First hunting rifle, 22WMR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

First hunting rifle, 22WMR

Post by Modena » 15 Jan 2016, 10:14 pm

Hello folks,

I plan to shortly purchase my first rifle, purpose being hunting small pests but more often than hunting it will be sending lead down range for stress relief and practice.

I am keen on 22WMR, and rifle choice is not easy as I need a lefty - well actually maybe it is easy as there are not many choices! I had planned on waiting for a Lithow Crossover in 22WMR lefty, which Lithgow tell me is due first half this year. Yes I know a lot of you will think that is a pricey rimfire for a first purchase (or indeed for any purchase!), the cost of a Lithgow doesn't bother me. I won't stretch the budget to an Annie so don't go there.

However, with the various issues that some users have experienced with their 22LR Lithgow I am now thinking of something cheaper with a view to maybe turning it over in a year or so after there are more Lithgows out there and more feedback/reviews/design updates.

There's quite a variety of leftys available in 22LR but very few in 22WMR.

I would really like a Ruger American 22WMR but they don't make the American Rimfire in lefthand, bugger. (I love that rotary mag).

I am now thinking of a Savage 93, there is only one variant available in left, the 93GL. Apart from mixed bag magazine issues (which appear solvable, or aftermarket mags) all reports seem to be that this is a very nice very accurate and very affordable 22WMR.

The Browning T-bolt seems another option, but nearly double the price of the Savage.

For a start, and for something I may turn over in a year or two, is the Savage 93 enough gun?

PS: I'm thinking of topping it with a Nikon BDC 150, I like the zero-reset turrets and the ballistic reticle and it seems like a fair price.
Modena
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: First hunting rifle, 22WMR

Post by Modena » 16 Jan 2016, 4:08 pm

After reading/watching more on the Browning it looks very nice, love the figure-8 magazine and the straight bolt action looks interesting.
Modena
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 16 Jan 2016, 6:02 pm

I have a T-bolt in 22lr and it's a very nice rifle to shoot. Only issue being the trigger is a bugger to adjust/ has limited adjustablity. It shoots great for hunting but makes squeezing the last out of target groups a real challenge. I'd ideally like to be able to match it to break like my other rifles at about 2lb and no creep.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by OODAH » 16 Jan 2016, 8:20 pm

I just bought my first rifle, i thought to go a 22WMR got talked into a 22LR for the simple fact there cheaper to use plinking and still good for small vermin. And that a 22WMR will do the job for small vermin but so will a .223 with the option's of different loads for more or less bang. (I'm only new to this too but this is what I've been told and come to the conclusion of, hope I'm on the right track)
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jake » 17 Jan 2016, 7:35 am

Had a savage was an awesome gun but wanted more rifle for foxes so bought a 17hmr Marlin and its unreal as long as it's not blowing it's head of itll head shoot rabbits at 150 constantly and if I miss it's usually the peanut behind aiming it , when I was in the shop looking them they had a few leftys looked reall good one with a standard wood stock and one with a boyds thumb hole I think good luck buddy
Jake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 17 Jan 2016, 6:31 pm

OODAH wrote:I just bought my first rifle, i thought to go a 22WMR got talked into a 22LR for the simple fact there cheaper to use plinking and still good for small vermin. And that a 22WMR will do the job for small vermin but so will a .223 with the option's of different loads for more or less bang. (I'm only new to this too but this is what I've been told and come to the conclusion of, hope I'm on the right track)

I have enjoyed high volume shooting with a both rimfires.

Tried 'stepping up' to small centrefires for regular hunting ( read: countless hours / days shooting foxes and rabbits ) and didn't enjoy / couldn't cope, with increased muzzle blast / report.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 18 Jan 2016, 7:28 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 16 Feb 2017, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Tiiger » 18 Jan 2016, 1:06 pm

22 mag is great pest cartridge. That's exactly what it's for.

Which range are you going to be shooting at? At the outdoor range at Little River there in VIC you can shoot whatever you want but at most of the 50m indoors/suburb ranges you can only shoot 22LR, not magnum.

So check what you can shoot at the range you intend to visit before you commit.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wes » 18 Jan 2016, 2:29 pm

Springvale range (probably where he is going?) is 22lr only.

(and pistol)
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Modena » 18 Jan 2016, 4:59 pm

oh wow I did not know that Springvale was 22LR only ! Yes Wes that is where I would be going.

I am also joining a target rifle club (different range) but that is Olympic style target shooting with single shot target rifles, that will be a different firearm.

Thanks all for your info so far, this pretty much locks me into 22LR and Springvale is so close to home (compared to Little River or others), so back to the interwebs I go to compile the list of lefty 22LR :)

Does 22LR ammo at Springvale have to be sub-sonic? What about jacketed HP or FMJ?
Modena
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 18 Jan 2016, 7:44 pm

Since you want something more than a 22LR, power wise, I'd suggest the 223 because of cheaper ammo. Well here in the USA it's pretty cheap. Otherwise you might consider the 22Hornet, more energy that the 22WMR but can be reloaded for about the same cost as the rimfire.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by OODAH » 19 Jan 2016, 7:04 am

You could go the CZ 455 and be able to swap out the barrels for the day, only drama is having to sight them in each time
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Modena » 19 Jan 2016, 10:09 am

CZ455 not available in lefty. Their lefty is still CZ452
Modena
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 19 Jan 2016, 10:14 am

Get the 452 in 22lr. You need it for Springvale, anyway. Work on your accuracy/technique and bugger the 22wrm; or, get the T-bolt lefty in 22wrm for hunting. Seeing yu can't use it at your local range, you'll need both chamberings, anyway.

By the way: 22lr does not come in jacketed form. Waxed lead, often with a thin copper wash.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wes » 19 Jan 2016, 3:16 pm

Modena wrote:oh wow I did not know that Springvale was 22LR only ! Yes Wes that is where I would be going.

I am also joining a target rifle club (different range) but that is Olympic style target shooting with single shot target rifles, that will be a different firearm.

Thanks all for your info so far, this pretty much locks me into 22LR and Springvale is so close to home (compared to Little River or others), so back to the interwebs I go to compile the list of lefty 22LR :)

Does 22LR ammo at Springvale have to be sub-sonic? What about jacketed HP or FMJ?

Yeah cool.

Definitely 22lr only, no magnums, so if you got the 22WMR you could only shoot it at Little River which would be a pain.

22lr doesn't have to be sub-sonic at Springvale. You can shoot (and in fact they sell) sub-sonic, supersonic and stinger/HV ammo there.

Different topic now but some variety of sub-sonic will likely be the most accurate so you'll probably be shooting that anyway.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Modena » 19 Jan 2016, 8:43 pm

Well I had a visit to Springvale and used one of their CZ 452 lefty. The best group of 5 I managed just over 1.5" with the $5 / box Federal game ammo. First time I've fired a rifle in a long time, I feel it after being prone for an hour!

The CZ action seemed nice enough, the stock seemed slippery to me but I'm sure I was about a million things wrong in technique.
Modena
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 20 Jan 2016, 12:52 pm

Wes wrote:22lr doesn't have to be sub-sonic at Springvale. You can shoot (and in fact they sell) sub-sonic, supersonic and stinger/HV ammo there.

And you'll be having a perfectly pleasant time shooting and chatting while everyone's shooting sub-sonics, then there is always one bastard who turns up with a compensator and HV ammo under that tin roof that wrecks it :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Modena » 20 Jan 2016, 7:05 pm

I did notice the sign which says no HV ammo after 8pm or on Sundays.
Modena
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Rakk » 29 Jan 2016, 3:22 pm

Lorgar wrote:And you'll be having a perfectly pleasant time shooting and chatting while everyone's shooting sub-sonics, then there is always one bastard who turns up with a compensator and HV ammo under that tin roof that wrecks it :lol:

Those tacticool kids :huh:
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by alby » 29 Jan 2016, 6:16 pm

Couldn't you shoot 22lr through the magnum at the range and have the best worlds?
alby
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Modena » 30 Jan 2016, 7:03 am

No. 22LR and 22WMR are in fact different diameters.

From wikipedia: A .22 WMR round will not fit into the chamber of a .22 LR firearm, but it is possible, though unsafe, to chamber .22 LR rounds in a .22 WMR firearm, although doing so can result in injury from a leaking undersized case.
Modena
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 30 Jan 2016, 7:40 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 17 Feb 2017, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by sandgroperbill » 30 Jan 2016, 1:40 pm

Modena, don't rule out q nice second hand/used .22lr. You see some nice examples pop up from time to time
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Rocker » 11 Feb 2016, 10:28 am

alby wrote:Couldn't you shoot 22lr through the magnum at the range and have the best worlds?

Sensible answer = no.

Projectile from a 22WMR cartridge is 0.001 larger diameter than one from a .22lr.

It's a minimal difference in this instance but while on the point it's worth knowing that the names of cartridges are often deceiving or flat out incorrect compared to their actually dimensions. Easy to remember labels are user rather than dimensionally accurate ones.

In this instance the more important difference is that the 22LR case length is .613" while the 22WMR case length is 1.005". Firing an incorrect round in a chamber that is too large results in the case problems already mentioned above for rim fire.

You'd blow your face off doing something similar with the energy in a centre fire cartridge.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Rifle realist » 11 Feb 2016, 3:02 pm

Hello Modena.
I bought my first .22WMR a month or so ago,after 30 odd years of owning rifles. It's great no more searching for brass in the dark or grass., enough power for cats & foxes, quiet enough to use on the edge of town where I live. The rifle I have is much more accurate than the magazine stories I have read. It is a handy calibre, most evening walks its the rifle I take now.
Sako quad .22 WMR 3-9X40 Leupold VXI
Anchutz 1430-1434 .22 Hornet 4 X 40 Bushnell
Sako 85 Varmint .260 Rem 4.5-14X50 Leupold VXIII
Sako 85 Hunter .338 Win Mag 3.5-10X40 Leupold VXIII
Marlin 1895 45/70
Assorted .22s & Shotguns
Rifle realist
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Lyam » 16 Feb 2016, 2:31 pm

Rocker wrote:while on the point it's worth knowing that the names of cartridges are often deceiving or flat out incorrect compared to their actually dimensions.

Annoyingly this is true.

Some examples Modena:

220 Swift, .222 Remington and .223 Remington all use .224" diameter projectiles.

.303 British uses has a .300" bore, 0.312" diameter projectile and 0.314" groove diameter.

.308 Winchester is named for its 0.308" groove diameter.

300 Winchester Magnum has the same projectile and groove diameter as the .308 Winchester but the rifling is ignored in it's naming.

30-06 Springfield is named for the being a .30 cal cartridge developed at Springfield Army Base in 1906. Of the 500+ cartridges there are I think you can list the ones that where named after a place (rather than a person or company) on one hand.

Virtually all the names are useless as far as technical accuracy is concerned.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Modena » 06 May 2016, 8:20 pm

I got a T-Bolt, see here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6095
Modena
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Jeff303 » 29 Jun 2016, 11:09 am

Hi guys .
Im new here but heres my 2 cents.
For hunting its the 22mag hands down . Had s hmr as well & it was cool, but those little pills hated the wind & anything bigger than a fox.
The 22mag on the other hand will kill goats & pigs at reasonable ranges ( not recommended i know, but you never know what you'll kick out on a walk). & the lr, for me just didnt have the punch i wanted.
Had a savage 93fv & it was ridiculously accurate provided i did my bit
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles