First .22lr Recommendations

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: First .22lr Recommendations

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 13 Nov 2015, 11:55 pm

Shop around for a good Bruno Model 2....it will outlast us all.

COLLECTOR 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 14 Nov 2015, 1:07 am

My lgs has a brno model 2. Condition is good (not very good, but good). It just didn't fit me quite right
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 14 Nov 2015, 1:44 am

rsj223 wrote:I'll swap my Lithgow?

Is it a lefty???
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Nov 2015, 6:29 am

Homer wrote:
OODAH wrote:Damn Homer that's some tight grouping what distance was that shot at?

Homer wrote:G'Day Fella's,

OODAH, get yourself a New CZ 452 or Lithgow LA-101!
They are both very well designed and made firearms, and will last several life times of use!
FYI, here are a few groups I've shot with my CZ 452 in .22LR.
DSCN1176.JPG

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

50 Meters!
That's Meters not Yards and that was Lasered.
Homers a Happy Lad!!!

Doh!
Homer

What optics are you running on yours Homer? You do know that 50yds and 50m is like 4m difference right? not exactly pushing the boundaries in a big way :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sam45 » 14 Nov 2015, 7:59 am

I see no one has put up a Rugger 22LR are these no good?

They are a good price.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by OODAH » 14 Nov 2015, 8:57 am

I'm thinking I might head up to my LGS this arvo and see what they have, I've spent the morning looking at the savage mk2 and there super cheap for a new gun and it seems to work for Bigfellascott and his daughter. Big question is though will it fit me? I also want to feel the CZ 452 and LA101. I know I'm going to walk in there like a fat kid into a candy store but fingers crossed I walk out with a few answers and a better idea of what will suit me.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Nov 2015, 9:07 am

Yeah try em all mate and see what feels right to you, there will be something there that you'll like alright. :thumbsup:

Good luck
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 14 Nov 2015, 12:48 pm

Sam45 wrote:I see no one has put up a Rugger 22LR are these no good?

They are a good price.

I assume you're talking about the american rimfire? Yes, they seem to be good. They feel light and great, but heirloom implies timber stock, which would mean then ordering a boyds stock for it.

A 77/22 or featherweight are good reliable rifles, but you need a pen for the bolt release on the featherweight (not sure with the other 77s).

In general, rugers are good, reliable and long lasting hunting rifles, but rugers aren't generally considered target rifles. Definitely worth looking at, though
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Nov 2015, 1:34 pm

What about a Rem? first rifle I bought..... never had a problem / well made / good shooter.....
At the time I almost bought a Marlin bolt with tube mag, I liked the idea of dropping in a dozen, 14 rounds?? maybe a few more, then I went for the detachable mag.....

I wouldnt go lever for the first, a bolt is in my opinion preferable for 'learning' the handle a rifle...mag in / mag out / drop to unload/ cycle to clear chamber...

Go to the dealer, have a fondle of all the 22s you can.....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Chronos » 14 Nov 2015, 5:35 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:What about a Rem? first rifle I bought..... never had a problem / well made / good shooter.....
At the time I almost bought a Marlin bolt with tube mag, I liked the idea of dropping in a dozen, 14 rounds?? maybe a few more, then I went for the detachable mag.....

I wouldnt go lever for the first, a bolt is in my opinion preferable for 'learning' the handle a rifle...mag in / mag out / drop to unload/ cycle to clear chamber...

Go to the dealer, have a fondle of all the 22s you can.....

I don't think I've seen a Remington .22 rifle in a gunshop in Australia. What models are available here?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Nov 2015, 6:33 pm

Mine is about 20yrs old, I'm not sure whether they still sell any bolt action 22 here, second handies might be found.....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by OODAH » 14 Nov 2015, 7:05 pm

What a disappointing afternoon I drove an hour and 40 minutes to look at 22s. I walk into the store all wide eyed and I get service straight away. I let the fella know im after a good quality .22 he replies why? I let him no its my first gun and that's what I want. As if to big note himself infront of my partner he lets us know he started with .308 and .223 because I quote "their real guns". To cut a long story short, I push to the point and ask what one he suggests and he points out a pink one. I should of called it there and then and found someone else but I persisted with questions and got a nice Ruger in my hands didn't like the snake skin stock but it felt good and came with a scope for $650 I'm going to go to another shop and if I head back to that shop I'll chew off my trigger finger before I talk to that guy again!
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Nov 2015, 7:30 pm

That's pretty ordinary....he probably wasnt the owner, and didnt really want to be there on a saturday... I'd ring up the Owner and have a word about his guy not wanting your money and it walking to another store... ;)

650 for a Rooga,is a bit much AFAIC

Starting on a 308 though... he's da man... probably developed a flinch that will stay with him forever, s far as real guns, granted I dont shoot 22 much, except intro'ing newbies, but the humble old 22 has no doubt taken a lot more game (small stuff) the the 308 and 223 combined :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 14 Nov 2015, 7:31 pm

That sucks, man. Hope you can find a better place to shop.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Chronos » 14 Nov 2015, 7:43 pm

Disappointing w*nkers like that work in the industry. I'd ring and tell the manager how disappointed noted you were with your service there. Thing is the bloke probably can't shoot for love nor money because he's developed all kinds of dad habits he used to cope with his reactions to shooting it as a new shooter. We see it all the time.

These blokes come to the range with their mates or girl friend to show off. More often than not with a little coaching their girlfriend out shoots them. They'll make all kinds of excuses about the gun, the scope or the wind but at the end of the day it's their complete lack of technique that lets them down.

Don't be that guy :thumbsup:

Go find another shop and try again. You'll get better advice from someone who is interested in getting you as a long term customer not just sell you a "real gun" and a couple of boxes of ammo and never see you again.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 14 Nov 2015, 8:57 pm

Gwion wrote:
rsj223 wrote:I'll swap my Lithgow?

Is it a lefty???

Nah sorry
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Nov 2015, 10:29 pm

Not an unfamiliar story sadly, hopefully you'll fine a store that actually wants to sell you something. What rifles did they end up showing you?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 14 Nov 2015, 11:04 pm

The most important thing is that you need to find your rifle, not somebody else's. What fits and feels right for you may be completely wrong for the person standing next to you. Ignore the dropkick in the store, there is NOTHING wrong with a .22. And who cares if he doesn't like the same thing, that's his problem, not yours. But yes, look in other shops... No excuse for that sort of service
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by OODAH » 15 Nov 2015, 8:57 am

The Ruger felt good, the CZ was to short and it wasn't until the owner recommended it with an extended butt pad (i cant believe i didn't think of it or the salesman recommended it) he wouldn't even bother getting the Lithgow out said to many problems and too expensive when you buy the ruger with glass for half the price and unfortunately they had no savage mk2's in stock to try. The owner was fantastic I didn't want to make a scene so i didn't point the bloke but we did talk 22's for awhile and he showed me some of his pride n joys.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 15 Nov 2015, 9:02 am

I got fantastic service when i went to look at the handguns I told him I was still on my probation period and was 6 months out but he showed me some recommendations explained a few things and also answered all my gf questions in depth the way a salesman should be so It's just unfortunate i got the first guy but there's always next time aye.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Nov 2015, 9:33 am

At least you got to handle a few diff brands mate, just choose the one that felt best for you and suits your needs. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 15 Nov 2015, 10:08 am

Someone in sales shouldn't be making judgement calls for you. If you wanted to look at the Lithgow, he should have let you, while explaining what he thought were the issues with it.

Just my take.

Anyway, no hurry. Keep shopping; even when you think you've found what you want, have another look around to be sure, to be sure. Doesn't hurt to get a look at as many as you can. Have you handled an Ansutz or Sako yet?

Good luck.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by OODAH » 16 Nov 2015, 1:16 pm

Gwion wrote:Have you handled an Ansutz or Sako yet?

Not yet man, I'm going to get with some of the guys and try and borrow theirs for a range day and maybe go for a hunt. Also going to try and get to a few more gun shops. It's just so hard into a store when I work 6 days a week 8 to 5 :thumbsdown:
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 16 Nov 2015, 2:17 pm

Yeah... time is an issue for some, distance more so for others. Good plan getting a run with other people. Get a feel, get a few shots and get the real low down from real owners. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Norton » 18 Nov 2015, 9:43 am

OODAH wrote:What a disappointing afternoon

Don't let it spoil the experience for you mate.

Unfortunately there are more than a few wankers in the industry who think they're hero's because they work at firearms dealer. Whoop de f***ing do :unknown:

Like Genesis and Chronos said, they're all talk and when you bump into one of them at the range you see they can't shoot for s**t.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by OODAH » 20 Nov 2015, 9:53 am

Going to head to another shop on Saturday, need to get some ammo so I can use my mates .22 while I'm there anyway. Also going to look at a newer model CZ thats had about 20 rounds put through it this afternoon, seems like a good price and comes with a scope, unfortunately thats all I know about it right now.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 20 Nov 2015, 10:07 am

OODAH wrote:Going to head to another shop on Saturday, need to get some ammo so I can use my mates .22 while I'm there anyway. Also going to look at a newer model CZ thats had about 20 rounds put through it this afternoon, seems like a good price and comes with a scope, unfortunately thats all I know about it right now.

from what I'm reading (I'm not a NSWelshman myself) you need a firearm registered in that chambering to buy ammo?? So maybe you cant buy a box a 22 rounds?? (It wouldnt surprise me...)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Nov 2015, 11:00 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
OODAH wrote:Going to head to another shop on Saturday, need to get some ammo so I can use my mates .22 while I'm there anyway. Also going to look at a newer model CZ thats had about 20 rounds put through it this afternoon, seems like a good price and comes with a scope, unfortunately thats all I know about it right now.

from what I'm reading (I'm not a NSWelshman myself) you need a firearm registered in that chambering to buy ammo?? So maybe you cant buy a box a 22 rounds?? (It wouldnt surprise me...)

How do they know what cals you have, you show em your license when purchasing ammo, they write down what you bought and how much, note your licence details and that's it, you don't have to prove you own a certain cal to buy the ammo. Might be diff for handgun ammo, don't know I don't own any cap guns. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by OODAH » 20 Nov 2015, 11:47 am

Yeah in NSW you have to prove the ammo your buying is for a gun you own but not in QLD, so I can jump the border and all I have to do is produce my licence.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Nov 2015, 12:20 pm

OODAH wrote:Yeah in NSW you have to prove the ammo your buying is for a gun you own but not in QLD, so I can jump the border and all I have to do is produce my licence.

How do you prove what cals you own? I've never had to do it ever. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles