First .22lr Recommendations

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: First .22lr Recommendations

Post by OODAH » 15 Nov 2015, 8:57 am

The Ruger felt good, the CZ was to short and it wasn't until the owner recommended it with an extended butt pad (i cant believe i didn't think of it or the salesman recommended it) he wouldn't even bother getting the Lithgow out said to many problems and too expensive when you buy the ruger with glass for half the price and unfortunately they had no savage mk2's in stock to try. The owner was fantastic I didn't want to make a scene so i didn't point the bloke but we did talk 22's for awhile and he showed me some of his pride n joys.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 15 Nov 2015, 9:02 am

I got fantastic service when i went to look at the handguns I told him I was still on my probation period and was 6 months out but he showed me some recommendations explained a few things and also answered all my gf questions in depth the way a salesman should be so It's just unfortunate i got the first guy but there's always next time aye.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Nov 2015, 9:33 am

At least you got to handle a few diff brands mate, just choose the one that felt best for you and suits your needs. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 15 Nov 2015, 10:08 am

Someone in sales shouldn't be making judgement calls for you. If you wanted to look at the Lithgow, he should have let you, while explaining what he thought were the issues with it.

Just my take.

Anyway, no hurry. Keep shopping; even when you think you've found what you want, have another look around to be sure, to be sure. Doesn't hurt to get a look at as many as you can. Have you handled an Ansutz or Sako yet?

Good luck.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by OODAH » 16 Nov 2015, 1:16 pm

Gwion wrote:Have you handled an Ansutz or Sako yet?

Not yet man, I'm going to get with some of the guys and try and borrow theirs for a range day and maybe go for a hunt. Also going to try and get to a few more gun shops. It's just so hard into a store when I work 6 days a week 8 to 5 :thumbsdown:
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 16 Nov 2015, 2:17 pm

Yeah... time is an issue for some, distance more so for others. Good plan getting a run with other people. Get a feel, get a few shots and get the real low down from real owners. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Norton » 18 Nov 2015, 9:43 am

OODAH wrote:What a disappointing afternoon

Don't let it spoil the experience for you mate.

Unfortunately there are more than a few wankers in the industry who think they're hero's because they work at firearms dealer. Whoop de f***ing do :unknown:

Like Genesis and Chronos said, they're all talk and when you bump into one of them at the range you see they can't shoot for s**t.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by OODAH » 20 Nov 2015, 9:53 am

Going to head to another shop on Saturday, need to get some ammo so I can use my mates .22 while I'm there anyway. Also going to look at a newer model CZ thats had about 20 rounds put through it this afternoon, seems like a good price and comes with a scope, unfortunately thats all I know about it right now.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 20 Nov 2015, 10:07 am

OODAH wrote:Going to head to another shop on Saturday, need to get some ammo so I can use my mates .22 while I'm there anyway. Also going to look at a newer model CZ thats had about 20 rounds put through it this afternoon, seems like a good price and comes with a scope, unfortunately thats all I know about it right now.

from what I'm reading (I'm not a NSWelshman myself) you need a firearm registered in that chambering to buy ammo?? So maybe you cant buy a box a 22 rounds?? (It wouldnt surprise me...)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Nov 2015, 11:00 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
OODAH wrote:Going to head to another shop on Saturday, need to get some ammo so I can use my mates .22 while I'm there anyway. Also going to look at a newer model CZ thats had about 20 rounds put through it this afternoon, seems like a good price and comes with a scope, unfortunately thats all I know about it right now.

from what I'm reading (I'm not a NSWelshman myself) you need a firearm registered in that chambering to buy ammo?? So maybe you cant buy a box a 22 rounds?? (It wouldnt surprise me...)

How do they know what cals you have, you show em your license when purchasing ammo, they write down what you bought and how much, note your licence details and that's it, you don't have to prove you own a certain cal to buy the ammo. Might be diff for handgun ammo, don't know I don't own any cap guns. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by OODAH » 20 Nov 2015, 11:47 am

Yeah in NSW you have to prove the ammo your buying is for a gun you own but not in QLD, so I can jump the border and all I have to do is produce my licence.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Nov 2015, 12:20 pm

OODAH wrote:Yeah in NSW you have to prove the ammo your buying is for a gun you own but not in QLD, so I can jump the border and all I have to do is produce my licence.

How do you prove what cals you own? I've never had to do it ever. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by OODAH » 20 Nov 2015, 1:24 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
OODAH wrote:Yeah in NSW you have to prove the ammo your buying is for a gun you own but not in QLD, so I can jump the border and all I have to do is produce my licence.

How do you prove what cals you own? I've never had to do it ever. :unknown:

What do I need to buy ammunition?
The person purchasing the ammunition must produce to the firearms dealer, at the time of sale:
* Identification with name and address of the buyer, and
* A current firearms licence or permit for a firearm which takes that ammunition or permit which authorises the buyer to
purchase the ammunition, and
Where the ammunition is subject to the requirements of section 65A of the Act (ammunition for pistols), in addition to the
above, the buyer must produce at the time of sale:
* The registration certificate for the firearm taking that type of ammunition, or
* An issued permit to acquire for a firearm which takes that ammunition.
Sections 65 & 65A of the Act. :thumbsdown:
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 20 Nov 2015, 1:41 pm

The way i read that (which is just me and this is the internet) is that you can buy ammo for categories you are licenced for; unless you are buying PISTOL ammo, in which case you have to provide a registration cert for the given firearm you want to feed.

Is it just me???
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wes » 20 Nov 2015, 1:55 pm

OODAH wrote:As if to big note himself infront of my partner he lets us know he started with .308 and .223 because I quote "their real guns".

Oh my god he shot a .308 first? That's a cannon, only like 10 people in the world can handle the power! :sarcasm: :lol:

What a wanker.

Probably never even been hunting and couldn't hit a bullseye if his life depended on it.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by OODAH » 20 Nov 2015, 2:15 pm

No where that I can see specifies Longarm or Pistol just Ammunition in general

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... 4_V1.6.pdf
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 20 Nov 2015, 2:23 pm

Wes wrote:
OODAH wrote:As if to big note himself infront of my partner he lets us know he started with .308 and .223 because I quote "their real guns".

Oh my god he shot a .308 first? That's a cannon, only like 10 people in the world can handle the power! :sarcasm: :lol:

What a wanker.

Probably never even been hunting and couldn't hit a bullseye if his life depended on it.

Trust me I was not impressed and the misses even less. Every one else I have spoken to though is more then happy too help find the right .22 :drinks:
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 20 Nov 2015, 2:26 pm

OODAH wrote:No where that I can see specifies Longarm or Pistol just Ammunition in general

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... 4_V1.6.pdf

R I SEE!!! section 65A (AMMUNITION FOR PISTOLS)

I'll stop now :oops:
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 20 Nov 2015, 4:01 pm

Only relates to pistols mate. The only thing you may have trouble with is rifles chambered in pistol calibers. I had to show my rego papers when buying factory ammo for my lever action rifle in .44mag.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 20 Nov 2015, 5:36 pm

Well hot damn I just put down money on a CZ 452 with a threaded barrel and Tasco 3-9x40 scope
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 20 Nov 2015, 5:38 pm

:drinks:

Good stuff OODAH

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 21 Nov 2015, 12:38 pm

we expect to see pictures later :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Norton » 23 Nov 2015, 12:38 pm

You'll be happy with the 452 :thumbsup:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Nov 2015, 2:03 pm

Gwion wrote:The way i read that (which is just me and this is the internet) is that you can buy ammo for categories you are licenced for; unless you are buying PISTOL ammo, in which case you have to provide a registration cert for the given firearm you want to feed.

Is it just me???

That's about it. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by southeast varmiter » 23 Nov 2015, 3:02 pm

the most common hand gun caliber in Aus is 22lr.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by OODAH » 23 Nov 2015, 3:32 pm

I think these next 30 days are going to be so very slow, but all going to plan I will have it for Xmas holidays and I'll be able to shoot till my hearts content! :crazy:
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Nov 2015, 8:29 pm

Nice one mate, I see HPGS had the 452 for $695 with scope, mounts and 555 rnds of win ammo, seemed like a fair price.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusC » 24 Nov 2015, 12:43 pm

Not a bad deal as long as the glass is decent.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles