recomend me an air rifle

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

recomend me an air rifle

Post by Ed9362 » 15 Sep 2016, 4:18 pm

hi guys,

my old man lives on a small property and has a problem with rabbits eating his garden.
I gave him my old gamo 440 which has always been terribly inaccurate which has made killing rabbits cleanly difficult.

can anyone recommend a budget air rifle that is capable of killing a rabbit out to 25M and accurate enough for head/chest shots at that range. I have always used springers but from reading here is seems that PCPs are easier to shoot well. but I am open to anything.

the old man did try the 22 with zlongs but it goes through his colour bond fence so which is undesirable.
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: recomend me an air rifle

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 15 Sep 2016, 4:25 pm

HW97K for a really good springer and a HW100 for a really good PCP, you cant go wrong with them...apart from the price haha
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 15 Sep 2016, 4:37 pm

I have an old Gamo air rifle that is ok for plinking etc. If you want to get rabbits try asking the local gun shop for advice on a small vermin air rifle and decent pellets to go with it. If your on a budget, you could look at getting a pretty good rifle second hand. If its been looked after would serve the old man well for a long time.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Squiddy » 15 Sep 2016, 5:10 pm

.177 Walther century GT
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Walt68 » 15 Sep 2016, 5:16 pm

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-rifles/tr77-nps-177

I have one, very good piece of kit, accurate and powerful.
Walt68
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by AusTac » 15 Sep 2016, 5:20 pm

Anything Weihrauch can't go wrong
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Ed9362 » 15 Sep 2016, 5:38 pm

dpskipper wrote:I have an old Gamo air rifle that is ok for plinking etc. If you want to get rabbits try asking the local gun shop for advice on a small vermin air rifle and decent pellets to go with it. If your on a budget, you could look at getting a pretty good rifle second hand. If its been looked after would serve the old man well for a long time.

lol, first time I have ever seen someone recommending asking a shop for advice.

not trying to be a smart ass but it just doesn't happen very often
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bosbefok » 15 Sep 2016, 8:38 pm

I have a comets Fenix 400 in .22 that has taken rabbits.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 15 Sep 2016, 9:06 pm

If you want to go for a PCP, there are some good deals around on the Webley Raider, made by Hatsan and I believe they have Lothar Walther barrels, or the Hatsan AT 44 which is essentially the same air rifle with different dress. Both are more than accurate enough for headshots on rabbits and if you are shooting them at 50yds or less the.177 will do the job, 5fpe is all the power needed , the Raider and AT44 run at approximately 19-20 fpe. Of course if your budget is open you could look at Daystate, FX, Steyr, Anschutz or Weihrauch, don't forget also if putting a scope on it that the scope itself will focus under 25yds or preferably to 10, surprising how much close shooting you can do.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 15 Sep 2016, 9:33 pm

Budget and PCP do not go hand in hand. If you are on a budget you are really looking at springers. There is added cost with PCP such as pumps that add quite a bit to your purchase price.

If you are after quality , go German. Walther, Weihrauch, Diana, Anshultz, Feinwerkbau (never bothered learning how to spell it, can't afford them)
Air Arms from England also make good stuff, but I haven't seen a real lot of them around.

Spaniards and British make the next best quality BSA, Cometa, Gamo etc.

And then there is junk from China.

The old saying "Good ain't cheap, Cheap ain't good" is a little more apparent in air rifles. The German stuff are actual rifles , not toys. Quality adult guns that all shoot very accurately.

The cheaper Spanish and English guns are often built to a price point and can be a bit cheap and plastic. Some of them shoot very straight though. They also have some more expensive better quality models.

The Chinese stuff is just ******, I know some guys have accurate ones but most are just rubbish.

The all important question is, how much do you want to spend?

I have a Weihrauch HW77K that is stupidly accurate

image.jpeg
5 Shots per target, 28m
image.jpeg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 7028 times

image.jpeg
5 shots , 28m
image.jpeg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 7028 times
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by wade06 » 15 Sep 2016, 10:07 pm

Ed9362 wrote: the old man did try the 22 with zlongs but it goes through his colour bond fence so which is undesirable.

:lol:

Maybe try some CCI Quiet Segmented ammo? They are about the same velocity as the Z Langs, a lot more accurate, 40gr which segments into 3 pieces really easily. The segments would generally exit a rabbit but wouldn't go through a colourbond fence after that..... just don't miss. :D They are a bit louder than a .177 air rifle but not a lot.

I posted some accuracy tests on them earlier today. They are about $17 per 50.
You can see one segment on the bottom target. It stuck in the back of a cardboard box at 45m, the other two went through.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6703
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Sep 2016, 11:21 pm

If it's for hunting rabbits go with a .22 cal

Weihrauch make brilliant rifles. They get my vote.

Any of their under lever rifles are great and they make pcp if you're budget allows.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wrenchman » 16 Sep 2016, 10:30 am

whisper hunter
Attachments
product_whisper_hunter.jpg
product_whisper_hunter.jpg (10.08 KiB) Viewed 7000 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by dpskipper » 16 Sep 2016, 7:57 pm

Ed9362 wrote:
dpskipper wrote:I have an old Gamo air rifle that is ok for plinking etc. If you want to get rabbits try asking the local gun shop for advice on a small vermin air rifle and decent pellets to go with it. If your on a budget, you could look at getting a pretty good rifle second hand. If its been looked after would serve the old man well for a long time.

lol, first time I have ever seen someone recommending asking a shop for advice.

not trying to be a smart ass but it just doesn't happen very often

I dunno where you blokes are from but the gun shops I go to don't speak no bulls**t.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bill harr » 16 Sep 2016, 10:34 pm

Ill tell ya a trick that works well . get point e r slugs push them down the boor first or a old pease better short less work thin strong wire plastic ex . wont need a new gun . but a new one be best all models work good sum better if you wona pay the $ but all air guns loose there punch the more u use them . try my trick first see how u go up to you
bill harr
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Ed9362 » 16 Sep 2016, 10:46 pm

nice groups super duke.
I might have to keep an eye out for a second hand Weihrauch HW77K.

I had a Weihrauch 22 hornet and I was less than impressed with it but looks like they are the go with air rifles
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles