Buying a .22

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Buying a .22

Post by juststarting » 02 Jul 2016, 1:34 pm

So I am slowly caving to you jerks about this .22 fad, something about being un-Australian, nt to have one in the house...

Aaaaanyway, I've definitely decide on lever action with open sights. I am thinking Browning BL22 G1. Looked at it in a shop, shot it at the range, just seems like a nice little shooter. And wifey insisted that I need a b'day preset, so you know...

Any yes/no/alternatives, why/why not, etc?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Buying a .22

Post by newsteadvic » 02 Jul 2016, 1:40 pm

I would try and have a feel of the marlin 39A if you could. Horses for courses however I find the curved pistol grip of the Marlin so much more comfortable to hold. The takedown feature is nice and they are easy to put an aperture sight on (although the Browning prob is as well).

I recently shot a friends Henry (albeit in 22WMR, not 22LR) and was really impressed. Very smooth (smoother than my Marlin 39M), lovely trigger. Only downside is weight - they are very heavy.
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 02 Jul 2016, 1:48 pm

Newsteadvic - from everything I've read, the Marlin 39A model is like perfect .22... However, not as easy to find and price point is not something I want to pay, compared to Browning. Though that was something I did consider.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 02 Jul 2016, 1:56 pm

I would comment on this yet don't want to be called a Fudd, if you want a lever get one.

Makes sure it's .22lr
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 02 Jul 2016, 2:04 pm

They don't make 39a's anymore so good luck finding one. As an alternative I can suggest a Henry Frontier. Also known as a H001T. It has a heavy hexagonal barrel, a little bit of gold (coloured) inlay and a brass front bead sight. Mine has functioned flawlessly for near enough to 5000 rounds. It has had zero malfunctions in that time, fed every round, ejected every case. But more expensive than the standard Henry but worth it. Cycles like butter and has a nice crisp trigger.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (895.65 KiB) Viewed 7058 times
Henry Frontier

And whichever lever action you get, make sure you get yourself a 15 round Spee-D-Loader
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (13.4 KiB) Viewed 7056 times
Spee-D-Loader
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 02 Jul 2016, 6:23 pm

My old Winchester 250 leaver is my fave bunny gun
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 02 Jul 2016, 6:28 pm

I would get that BL-22 if I were you. Played with one at the LGS and had a good feel of it, very nice rifle and very nice finish. It was brand new, so it had that feeling of 'New lever' where it hasn't been broken in yet. Even then it was smooth to operate. The 1100$ price tag was the only put-off.

Or you know, you could always go the cheap route and buy a Puma or a Brno. My puma has yet to fail me in the field, just the cheap nasty chinese scope.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 02 Jul 2016, 7:29 pm

Lever guns are quirkier than bolt actions. Only the Marlin 39A is easy to clean but having said that I use a vice to clean mine anyway. After buying mine, I joined their forum only to be shocked by the horror stories from Unhappy owners :cry:
Never heard anything bad about Browning but they are harder to clean.
BTW, my 39A has never had anything wrong with it.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by alan j » 02 Jul 2016, 7:43 pm

cz 452 the way to go. best .22 ive owned
alan j
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 02 Jul 2016, 7:47 pm

Nothing to do with un-Australian....just odd to not have a rimfire or 3.
It IS however un-Aussie to not have at least one smelly,and a couple of double barrel shotties....in 12g.... thats all they come in..... ;)

I looked as a Marlin 39 AS some years ago....I think its called 'Golden'... but the dealer wanted 6 hungie for so I told him to keep it.... :lol: :roll: ... theyre still made, not sure if theyre imported...

The Browning lever is a nice rimfire....the old pumps are also very nifty, occasionally a very good to excellent example comes onto the market...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by juststarting » 02 Jul 2016, 7:59 pm

Thanks you, all. I just want something for random plinking fun. Lever is definitely my choice here. I've done some reading, some even without pictures! About Marlin and Browning. Most seem to consider Marlin the best lever action ever made. Seems like Browning is PITA to take down. Both seem to be excellent in the reliability department, both have this classic look that I like (did not like hammerless Winchester lever action, purely on looks). Based on the spec, BL is shorter, lighter and has short lever throw. For a fun plinking gun to take along as a complimentary - I am bored rifle, I think that's what I am going with.

Stay tuned, maybe pics this week :) May drop by Springvale range for few shots too, if I end up picking one up.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jul 2016, 9:52 pm

I might be wrong here. But almost all levers are a PITA to dismantle and clean. On the postive side 22lr anly needs to be cleaned about every 2 or 3 thousand rounds.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 02 Jul 2016, 10:05 pm

Bought my son a Henry lever cause he's a lefty and I didn't want to spend money on a LH bolt action. Great little rifle, accurate and smooth as silk action.

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/lever-action-22-rifle/
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by knowsnothin » 02 Jul 2016, 10:20 pm

another vote for cz 452. give a few more guns a try before you buy. or if you really want to show you hand get a brno model 1 (in good condition). cool.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Heckler303 » 03 Jul 2016, 9:22 am

knowsnothin wrote:another vote for cz 452. give a few more guns a try before you buy. or if you really want to show you hand get a brno model 1 (in good condition). cool.

If I ever got bored of my Norinco, I would probably get a CZ, because they're both one of the same. Brno's are a little hard to come by now and their Model 1 and 2 cost way too much tbh.

Then there is the Ruger American Rimfire and the Lithgow LA-101. If I had that kind of money to burn, I'd probably be leaning to the Lithgow. Australian made, well built, rugged, accurate, smooth, and sexy.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Gamerancher » 03 Jul 2016, 11:20 am

Marlin 39a's are all "take-down" models. They have a large screw that goes through the middle of the action from the rhs. Undo that, a bit of a twist and you have the action/buttstock in one hand and the barrel/mag/fore-end in the other. They have been around for over a hundred years. ( from model 39 anyway ) They all have heavy "target" barrels and are renowned for their accuracy. Predominantly 24" barrel with pistol grip but there are "mountie" models with shorter barrels and straight stocks. (rarer)
Later models have a "rebound" hammer and can have misfire troubles. They also have a habit of problems with extraction. These are easily remedied by a competent gunsmith who knows exactly how to fix them, however, plenty have been ruined by "expert" amateurs. Pre-1980's are the better ones to get, more reliable and tend to give no trouble. They are sought after by competition shooters, they are the most popular .22 for Lever-action Silhouette, hence the prices asked.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Jul 2016, 11:32 am

Heckler303 wrote:If I ever got bored of my Norinco, I would probably get a CZ, because they're both one of the same. Brno's are a little hard to come by now and their Model 1 and 2 cost way too much tbh.

You can still find them at a good price if you hunt around.
I recon I paid only a little less than this almosr 20 years ago for mine.

Screenshot_2016-07-03-10-55-18.png
Screenshot_2016-07-03-10-55-18.png (109.3 KiB) Viewed 7616 times

http://www.fisherfirearms.com.au/catego ... ecial-22lr
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 03 Jul 2016, 11:35 am

Lever action!
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 03 Jul 2016, 12:11 pm

I have a Marlin 39A bought 1999/2000 damn fine rifle very accurate, great trigger. I put a Lyman receiver sight on it. Dad has a Browning BL-22, it is also a fine gun, he bought it when they first came out that was what the 1970s? So I've actually fire more rounds through the Browning than the Marlin.

Dad scoped his Browning so it is hard to say which gun is more accurate but both will take the squirrel, rabbit or rouge tin can. The Marlin is bigger, heavier, and holds more shots. The Browning's shorter dimensions and lighter weight makes it a faster gun to handle and the rack and pinion lever with its trigger staying with the lever makes it the next fastest thing to an auto loader you can get. I have a Browning BPR-22 and I can empty the BL-22 faster. That flick of the wrist is super quick.

You'd be happy with either, and the Marlin is still in production.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Supaduke » 03 Jul 2016, 1:30 pm

I know they stopped making 39a's for a while, apparently they were retooling the factory after some quality issues. Not sure if production has resumed.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 03 Jul 2016, 1:44 pm

There are 39A's with safety and no safety. New ones - safety. Old ones - no safety.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 03 Jul 2016, 2:30 pm

Supaduke wrote:I know they stopped making 39a's for a while, apparently they were retooling the factory after some quality issues. Not sure if production has resumed.

Marlin was effectively closed down about 10yrs ago....then production moved and recommenced by Remington at Remington sheltered workshops in different U.S. States... at that time the new / old Marlin thing cropped up.

I was in the market for a 45-70 lever at one time and I read about 1895s with pic rails that did not fit or where otherwise un-aligned with the barrel, I thought, OK, the exception......so me goes to the friendly local dealer and picks one up for a fondle.... who would have guessed - an unaligned pic rail, to add to the displeasure the dealer denied they had a good go at straightening the job out (obviously from the well screwed with screws on an otherwise new rifle)....

So, having said that - I'd jump at a very good - to unused 10+ year old example.... probably not a new one.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 04 Jul 2016, 9:38 am

Supaduke wrote:I know they stopped making 39a's for a while, apparently they were retooling the factory after some quality issues. Not sure if production has resumed.

When Remington acquired Marlin the ended up closing the old plant and moving production to a new plant with new employees as well as machinery. Yes they did have quality control problems for awhile and Remington addressed that. The Model 39A is back in full production and the guns I've seen at LGS are fine looking examples.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Supaduke » 04 Jul 2016, 10:31 am

39a's seem to be like unicorns in Australia. Never seen one on a shelf, and any on the used guns websites sell very quickly. If you do try to buy one online don't hang about.

Winchester 9422's are in a similar vein. Out of production, and used ones sell for stupid money very quickly.

Another , much more widely available option is a Norinco JW-21, a Winnie clone. All steel and very nice for the price. They are a little rough to begin with but once run in are a nice gun. And pretty cheap at around $500-$600
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2016, 10:38 am

juststarting wrote:Lever action!

Yep, just a lot smaller and on the side. :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Jul 2016, 10:50 am

New 39a's are available at your LGS @ nearly $1300. "Lawyer" models with cross-bolt safety and rebound hammer. While they may still be a good rifle, they 'aint as good as the older ones. Keep an eye out on the used market, anything under $900, grab it! An alternative would be the Miroku/Win9422 clone, can be had fairly cheap second hand and they are O.K especially if you are just after a "fun" gun.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 05 Jul 2016, 7:58 am

Finally decide to by a 22 because it's "unAustralian" not to have one; then you buy an American lever gun???

You're one strange cat.

It would be more Australian to have a bolt or pump action 22lr; mostly a bolt, though. I would put a bet that for every one 22 rifle of another action type in Australia there would be 10 bolt actions.

I'll sell you my Sportco, then you can really be getting a quintessential Aussie 22!!!

Hang on, no I won't. I'm keeping it. :P
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 05 Jul 2016, 9:29 am

Nothing as Aussie as the current Aussie 22... assembled from imported parts by a 457 visa workforce (*)

Be an Aussie and buy a rimfire made by a pioneering Australian.... Arthur Savage (Savage arms....) :thumbsup:

(* possible spurious rumors, latter part anyway)
Last edited by <<Genesis93>> on 05 Jul 2016, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Jul 2016, 9:44 am

Hands up who hasn't got, shot or at least once owned a Lithgow "Slazengers" single shot or repeater? If you're talking iconic Aussie .22's, I reckon they'd be up there wouldn't they?
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 05 Jul 2016, 9:59 am

There are quite a few models and brands of classic old Aussie 22lr rifles.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles