go for 18 dollars, CCI 27grn lead projectiles. No recoil, very quiet, accurate, its plinking and practising ammo, but my friends who do shooting really enjoy them for what they are.

In terms of hunting, im not sure how good they would be, but it'd be worth just sticking with LR because, well, more bullet. :D
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by sandgroperbill » 30 Sep 2015, 11:16 am

The old man has a single shot .22. Shorts are good where you want even less noise and only need short range. I'm not sure how well they would load and feed from a .22lr magazine, though. I would imagine they wouldn't work too well. I would just stick with .22lr, buy a few different ammo types/brands, see which one you like best then just stick to that. Practice practice practice with that ammo then go kill some bunnies.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 01 Oct 2015, 1:38 pm

joker wrote:Just out of curiosity what is the difference between long, short and other ammunition? besides the obvious size difference lol.

"The obvious" is pretty much it actually.

Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure the order was...

.22 short came first (Google it, it really is a tiny cartridge)

.22 long was next, same thing except a longer cartridge to hold more powder.

There was briefly a .22 extra long cartridge which never took off. I dunno why?

Last there was .22lr (.22 Long Rifle as opposed to .22 Long)

I think .22lr came in as a black powder cartridge just before smokeless was invented, and quickly switched to smokeless. With the extra case capacity now available due to using smokeless instead of black powder like the others the .22lr was much higher velocity, so took off as the popular round.

(I think that's all correct but stand to be corrected if someone knows better)

Google image search .22 long vs .22lr and you'll see how similar they are and why you can fire .22long through a .22lr chamber/rifle.

They still make a little .22 short and .22 long ammo, but it's a fraction of the .22lr.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 02 Oct 2015, 6:24 pm

Actually ben, I was talking with the old man on them, he originally owned an original K98 in 22lr he bought off a game-hunter and collector, and it outshot every other 22 he had second to none. When I got him too see reviews and take a look at the JW25, he instantly took a liking to it.

For 500 dollars, a JW25 Norinco copy of a brno (which are copies of mausers in many ways) in the full wood K98 stock and getup, which according to yanks; shoots brilliantly, weighs just two pounds lighter than the original AND looks badass but able to use all kinds of 22s would be my ideal rifle to own.

Now to go through the pocket money for spare 100 dollar notes :lol:
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by pomemax » 02 Oct 2015, 11:09 pm

.22 short .22 long rifle and .22 long just went into wikipedia I never knew long and long rifle were different
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_(disambiguation) more types there
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 03 Oct 2015, 3:37 am

The little Puma .22 bolt action is a direct copy of a Model 1 Bruno, one of the best .22 bolt actions ever built. The magazines are even interchangeable. Put a 4 or 6 power scope on it and you will have a good little rifle. Very reliable, accurate, and will eat just about anything. Trust me them are good value.

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 04 Oct 2015, 12:21 pm

I've got one of these and have put maybe 10,000 rounds through it no worries, it s a great little rifle and shoots damn straight too
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 04 Oct 2015, 1:14 pm

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I should stick with getting Puma JW9 for 150, then next year for my birthday get a JW25 Mauser. That'd be a great present.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by SendIt » 05 Oct 2015, 10:21 am

pomemax wrote:just went into wikipedia I never knew long and long rifle were different

It's an easy enough thing to assume incorrectly unless it's spelled out for you.

You'd have thought they'd pick a more distinct name way back when :unknown: but there's no changing it now.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Plinks » 24 Dec 2017, 11:05 pm

Any one had trouble with the extractor on the JW15 or Puma Hunter model not extracting shells tried different ammo cleaned oiled pulled it apart luckily I had old JW15 bolt which I believe is better than the Puma Hunter version ,gun is only three months old ,the bolt that is being used in it is nearly 25 years old never had a problem with it . Going too take it too the shop after Xmas but wondering if anyone else has had issues?
Plinks
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Plinks » 01 Jan 2018, 9:58 am

Any one had trouble with the extractor on the JW15 or Puma Hunter model not extracting shells tried different ammo cleaned oiled pulled it apart luckily I had old JW15 bolt which I believe is better than the Puma Hunter version ,gun is only three months old ,the bolt that is being used in it is nearly 25 years old never had a problem with it . Going too take it too the shop after Xmas but wondering if anyone else has had issues?
Plinks
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Plinks » 01 Jan 2018, 10:06 am

Actually going too keep older bolt in as I find it superior in the safety and it's nice and worn in over ten thousand rounds without a hitch new Jw15 Hunter Puma levees than 250 rounds and the extractor goes , plus the safety is smaller and when teaching some one too shoot they need too feel secure in the knowledge of the gun not having problems , I used too shoot practical pistols and black powder the only gun that ever let me down was überti Remington 36 and that was my fault because after 18 odd shots you have too clean every piece of the gun soak the frame and every spring moving part , I made mistake reassembling so that one was on me , I used too shoot the 1911a1 commander Norinco and the 9mm version as they were made too US milatary standard chip McCormick and a lot off race gun enthusiasts used the Norinco 1911 a1 frame too build upon because it was so well made so chalking this up too error on in a million
Plinks
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Plinks » 01 Jan 2018, 10:08 am

Heckler303 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Maybe I should stick with getting Puma JW9 for 150, then next year for my birthday get a JW25 Mauser. That'd be a great present.

Let me know how it is , my local shop said they were not selling them new anymore but it looks awesome, and Shoot Straight you bastards .!
Plinks
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Wombat » 01 Jan 2018, 1:43 pm

There are mixed reviews for the Chinese rifles. If a budget accurate .22 is what you want I'd try to pick up a secondhand Brno model 2 or if moneys really tight a Toz 17.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 01 Jan 2018, 5:51 pm

Heaps of good 2nd hand 22lr available.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles