.177 vs .22 Air Rifle recommendations

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: .177 vs .22 Air Rifle recommendations

Post by sakoBC » 04 Aug 2016, 1:18 pm

Gwion wrote:Always best to blame equipment over technique! :lol:

or the heathaze, wind, humidity. I'm sure the Coriolis effect has caused me to drop a few points during a 100m match :D
sakoBC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Grylls » 04 Aug 2016, 2:36 pm

Haha you're making it hard now Sako. I just put a deposit down on a Walther Centuary GT 177. I'll have a look at the JW15 and Lithgow LA101 when I pick it up in a month or so when the PTA comes though.
Grylls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by sakoBC » 04 Aug 2016, 4:33 pm

Grylls wrote:Haha you're making it hard now Sako. I just put a deposit down on a Walther Centuary GT 177. I'll have a look at the JW15 and Lithgow LA101 when I pick it up in a month or so when the PTA comes though.

Always tough for us mere mortals on a budget. The Walther looks like a nice piece of kit. The Panther + JW15 will get you a 177 and 22lr at the same time on budget, but the Walther and Lithgow will be better in terms of quality. :drinks:
sakoBC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Squiddy » 04 Aug 2016, 4:50 pm

Can't beat German build quality and engineering. Once you crack $600 in an air rifle you have to really spend over $1000. And then.... is it really worth it?
The Century GT will last a lifetime and do everything well.
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 04 Aug 2016, 4:58 pm

Fark ....

Air rifles have come .... 'Such a long way'

I've owned literally dozens and my very best / most accurate and powerful, was a Polish made Luczinek ( sp. ) brand .... bought by dad for my 14th birthday from Kmart.
I seem to recall it cost about $40.
I could head shoot sparrows at about 30 metres, with ease.
With some ( Blacksmith ) tempering of mainspring ... It would penetrate heavy gauge corrugated iron.

Aahh .... the good 'ole days.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Grylls » 04 Aug 2016, 5:13 pm

I'm happy with the purchase and am keen to try it out. Hopefully my PTA doesn't take too long.

I have two mates with the JW15 and one that wants to buy the Lithgow LA101 when I pick up the Walther. I might have a shoot of both before I decide on a 22LR. It's not something that I'm in a huge hurry to get though. I can see the air rifle getting more use than anything else I'll probably end up buying so I'm happy enough to spend a bit more on one.
Grylls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wade06 » 04 Aug 2016, 5:57 pm

Grylls,
I picked up a box each of 22LR CCI quiet ($8) and CCI Quiet HP ($14) today. I will let you know how they go once my Lithgow arrives :-).
From all reports they are as quiet as a silenced 22, easily shoot 1 inch groups out to 30-35m and have 8x the energy of a .177 air rifle.
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 04 Aug 2016, 7:41 pm

Once you have mastered the "artillery hold " and are shooting reasonably well you will need to find the pellet that your rifle prefers. Don't waste your or time with cheap pellets, look up Potters Target Firearms, sorry not sure how to link from tablet, order some JSB Exacts in both weights or try H&N pellets from ACME Firearms, H&N also come in a variety of head sizes, both Potters and Klaus at ACME are excellent to deal with and orders usually arrive in 4 days :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 04 Aug 2016, 7:48 pm

wade06 wrote:Grylls,
I picked up a box each of 22LR CCI quiet ($8) and CCI Quiet HP ($14) today. I will let you know how they go once my Lithgow arrives :-).
From all reports they are as quiet as a silenced 22, easily shoot 1 inch groups out to 30-35m and have 8x the energy of a .177 air rifle.

Have headshot rabbits out to this distance with a .177 air rifle that easily stacks pellets at 50m, you can have your 22lr shooting 1 inch groups :D
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grylls » 04 Aug 2016, 8:54 pm

Cheers for that info Strikey. I'll make sure I order a few different ones and find out what works well with the gun. I really wish I didn't have to wait haha!

I sent you a PM Squiddy but it's sitting in my outbox and not my sent items. I don't know if it's because I haven't made enough posts to be able to send PM's?

I was going to mention that I had notice in most of the reviews they hadn't used the scope mounts that come standard. Most have opted for a one piece mount to reduce the disruption from the recoil messing with the scope? I guess I'll just have to see if this becomes a problem I notice.
Grylls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 04 Aug 2016, 9:04 pm

The waiting is a PITA, lol, One piece scope mounts are just about a necessity on spring powered air rifles, Sportsmatch Mounts are highly recommended q :thumbsup: ^
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grylls » 04 Aug 2016, 9:10 pm

Should I be getting the one piece while at the gun shop so they can fit it all up and sight it in? I did notice the Sports Match mounts were a favourite in one of the reviews. ACME stock them for just under $130.

http://www.acme-firearms.com.au/SportsM ... rings.html
Grylls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 04 Aug 2016, 11:07 pm

Whatever mount you get, just make sure it's an air rifle specific mount with a recoil lug.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Aug 2016, 11:43 pm

Weirauch HW 77 or 97 get my vote.
Very high quality.

My .22 HW97k was an absolute tack driver.

I bought .22 ammo in bulk. 10 tins at a time once I worked out what it liked to shoot.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by NuZo » 05 Aug 2016, 8:05 am

To the guys saying .22 is not as accurate as .177, that's a load of crap.

Anyways, I have a Stoeger x10 in 177. It's a good gun but the trigger is horrible.

177 or 22, both have their pros and cons. If i was hunting more with the airgun I probably would have got a 22. Either way you'll love it!

Be aware that when buying new the guns will have a dieseling period where the oil in the air chamber will ignite. This will cause a loud crack when firing. This goes away after 300-500 shots. you speeds will drop back down into its normal range and that's when you're gun will be "run in".

Cheers,

Nuzo
Subscribe to Australian Shooting Channel on Youtube! - https://www.youtube.com/c/AustralianShootingChannel
Like Australian Shooting Channel on Facebook! - https://www.facebook.com/AustralianShootingChannel
NuZo
Private
Private

-

Post by Grylls » 05 Aug 2016, 11:15 am

I'm terrible at over thinking things hence starting a post of a forum to choose a air rifle haha. I just feel like when you're new to something it's better to ask around on a forum where everyone isn't trying to sell you something.
Grylls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles