22lr Target shooting rifle options

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

22lr Target shooting rifle options

Post by HulkFury » 06 Apr 2016, 3:54 pm

Hi, long time reader, first time poster.

While I wait for my pre-printed licence application (2 days late), then the 28 day processing wait, then another 28 day wait for the PTA :crazy: , (plus a few days to convince the missus to let me buy a gun) I am window shopping options for a target rifle.

I've joined a smallbore club at Newcastle, that has a 50m range. I've haven't been involved in guns prior, and 22LR seems a good place to start.

I had thought I narrowed down my choice to a Savage MKII FV (plastic stock/heavy barrel) due to reviews and budget, but when checking out the LGS, the guy behind the counter said I would be "dissappointed" with the Savage, and recommended a CZ 452.

Looking for those who have actually used either of these rifles to comment; I don't have an unlimited budget, nor am I looking at making the Commonwealth team. Just wanting to punch a few holes, and give me something to improve and measure against.

a) Would the Savage be disappointing for target shooting specifically?

b) Is the 452 worth the price difference?

c) Another other thoughts/recommendations for first 22LR

Bonus question, what is a suitable scope range for 50m targets? Will I be able to make out holes with a 3-9?

Thanks
HulkFury
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: 22lr Target shooting rifle options

Post by Wm.Traynor » 06 Apr 2016, 7:56 pm

Talk to your club Captain. He might know if a member has a proper target rifle for sale. AFAIK, there is nowhere on the Savage or CZ for you to attach a handstop or a proper peep sight.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Jake » 06 Apr 2016, 8:48 pm

I had the exact savage your talking about was a really good rifle used it for rabbits and it never let me down would head shoot rabbits all day up to 80 mtrs or so if you asked it to just usually user error if I missed, wish I never sold it lol although I do love me new hmr also a 3-9 scope will be fine but I'd go the 4-12 just abit more magnification if your shooting at smaller targets
Jake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by junjun » 06 Apr 2016, 9:15 pm

I have the Ruger American Compact in OD green. I have had it for a week now. The bolt was a bit stiff at the beginning. After I applied grease and 500 rounds, it is much smoother now. I have the Nikon 3-9 Pro staff. This rifle has so far shoots very very well.

50 Yards with CCI standard velocity. I have tried 7 different ammo, CCI is the best of all.
Attachments
IMG_1399.JPG
IMG_1399.JPG (678.11 KiB) Viewed 8077 times
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 06 Apr 2016, 9:22 pm

i haven't personally shot the savage, they do look intresting but if i could find a decent cz 452 and had the coin id drop it on the cz any day of the week, they are an absoloute pleasure to shoot and will last a lifetime if looked after, the local .22 ssaa club uses them where they cope a pasting from newbies and they stand up to the abuse and 1000's upon 1000's of rounds, wouldn't swap my lithgow for one though..now it works lol
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 07 Apr 2016, 12:17 am

I have the 455 American, I am an American after all, really a nice gun. I would imagine the 452 is as well. By reputation the Savage is a well respected gun, and while I have to say this, I wouldn't put it past some sales person to try and steer a customer to a gun with higher mark up. I know because they have tried to do this to me.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Apr 2016, 3:44 am

G'day HulkFury,
Your LGS is having a lend of you, and probably wants to sell a few more CZs. I have used a 22 Savage recently and feel it would be a good all round rifle. It will never match a dedicated smallbore rifle, but neither will the CZ. A good BSA Martini smallbore rifle with a Parker Hale or Williams or even a Central will outshoot either of them, and if you scout around you might find a nice Anschutz for 6-800. As for a scope, 3-9 is too big for good smallbore, too much weight and too high without cheekpads. A 2 1/2X scope will work fine at 50m, but I would prefer the diopter, Cheers and happy shooting.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by scotty87 » 07 Apr 2016, 7:47 am

If you were looking at a marlin xt 22, which was my first rifle, I would tend to agree with the salesman, great shooter but overall fit and finish leaves alot to be desired. The savage however is nothing like that, it really impressed me for a plastic stocked rifle and is every bit as accurate as a CZ 452.

In my opinion it comes down to personal preference, I personally would prefer the CZ for aesthetic reasons but in my opinion the savage will be a better shooter out of the box with its accutrigger.

CZ452 have a great trigger also but it usually needs a little work to get rid of creep if present and get it down to a decent pull weight.

If you think you would be happy with the savage get it and spend the difference on a bunch of different brand ammo. Try CCI standards first and also SK

As for scope, I think I used to shoot at 7x at 50 yrd so it doesn't need to be anything extraordinary, but as the above poster mentioned it will be easier to see your grouping with a higher power.

With a low power though say a 4x at 50yrd, if you don't see any holes till your third shot, you know it's probably a good group!
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by scotty87 » 07 Apr 2016, 7:59 am

junjun wrote:I have the Ruger American Compact in OD green. I have had it for a week now. The bolt was a bit stiff at the beginning. After I applied grease and 500 rounds, it is much smoother now. I have the Nikon 3-9 Pro staff. This rifle has so far shoots very very well.

50 Yards with CCI standard velocity. I have tried 7 different ammo, CCI is the best of all.

If you haven't tried the SK .22 bulk pack stuff yet give it a burl. Has always gave good results in my marlin that liked the CCI standards also.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 07 Apr 2016, 8:45 am

CZ make a target specific 22LR if that is all you want to shoot. The savage is so far behind CZ I woudn't even compare. A CZ452 varmint would make a good compromise for casual target shooting and hunting.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by HulkFury » 07 Apr 2016, 9:13 am

Thanks everyone for their opinions and recommendations (happy for them to keep coming!).

I plan on shooting bench and trying prone initially, so I would be looking at a bipod, and not too worried about scope/barrel weight.

I am probably looking at a sporter style, in case I want to try moving targets later.

Nice shooting JunJun, I really like the look (especially the green) and magazine of the Ruger American (a different LGS slagged them off), it floats in and out of my wish list, just unsure on it's accuracy compared to others.

Would like to push for the CZ452, but with all the accessories it may be out of my price range.

Being on the Central Coast, I think our LGSs don't get enough turnover to be competitive with the likes of Horsey Park Gun Shop, so I will take a drive down there and check out my options. There safe for $250 looks like a bargain, so that is obviously my first purchase.
HulkFury
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 07 Apr 2016, 11:38 pm

3-9 is not good enough for target shooting at 50 meters, trust me, I bought scopes more than guns (quantity or cost), at least 14-16 power you can aim clearly

for the rifle I reckon the Lithgow crossover is the best one for that kind of budget, or find a second hand Anschutz

check my posts for accuracy of the Lithgow and Anschutz

if you really like savage, TR will be better choice
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gregg » 08 Apr 2016, 1:37 pm

HulkFury wrote:(plus a few days to convince the missus to let me buy a gun)

Once it's bought and the safe is in she can't do anything about it anyway ;)

:lol:
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Newdave » 08 Apr 2016, 4:08 pm

Depends on the discipline you want to shoot . I just have a 1416 Annie . It is ideal for sporter class from the bench and the field . Shooting sporter class you are not allowed more then a 6 times power magnification scope .

Mine wears just a VX1 3 / 9 which in a competition setting can be tapped at 6 power but you still have that bit more if you wanted it in other use .

When hunting I would rarely use more then 6 power anyway . Go shoot with a club rifle and speak to the club members im sure they would be willing to help .

I wouldn't count out a Air rifle either . Shoot for hours for basicly nothing plus they are a heap of fun .
Newdave
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AnotherMisfire » 08 Apr 2016, 6:45 pm

Agree with the above comments - it really depends on what you want to shoot.

I have a CZ 452 American and doubt I could have gotten anything around the quality for the same price. I have a 3-9x40 on it and it's definitely not up to the grade of the gun.

If you have ok eyesight, you will be likely be able to see the holes on a 9x at 50 yards - just. You won't be able to see them at 100yds.

I'm not a good shot - to be honest I couldn't outshoot a Marlin. But for the extra money I will never have the skill to outshoot the CZ.

If you're in a position now where all you can afford is the cheaper, and might have the money to trade up in a year or two... Then go for the cheaper rifle.

If you want to buy a rifle that you'll never need to upgrade from - go for the CZ.

If you're planning on bunny busting at short range or just shooting some SSAA friendly field rifle then a 3-9 would suffice. If you want to get more serious or shoot metallic silhouette, then you will probably want a 6-18 (or a 4-12 at a minimum).
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Apr 2016, 8:40 pm

I love my 452. I've had it for a long time, it has never let me down and still shoots exactly the same size group after probably 3000 rounds.
Those forged steel barrels really last.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 08 Apr 2016, 11:35 pm

I went with the lithgow crossover 22lr couldnt be happier with it to be honest. Have a diamondback 4-12x40 scope on it i jave a marlin in 17hmr just as accurate however theres a few little things i had to tinker with to get the marlin to the point where i was happy with it. Once again the marlin aint bad just needs a few little tweaks to make it alot better
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sender » 19 Apr 2016, 1:23 pm

What did you have to do to your Marlin?
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by WayneO » 20 Apr 2016, 11:52 pm

plenty of really good used target .22 rifles around. But if its new you want, then i would go C.Z.
As for glass, i have and always will maintain, save on the rifle and spend on the glass. However, on a .22 you dont have to go high end, just decent quality with enough magnification. I use the HAWK 6-24 x 50 with illuminated retical. Your shooting will always improve if you can see the target as clear as day. With the heavy barrel of the C.Z and a good scope, you can then see the holes as they are made in the target.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles