First .22lr Recommendations

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

First .22lr Recommendations

Post by OODAH » 13 Nov 2015, 8:12 am

So I've always been around guns growing up whether it be at home, at a mates property or at the range and I've finally pulled out my finger and got my self a licence so I can own my own. My partners very skeptical about it with all the current media and what not. She has only ever used a 308 and was told to just put it up against the shoulder and pull the trigger by some hick! As you can imagine the reaction from a 55kg girl with what would of felt like a cannon was not positive.
I want a good .22 to start off my inventory and turn a negative experience into a positive. I originally was looking at a Browning BL22 grade 2 (I know there expensive but this is a gun I expect to be able hand down) but it seems I'm not going to be able to get my hands on the particular one I want before xmas so I started looking at the Lithgow arms LA101 crossover but now I'm skeptical as of all the mixed reports of problems. Any recommendations for a good quality .22lr thats going to be a decent all rounder?
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: First .22lr Recommendations

Post by Baronvonrort » 13 Nov 2015, 9:06 am

Anshutz 1416, with thumbhole stock for modern look.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 13 Nov 2015, 9:08 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 15 Feb 2017, 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Homer » 13 Nov 2015, 11:02 am

G'Day Fella's,

OODAH, get yourself a New CZ 452 or Lithgow LA-101!
They are both very well designed and made firearms, and will last several life times of use!
FYI, here are a few groups I've shot with my CZ 452 in .22LR.
DSCN1176.JPG
DSCN1176.JPG (539.06 KiB) Viewed 7160 times

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by AusTac » 13 Nov 2015, 11:20 am

Cz, savage ( if you have to ) or a crossover i like my lithgow, tough as and good quality
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 13 Nov 2015, 12:05 pm

I wouldn't be too put off by the "mixed reports" of the Crossover. For every one person that has an issue with a particular Crossover, there are many who are very happy, with no functional issues whatsoever. Also, the people at Lithgow seem very keen to sort out any issues that arise. Being a new gun put out by a company that hasn't done a new civilian firearm in decades, i'd be looking at any issues as teething problems that can be sorted under warranty, not as deal breakers for a poorly made rifle.

Hell, if someone would buy my T-bolt, i'b be buying a Crossover my self.

Mind you, i do love my t-bolt; fits me well, shoots great, fast to cycle for pest control, looks pretty; if i had extra cash, i'd keep the T-bolt and buy the Crossover as well...... i just want the Lithgow because it's Australian Made, simple as that; i've also read enough good things to have confidence in them in the long term.

For a first 22lr, i wouldn't personally get a lever action. They are not known to be the most reliably accurate platform and you want (or i do, anyway) your first 22lr to be a good accurate gun that will help you refine your shooting technique through consistent practice with a consistent rifle.

Just my take on it. Good luck!!!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wylie27 » 13 Nov 2015, 12:53 pm

I have an issue with mine but I would still recommend it.

Tack driver, well built and I have to say pretty good customer service.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 13 Nov 2015, 1:17 pm

Thanks for the advice, I just lodged my PTA form so I have 28 days to come to a conclusion. I'm going to get into a shop so i can look and get a feel for something I like. I really really like the idea of buying an Australian built rifle plus i like the look of the LA101 i just hope if I go that way I don't get a dud!
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 13 Nov 2015, 1:26 pm

I've only handled one Crossover in a store but it fit me well and was smooth as in the action. Certainly left me wanting one.

The CZ variants i handled didn't fit me so well or feel quite right in my hands.

If you can stretch the budget another few hundred, then you can look at the Sako Finnfire2 as well... if they made a lefty, that would be my choice for a "life time" 22lr... or a Sako Quad.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 13 Nov 2015, 1:38 pm

I almost always suggest a manually operated action for a first gun and the Browning BL-22 qualifies there. A bolt action might slow down the rate of fire as well as making checking the action a bit quicker but I don't think you can go wrong with the Browning.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by OODAH » 13 Nov 2015, 3:28 pm

I've only heard really good things about the BL22 and I have always wanted a lever action even my local gun shop speaks very highly of them but can only get his hands on a ser 1 or a laminate stainless type and I figure if I'm going to lay down that sorta money on a .22 its going to be exactly what I want!
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 13 Nov 2015, 3:45 pm

Damn Homer that's some tight grouping what distance was that shot at?

Homer wrote:G'Day Fella's,

They are both very well designed and made firearms, and will last several life times of use!
DSCN1176.JPG

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Nov 2015, 4:22 pm

DSCN1176.JPG

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

IMO If you can afford it go for the Lithgow, if your budget is a bit tighter get a 452.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 13 Nov 2015, 4:24 pm

In the interest of bring your Mrs along on your journey I'd suggest you stay away from the heavier Lithgow and go with one of the lightweight bolt actions like the CZ 452 or an old BRNO (only if the condition is very good or better)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Nov 2015, 4:43 pm

I like the Daughters 2nd Hand Savage Mk 2 - it's been a fantastic little rifle for hunting, very accurate to boot and cost $450 from memory

Savage Mk2 BV

Some 50m and 100m groups

My little Brno Mod 2 is a fantastic little hunting rifle too, accurate and a joy to own and use (cost me $180 - 30yrs ago)

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Homer » 13 Nov 2015, 5:57 pm

OODAH wrote:Damn Homer that's some tight grouping what distance was that shot at?

DSCN1176.JPG

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

50 Meters!
That's Meters not Yards and that was Lasered.
Homers a Happy Lad!!!

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by rsj223 » 13 Nov 2015, 7:10 pm

Gwion wrote:I wouldn't be too put off by the "mixed reports" of the Crossover. For every one person that has an issue with a particular Crossover, there are many who are very happy, with no functional issues whatsoever. Also, the people at Lithgow seem very keen to sort out any issues that arise. Being a new gun put out by a company that hasn't done a new civilian firearm in decades, i'd be looking at any issues as teething problems that can be sorted under warranty, not as deal breakers for a poorly made rifle.

Hell, if someone would buy my T-bolt, i'b be buying a Crossover my self.

Mind you, i do love my t-bolt; fits me well, shoots great, fast to cycle for pest control, looks pretty; if i had extra cash, i'd keep the T-bolt and buy the Crossover as well...... i just want the Lithgow because it's Australian Made, simple as that; i've also read enough good things to have confidence in them in the long term.

For a first 22lr, i wouldn't personally get a lever action. They are not known to be the most reliably accurate platform and you want (or i do, anyway) your first 22lr to be a good accurate gun that will help you refine your shooting technique through consistent practice with a consistent rifle.

Just my take on it. Good luck!!!

I'll swap my Lithgow?
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by newsteadvic » 13 Nov 2015, 11:08 pm

Don't get hung up on buying the first one and only heirloom rifle. I still have only one of the first five I bought, no regrets.

All suggestions have been good. I would second the idea of a bolt action before a lever, only in that they are easier to clear and prove safe.

What about a Slazenger/ Lithgow repeater? The Marlin 25 series are good, as are the Savage mark II. Every thing Anschutz seems accurate, like the Brno series. Get something without breaking the bank and start to shoot! I would rather drop less money on an older Marlin or Savage and more on glass.
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 13 Nov 2015, 11:55 pm

Shop around for a good Bruno Model 2....it will outlast us all.

COLLECTOR 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 14 Nov 2015, 1:07 am

My lgs has a brno model 2. Condition is good (not very good, but good). It just didn't fit me quite right
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 14 Nov 2015, 1:44 am

rsj223 wrote:I'll swap my Lithgow?

Is it a lefty???
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Nov 2015, 6:29 am

Homer wrote:
OODAH wrote:Damn Homer that's some tight grouping what distance was that shot at?

DSCN1176.JPG

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

50 Meters!
That's Meters not Yards and that was Lasered.
Homers a Happy Lad!!!

Doh!
Homer

What optics are you running on yours Homer? You do know that 50yds and 50m is like 4m difference right? not exactly pushing the boundaries in a big way :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sam45 » 14 Nov 2015, 7:59 am

I see no one has put up a Rugger 22LR are these no good?

They are a good price.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by OODAH » 14 Nov 2015, 8:57 am

I'm thinking I might head up to my LGS this arvo and see what they have, I've spent the morning looking at the savage mk2 and there super cheap for a new gun and it seems to work for Bigfellascott and his daughter. Big question is though will it fit me? I also want to feel the CZ 452 and LA101. I know I'm going to walk in there like a fat kid into a candy store but fingers crossed I walk out with a few answers and a better idea of what will suit me.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Nov 2015, 9:07 am

Yeah try em all mate and see what feels right to you, there will be something there that you'll like alright. :thumbsup:

Good luck
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 14 Nov 2015, 12:48 pm

Sam45 wrote:I see no one has put up a Rugger 22LR are these no good?

They are a good price.

I assume you're talking about the american rimfire? Yes, they seem to be good. They feel light and great, but heirloom implies timber stock, which would mean then ordering a boyds stock for it.

A 77/22 or featherweight are good reliable rifles, but you need a pen for the bolt release on the featherweight (not sure with the other 77s).

In general, rugers are good, reliable and long lasting hunting rifles, but rugers aren't generally considered target rifles. Definitely worth looking at, though
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Nov 2015, 1:34 pm

What about a Rem? first rifle I bought..... never had a problem / well made / good shooter.....
At the time I almost bought a Marlin bolt with tube mag, I liked the idea of dropping in a dozen, 14 rounds?? maybe a few more, then I went for the detachable mag.....

I wouldnt go lever for the first, a bolt is in my opinion preferable for 'learning' the handle a rifle...mag in / mag out / drop to unload/ cycle to clear chamber...

Go to the dealer, have a fondle of all the 22s you can.....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Chronos » 14 Nov 2015, 5:35 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:What about a Rem? first rifle I bought..... never had a problem / well made / good shooter.....
At the time I almost bought a Marlin bolt with tube mag, I liked the idea of dropping in a dozen, 14 rounds?? maybe a few more, then I went for the detachable mag.....

I wouldnt go lever for the first, a bolt is in my opinion preferable for 'learning' the handle a rifle...mag in / mag out / drop to unload/ cycle to clear chamber...

Go to the dealer, have a fondle of all the 22s you can.....

I don't think I've seen a Remington .22 rifle in a gunshop in Australia. What models are available here?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Nov 2015, 6:33 pm

Mine is about 20yrs old, I'm not sure whether they still sell any bolt action 22 here, second handies might be found.....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by OODAH » 14 Nov 2015, 7:05 pm

What a disappointing afternoon I drove an hour and 40 minutes to look at 22s. I walk into the store all wide eyed and I get service straight away. I let the fella know im after a good quality .22 he replies why? I let him no its my first gun and that's what I want. As if to big note himself infront of my partner he lets us know he started with .308 and .223 because I quote "their real guns". To cut a long story short, I push to the point and ask what one he suggests and he points out a pink one. I should of called it there and then and found someone else but I persisted with questions and got a nice Ruger in my hands didn't like the snake skin stock but it felt good and came with a scope for $650 I'm going to go to another shop and if I head back to that shop I'll chew off my trigger finger before I talk to that guy again!
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles