Lithgow crossover versus cz 455

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Lithgow crossover versus cz 455

Post by sandgroperbill » 27 Oct 2015, 11:10 pm

Ok, so before we get started, I know this is apples and oranges, but...

So today I went into my LGS to start looking at new rimfires (I'm hoping to get a new rimfire at the same time my adler arrives... Yeah, I know, gotta love an optimist).

The three that fit and felt just right eete a ruger 77 .22lr, cz 455 and lithgow.

Now the bolt release felt awkward (needed a pen to press it in to release the bolt) and the safety didn't win it any points, but rugers are tough and i like their rotary mags, but I've decided against it.

Now, the cz 455 with three barrels and mags felt quite good and fit me just right. This was contrary to a cz 455 at my other lgs which didn't quite fit me right.

Now, the lithgow also fit just right and balanced well, despite the bull barrel (this was also the walnut stock version) and everything about it reaked serious quality (trigger on this one felt great, too).

Now, all being equal, I think I'd choose the crossover. But things are not equal. The 455 would give me a little more versatility, but i would mainly be shooting .22lr. So, at the same price, i'm trying to decide if being aussie made, cerakoted quality is enough to choose it over the versatility of a rifle giving the option of three calibers.

I thought I'd post my thought processes here and see if anyone had any strong opinions either way
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: Lithgow crossover versus cz 455

Post by AusTac » 28 Oct 2015, 5:26 am

I've got a lithgow and i personally wouldn't change it for a cz, as you said i couldn't go past the quality and engineering for the price, everything is nicely finished and machined, the cerekote is tough as and the stock just fits me

That said the cz are a nice proven rifle, heaps of them out there and they too are well made, and you have the advantage ( i think anyway.. ) of swapping barrels, although some of that 17hmr and 22mag can be dear as poison

Whats going to be the primary use?
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Wes » 28 Oct 2015, 1:14 pm

AusTac wrote:That said the cz are a nice proven rifle, heaps of them out there and they too are well made

That was more or less going to be my comment/vote.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 28 Oct 2015, 3:13 pm

Only reason I bought the three-barrel 455 was because I couldn't decide if I wanted a .17hmr or 22wmr. The reality is, the rifle can only be one calibre at a time, so if you know what you want, just buy it. I already have a .22lr, so it's likely the 455 will end up as either a dedicated 17 or 22 mag once I decide what I like most. The .22lr barrel I'll keep for target shooting and plinking, the 17/22mag for hunting (most likely 17), and the other barrel will likely be sold.

The only other reason to get three barrels would be if you already had a few 455s and wanted to swap barrels between actions: sightless on a Lux or FS, for example, so you could mount a long scope without the rear leaf getting in the way.
Last edited by Flyer on 28 Oct 2015, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Oct 2015, 6:41 pm

The Lithgow hands down over the 455

Firstly because I'm not a fan of quick release barrels

Secondly... Australian made

Thirdly ... Australian made quality

These 2 rifles are world's apart in appeal IMO
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by XRMATE » 28 Oct 2015, 10:09 pm

In another forum I read that you need to adjust the follower tab angles in the mag to suit each rifle.
XRMATE
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 29 Oct 2015, 12:47 pm

AusTac wrote:Whats going to be the primary use?

Primary use will be rabbits and foxes, with ranges varying depending on the property. Some of the properties are just hobby farms having rabbit issues and others are small farms a little further out, but centre fire isn't an option due to neighbours. So I'm looking at upgrading from the single shot .22. Now, having said that the downside to both options is they lack irons, I like to use irons for .22lr, but I'm happy enough scoping it (and already have a spare scope that should be quite suitable).

For longer ranges and bigger stuff, I can pull out a centrefire. In the meantime, ammo for either is not a problem. I hunt with different people, and depending on who I'm hunting with, I could switch between the .17 and the .22 to match (this being the attraction of the three barrel cz), as well as being able to switch Cal's to best suit where I'm shooting.

But the lithgow was just screaming quality... it would also mean not having to sight in again each time I switch barrels.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by lole » 30 Oct 2015, 1:39 pm

If having to zero again after changing barrels doesn't bother you the switch barrel sounds like the practical option to me; since you've mentioned varying size varmints and distances is what you'll be using it for.

Other wise the .22lr will do the same job if you can adjust your shooting style by getting closer to targets and accept passing on a few shots if range doesn't allow.

2c
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 30 Oct 2015, 2:05 pm

Just spoke to WAPOL who have said it wouldn't be an issue licensing the 455 with two barrels but they wouldn't license it with three as the .17hmr and .22mag couldn't be justified, which means I would have to leave one of the barrels with the dealer.

Starting to lean further towards the lithy...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Flyer » 30 Oct 2015, 9:23 pm

WAPOL gave me the OK for my three-barrel 455 a couple of days ago. Another of our club members has one, too. You just need to explain that even though there are three barrels, it's still one rifle and can only be used one calibre at a time, each for a different purpose. Depending on who you talk to, I think the police understand it's better to have one rifle that can perform three functions than three rifles that can each perform one.

But as I also mentioned earlier, if you already know what you need, you're probably better off buying two rifles - a .22lr and a .17hmr/22wmr - instead of three barrels. It'll be less hassle swapping barrels and sighting in each time, and it probably wouldn't be that much more expensive to purchase.

Another option would be a two-barrel (.22lr/.17hmr) CZ455 varmint rifle combo here - if they were in stock: http://www.gunemporium.com.au/CZ-455-Va ... 7HMR.html#

Ask around - you might be able to find a two-barrel deal from a gun shop. I spoke to Claytons the other day, and they said they had a few CZ barrels left over from customers who had bought three-barrel combos and only wanted two.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 30 Oct 2015, 10:59 pm

It's just WAPOL being WAPOL... Depends on who you speak to as to what response you get. I'm thinking I might as well get the three barrel as it has three mags, two being used for both .22mag and .17hmr. I will provide justification for all three and see what happens (if I go the cz rather than the lithy).

The LGS said this afternoon they've had several licensed with all three barrels, so just a muppet at Wapol trying to make it up as they go. Still seriously tempted by the lithgow, though, as it will primarily be used as a .22
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by 5Tom » 01 Nov 2015, 4:20 pm

I considered a CZ with interchangeable barrels but the thought of zeroing every time after barrel swaps put me off.

My Lithgow .22 has been absolutely superb in accuracy and quality. My only issue I had with it was the scope alignment to my eye. I needed an offset scope mount to bring eye-relief to proper position as the picatinny rails are limited. This may not be an issue for you, but it was an easy fix for me.

Having said all that, for the price, I wouldn't hesitate in buying another.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Elek » 02 Nov 2015, 9:19 am

sandgroperbill wrote:The LGS said this afternoon they've had several licensed with all three barrels, so just a muppet at Wapol trying to make it up as they go.

That's how these registry guys roll :?
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by stefo » 24 Nov 2015, 11:17 am

Did u get the lithgow ?

If so .. pics !
stefo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 24 Nov 2015, 11:23 am

nope, haven't got anything yet. It'll be after Christmas sometime (bit skint in the lead up to Christmas). Also, I'll be getting it when my Adler finally arrives. Too expensive to license individual firearms in WA ($180 per application, so you try to get what you need all at once and put it on one application).

I'm still toying with what I'm going to get. I may get a nice second hand, maybe a cz452 and then get a desperate .17hmr? Perhaps a timber ruger american? I dunno. decisions decisions.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by AusC » 24 Nov 2015, 12:40 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Too expensive to license individual firearms in WA ($180 per application, so you try to get what you need all at once and put it on one application).

Daylight f***ing robbery.

A PTA here is $20 or so.

Everyone at the WA registry must be "earning" a pretty nice executive paycheck.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 24 Nov 2015, 12:45 pm

sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by chacka » 26 Nov 2015, 10:00 am

Noting fee?
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 26 Nov 2015, 11:29 am

Each time you apply to add firearms to your license, you have to first buy the firearm, provide justification (ie property letters, etc) and pay a noting fee. Then you wait to see if it has been approved. And no, that's not a mistake. You have to purchase the firearm before you can apply to have it. But you're hot allowed to have it until it has been approved.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 26 Nov 2015, 12:17 pm

My 2 cents worth would be if you'r using it for foxes and rabbits, I'd go for the 22mag or 17, heaps better than the 22lr.

Cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 26 Nov 2015, 12:22 pm

Nope, will definitely be getting a .22lr and 12gauge. The question I'm asking myself is whether to get the 455 with three Cals, a .22 and .17hmr or just the .22. Or perhaps a second hand and a new, or a couple of nice second hands, etc. Either way, I won't be doing anything before christmas
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Releb » 30 Nov 2015, 10:39 am

sandgroperbill wrote:Each time you apply to add firearms to your license, you have to first buy the firearm, provide justification (ie property letters, etc) and pay a noting fee. Then you wait to see if it has been approved. And no, that's not a mistake. You have to purchase the firearm before you can apply to have it.

That must be nice for the dealers bank balance.
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 30 Nov 2015, 11:56 am

No, the dealers don't get it, the government gets it. You have to pay it at a post office.

Oh, I'm also going to see if I can find a fin light to handle
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 30 Nov 2015, 12:22 pm

What a completely rediculous system!

This makes absolutely no sense in any practical or logical way.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 30 Nov 2015, 2:44 pm

Oh, but it makes complete sense. The idea is to make it as drawn out, onerous, difficult and expensive as possible to disincentivise people from applying. The more onerous and expensive the process, the fewer people that will apply
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 30 Nov 2015, 5:01 pm

AusC wrote:
sandgroperbill wrote:Too expensive to license individual firearms in WA ($180 per application, so you try to get what you need all at once and put it on one application).

Daylight f***ing robbery.

A PTA here is $20 or so.

Everyone at the WA registry must be "earning" a pretty nice executive paycheck.

In VIC its 9 dollars and some cents ... and theyre issued pretty much when received, 1 0r 2 hrs or maybe a bit more depending - if via online system (proving they're redundant, pointless, waste of time and effort etc...)

WA - I can not understand why you guys DO NOT MARCH ON YOUR PARLIAMENT?????

As far as Lithy VS Annie....sorry CZ

Lithy (been doing 22s for about 3 days) VS CZ (been doing 22s....forever!!!)

So...... AFAIC, its a given
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Lyam » 01 Dec 2015, 11:07 am

Few post-release hickups with the Lithy's too as it turns out.

So a lot of the feedback says anyway (I don't have one).
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by OODAH » 03 Dec 2015, 2:48 pm

I also was tossing up between the CZ and the Lithgow also a Ruger, but I ended up going a CZ 452. Thought I would leave the LA101 until Lithgow sorted out all there little problems.

p.s NSW is $30 bucks and 28 days later for your PTA's.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 04 Dec 2015, 8:52 am

Better than QLD has been historically but 28 days is still too long, no reason us LAFO should wait.

If we must have them we need to get out of the dark ages and at least onto computer nationwide like VIC for turning around permits in hours.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by OODAH » 04 Dec 2015, 9:58 am

Bourt wrote:
If we must have them we need to get out of the dark ages and at least onto computer nationwide like VIC for turning around permits in hours.

That would be nice :clap:
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles