CZ527 .17 hornet Issues.....solved

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: CZ527 .17 hornet Issues

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Jul 2016, 12:53 am

Oldbloke is spot on about the ring . Nothing to worry about so long as it is not excessive. That is the point where you get case-head separations when things go wrong. Just shows that your chamber is a bit bigger than the cases were sized. Don't go to town with full length resizing to get rid of it though. That will lead to premature case failure at that point.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 06 Jul 2016, 6:38 am

+1 for the above.
A couple of my previous Hornets did the same. No biggy. Normal. I did not FL size either. Just neck. Again as mentioned just keep an eye on case seperation.
Enjoy the ride.
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by John Ryan » 06 Jul 2016, 8:20 am

Bills Shed wrote:+1 for the above.
A couple of my previous Hornets did the same. No biggy. Normal. I did not FL size either. Just neck. Again as mentioned just keep an eye on case seperation.
Enjoy the ride.
Bill

I only have the full length size dies unfortunately.
After sorting through the spent cases exactly 25 don't have the ring which I'm assuming is the first box of ammo I put through the rifle ( 15.5gr NTX )

Initial problems of feeding have disappeared with smoothing out the feed lips of the magazine.
CZ 452 varmint.22
CZ 527 varmint .223
CZ 527 varmint .17 Hornet
Lithgow LA102 .243
John Ryan
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Jul 2016, 9:22 am

You can re-size with the full length dies, just back the die up until it only resizes maybe 50% of the neck. Then it won't be resizing the body near the end of the web of the case. You only need to re-size enough to get a grip on the bullet and have cases that feed into the chamber.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 06 Jul 2016, 10:10 am

That looks like the perfect long-range wallaby medicine now you've gotten it sighted in.

You going to to use it on wallabies or just bunnies?
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by John Ryan » 06 Jul 2016, 1:10 pm

[quote="Heckler303"]That looks like the perfect long-range wallaby medicine now you've gotten it sighted in.

You going to to use it on wallabies or just bunnies?[/quote

I remember growing up in Tassie we would take wallably with a .22 no problem,with good placement the .17 should have a bit more reach.

When the opportunity arises to go hunting on some property here I think I'll be well equipped :D
CZ 452 varmint.22
CZ 527 varmint .223
Lithgow LA102 .243
John Ryan
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Heckler303 » 06 Jul 2016, 5:33 pm

John Ryan wrote:
I remember growing up in Tassie we would take wallably with a .22 no problem,with good placement the .17 should have a bit more reach.

When the opportunity arises to go hunting on some property here I think I'll be well equipped :D

Yeah, I use Eley subsonics on them all the time, they just pop right over with headshots, very quiet and very effective out to 50m.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Re: CZ527 .17 hornet Issues.....solved

Post by John Ryan » 31 Jul 2016, 6:11 pm

So today I had a case head separation at the range

Three boxes of Hornady Superformance 20gn
two boxes of the same batch number have brass colored primers and one box had silver colored primers with a different batch number.

My mate has a savage chambered for the 17 Hornet so we organized a little competition between us :D

Every round with the brass colored primers had the ring around the case head after firing as I have posted above however halfway through a box and bang...face full of hot gas!!

Same rounds fired in the Savage exactly same result visible ring around the head, compared to rounds with silver color primer no visible deformity either after being fired in both rifles.

The batch number of the affected rounds is 3151646
I took my spent cartridges and the remaining rounds left back to my LGS I purchased them from they are going to notify the distributer but didn't seem at all concerned .
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (853.08 KiB) Viewed 8291 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 8291 times
CZ 452 varmint.22
CZ 527 varmint .223
Lithgow LA102 .243
John Ryan
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 13 Dec 2016, 9:06 pm

I have a CZ527 in 7.62*39.....
The gun shoots really great....NOW!!!!
HOWEVER, it has been back to the gun Shop 3 times and then sent back to Winchester.
Firstly, the magazine just fell out, I was cleaning it after my first outing and it just fell out and wouldn't go back in.
After my gun Shop fixed that issue, an even bigger one arose. It wouldn't feed any rounds from the magazine. So off to Winchester it went.
The gunsmiths at Winchester must have done something amazing to this gun. The gun Shop also agreed with me that the bolt was very different and the rounds fed wonderfully after Winchester looked at it. They also rebedded the rifle and( from the scratches on the scope mountings) fitted a scope and tested it.
It now shoots great, when I first got it, I was spraying the target at 50 metres. I thought it was the cheap Russian ammo, however, Winchester must have done something to it cause it shoots much better now, even with Russian cheapo ammo.
The range officer at Ipswich told me a similar story about a cz527 he had. The magazine never worked and he ended using it as a single shot before he "got rid of it".
In short, I would never buy another one of these guns again. QC should not have let a gun like this pass. I paid $1400 AUD for this gun, I shouldn't have had to take it back to the shop after paying this much. I am so glad I bought it Brand New under warranty, who knows how much the gunsmithing bill to fix this gun would have cost.
My wife was looking for a 9mm pistol and I suggested a cz75 cause I had seen so many great reviews about them.....she just gave me a filthy look and reminded me of all the troubles I have had with cz already. If these guns were half the price, I could live with the odd recall and QC problems. BUT, the price of these guns is way too much for what you get. Talk to your local gun Shop and get something cheaper and more reliable, in my opinion you can.
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by John Ryan » 14 Dec 2016, 10:09 am

Glad you got it sorted mate,

I just purchased another 527 varmint in .223
It was an ex demo that was literally half price so i couldn't resist.

Shot her last weekend and no problems.
Magazine feeds smoothly all five shots, after barrel break in the groups tightened up considerably and everything smoothed up a bit more.

Considering the recoil is more than the 17 Hornet that i'm used to shooting a few flyers were definitely my fault and i found i need a better rear bag.
CZ 452 varmint.22
CZ 527 varmint .223
Lithgow LA102 .243
John Ryan
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nigel » 27 Dec 2017, 2:55 pm

John Ryan wrote:
Unfortunately I can only shoot at SSAA for time being so single shot is required but no issue as have got a single shot follower on its way, magazine will be relegated to hunting when opportunity arises.

If possible, can you share the details of your single shot follower. What did you get and where did get it from?

I have just bought a CZ 527 in 22 Hornet and, for various reasons, would like to get a single shot follower. I am aware of the Calhoon and Bob Sled models available from the US but am trying to find something available locally before going down that path. Extensive googling has not turned up much.
Nigel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles