Henry .22 Lever Action , Revamped!!

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Henry .22 Lever Action , Revamped!!

Post by Supaduke » 24 Jul 2016, 11:39 pm

So as some of you know, I have a Henry Frontier .22 Lever Action. It has an octagon barrel and is just beautiful. It's only issue, for me anyway, is it has a painted receiver. It's painted well, and looks fine but it does have a slight orange peel to it.
image.jpeg
Henry Frontier
image.jpeg (895.65 KiB) Viewed 4719 times

image.jpeg
Painted receiver
image.jpeg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 4719 times

image.jpeg
Black barrel band
image.jpeg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 4719 times

I have been known to cruise other forums, including ones dedicated to rimfires and Henrys. On those forums, people from around the world have found one solution is to strip the receiver. Initially this struck me as a bit radical, the thought of stripping the finish off an unblemished rifle was frankly horrifying.

Well a little while ago I put the tiniest of scratches on the receiver. It was only about 1mm long but it shat me right off. Every time I used the rifle I would know it was there. :evil:

So I had some spare time this weekend and decided what the hell, I'm gunna do it. So I got some paint stripper and 0000 steel wool and went to work.
image.jpeg
Stripping the Receiver
image.jpeg (962.11 KiB) Viewed 4717 times

Removing the receiver cover and barrel band was pretty easy. I filled up a small plastic tray with paint stripper and sat the receiver in there. I have to admit I took a deep breath before immersing it as it was the point of no return.

I slowly and methodically worked away at the paint and it took a fair bit of effort to remove. The top coat of black removes fairly easily but there was a grey primer that took a bit more work. I also used a small bronze brush to work away at some of the tinier recesses. I also removed the bluing from the various screws.

Very happy with how it turned out. I will probably take to it again with some steel wool and knock a bit of the shine off it to give it a brushed metal look. The brighter receiver also bought out the wood grain a bit. Overall , glad I did it, looks good in my opinion.
image.jpeg
Revamped Frontier
image.jpeg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 4717 times

image.jpeg
Revamped Frontier 2
image.jpeg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 4717 times

image.jpeg
Close up
image.jpeg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 4717 times
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Re: Henry .22 Lever Action , Revamped!!

Post by AusTac » 25 Jul 2016, 6:50 am

Looks good, what colour are you going to paint it when the metal gets beaten up? :p
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Supaduke » 25 Jul 2016, 6:54 am

It's called 'patina' .....cough.
I am thinking though I will give it a polish then clear coat it to help protect it a little bit.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 25 Jul 2016, 12:55 pm

cool might do the say to my henry 22 !
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 25 Jul 2016, 11:46 pm

So I thought I would try it first really shiny and see how I like it. Whipped out some autosol and them some purple polish and shined it right up. Spent an hour or so in front of the tv polishing the receiver (sounds like inuendo). It came up pretty shiny. I will live with it for a little while and see how it travels.
image.jpeg
Shined up
image.jpeg (697.51 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 26 Jul 2016, 7:22 am

Rabbits will have to wear sunnies! 8-)
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 26 Jul 2016, 8:02 am

I'm the first to admit it's a bit "look at me". Certainly a bit more blingy than my usual firearms. I will see how I like it in sunlight. If it proves to be a bit much I will take the sheen off and give it a brushed look. I have seen guys put a bit of cold blue on it too, which gives it a colour cased hardened look, may try that as well.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 26 Jul 2016, 10:22 am

Like octagonal barrels :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 26 Jul 2016, 9:52 pm

Quick update, while the initial polish came up nice and shiny, there were a few light scratches from when I stripped it. Out comes the Dremel, a small buff wheel and some polishing compound. Buffed out the scratches and was careful to polish in one direction only.
End result I'm pretty pleased with.
image.jpeg
Polished
image.jpeg (596.97 KiB) Viewed 4606 times

image.jpeg
Polished
image.jpeg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 4606 times

image.jpeg
Polished
image.jpeg (885.13 KiB) Viewed 4606 times
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 26 Jul 2016, 11:15 pm

Nice job looks better IMO
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jul 2016, 1:09 am

Its of little use now. Completely ruined. The bad guys will see the sun flash off the rifles receiver while you lie in wait among the boulders high up in the canyon. They will be onto you straight away and escape your ambush. Or worse the baddies will turn the ambush arround and capture or kill you. You will notice my lever action has a standard finish, and for good reason. Listen to an old cowboy with experience, or better still send John Wayne a telegram and ask his opinion. Last I heard he was the sherriff in Silver City.

Suggest you rub it in some mud to fix the problem.

:thumbsup: PS looks great.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 27 Jul 2016, 6:55 am

As suggested I sent John Wayne a telegram, firstly he said "I'm dead, how the hell did you get this to me?", then he suggested I be careful not to get my shiny gun caught in my dress.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jul 2016, 2:23 pm

Supeduke,

Its great idea wearing a dress. That way nobody sees the odd looking underwear over your tights.

Overall a good result. :lol:

I'm off to buy a cape now. :crazy:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles