Id old german .22

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Id old german .22

Post by LR09WA » 19 Aug 2016, 3:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

Could anyone shed some light on a old single shot .22 rifle we have had in the family forever, both forefathers have since passed away, so no info has ever been known on this rifle, in fact the two gunsmiths its been too have said it was a very early Lithgow 1.

After doing some research and contacting the Lithgow small arms museum, they confirmed that it was certainly not a Lithgow, but most likely german made, with the crown n (nitro) proof mark, dating between1912-1939

The only markings and info on the rifle are
- 248335 (serial number)
- 54m/w with a crown over a N
- and the letter R stamped on the bolt and under the barrel
- the stock is one piece
- single shot bolt action
- rear sight is dovetailed with rivets
- barrel is fixed to the stock via 1 single bolt
- looks almost identical to a Lithgow 1a

I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction! I can email pics if anyone is interested ? would be very interested to find out the maker, date and history of this rifle, I might then be able to work out how it came into the family.

Best Regards
Mick
LR09WA
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Id old german .22

Post by Gamerancher » 24 Aug 2016, 9:16 am

I have a near identical one . Mine is an early Anchutz , JGA stamped across the bridge of the receiver and Germany stamped on the barrel. We used to shoot a fun silhouette match at Tumut for old single shot .22's and it was an eye opener just how many of the rifles were just like this one. Some were marked with makers and some not. Have you got a photo of the extractor?
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by LR09WA » 24 Aug 2016, 11:15 am

Thanks for the info!

I have been in contact with a few gentlemen from German hunting guns site, they are somewhat perplexed about this rifle and who actually made it.

They believe it was made pre 1920's buy Rempt for Luna which was brought out by JGA, Which JGA then copied and produced this same rifle until the 60's. And tho a large number of these where produced, not many have survived as they where such a cheap gun and essentially a no name gun.

So this little gun which I thought was a $70 rifle has now turned out to be quite collectable and is worth a professional restoration.
LR09WA
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Aug 2016, 12:16 pm

bentaz wrote:The N under a crown is german, I'll look up the other marks for you when i get home ( got a good book on proof marks).

The N is pretty much always Nitro (proof)...especially in combination with a pictogram/symbol

The N with distinctive Crown topped with crucifix; "since 1950 - E. German, Suhl - nitro powder proof"

The measurement is usually chamber or cartridge length or bore... I suspect this one might be 5.4mm (m/m) corresponding to the rimfire bore ??
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Aug 2016, 3:40 pm

Beechwood stock on it by the looks, same as my Brno Mod 2.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by northdude » 24 Aug 2016, 6:17 pm

if you pop that info and pics on the nzrimfire forum someone may be able to id it for you
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by LR09WA » 24 Aug 2016, 6:51 pm

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a Modell Luna .22? Pre JGA .22

Apparently when this rifle was built for Anschutz they were in Mehlis, Zella Sankt Blasii- Mehlis(Z-M) & not Suhl.
LR09WA
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Aug 2016, 7:46 pm

What's it worth any idea?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by LR09WA » 24 Aug 2016, 9:00 pm

bigfellascott wrote:What's it worth any idea?
I wish I knew! It's a much loved family heirloom so it was never going to be sold.. But seeing these are possibly a bit rare, it would be worth whatever someone is willing to pay, and there might be no previous sale history making a price hard to obtain!! Happy for anyone to throw around a few figures!!
LR09WA
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by snag » 24 Aug 2016, 10:45 pm

Mate, I would put money on that being a BSW Suhl, made in Germany pre-1938. The manufacturers were originally called "Simson and Sons" and were a Jewish enterprise renamed "berlin suhler waffen und fahrzeugwerke gmbh" during the Nazi regime. They were a notable firearms manufacturer before WW2 , after the war the factory was dismantled and moved to Russia. It's probably not worth much in dollar terms, but it has a shipload of history about it. Google it up and see what you reckon.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 25 Aug 2016, 7:27 am

Snag is right on the money.....BSW Suhl for sure, recently saw one at a Sydney gun show, $120 on the tag...if you do a bit of research you will find they also did a 22 hornet twin brother, but with a 223 dia bore, ....real early stuff. The company also did shotguns I believe.

It's a keeper for its family history,,,,I wouldn't do a referb on it, just admire its history....

Good luck.

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by LR09WA » 25 Aug 2016, 10:30 am

I've had confirmation back from the German hunting gun historians that this rifle was made by Gebrüder Rempt (his mark is the script R) these where sold as a Modell Luna .22 which later became JGA .22 for anschutz, so you could call it a anschutz of sorts! Rempt must of subcontracted to Luna, possibly before being well know in his own right and Luna may have been bought out by JGA, but the jury is still out on this one.

Thanks for all your help!

On a side question, can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in Western Australia?
LR09WA
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Spanky » 27 Jan 2023, 11:56 am

Hi Guys,
great information here.
I also have one of these .22s however my stamps are a B with a crown, beneath that is an U with a crown, and beside the B is a G with a crown.
Any information would be greatly appreciated as it was my fathers and his fathers before him.
It has Maine stamped on the top of the barrel also.

Thankyou in advance.
Spanky
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigman » 27 Apr 2023, 11:58 pm

Evening guys,
Yes thanks for your help. I also have one which was owned by forefathers!
During reregistration SA police determined from photos "they have determined the model as Luna for the Rempt Gebruder Bolt Action Single Barrel Rifle with serial number 2274.. " They do not have a make code for Rempt Gebruder and will be kept as an unpublished make (ZZZ)

Stamps are R on the base of bolt, 12-70 in an oval, M-1, H?? Z in an oval below the crown, X in a square, crossed rifles, 54 m/- ?, N below a smaller crown

N = nil!! Yes, a German hunting gun and apparently bought out by Anshutz

Is there any call for a rifle as this??

cheers King
bigman
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles