Norinco jw15a

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Norinco jw15a

Post by Mongrel » 16 Sep 2016, 8:04 pm

Well firstly id like to thank WM for taking me to Belmont today to try out my new Norinco 22lr.
Ok, So after me and WM cleaned the gun last weekend he thought today would be a good day to see what it can do.
I bought a brick of federal standards and winchester bushman high velocity rounds.
Tried the federals first and after about 60 rounds the gun hadnt missed a beat every bullet fired and all ejected :)
Then i tried the Winchester and only fired about 12 rounds and out of those 3 were stuck in the chamber after firing.
had to get a small screw driver and pry them out carefully.
And now for accuracy. Well not sure if its the bullets or not but for a $199 22lr, i got what i paid for. Bullets were going everywhere lol.
Once we got the scope sighted in, the groups on average were about 3.5 inch at 50m.
Were thinking it could be the scope that came with the gun, its a sabre 4x40. not much to look at :(

Thanks again WM had a ball today :thumbsup: :drinks: :thumbsup:
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Norinco jw15a

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Sep 2016, 10:54 pm

Suggest you try a different scope and a few brands of ammo.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Sep 2016, 9:33 am

I had a very good time too :D Have spent a lot of time and a bit of money on a couple of rifles and now they shoot very well.

As for Mongrel's rifle, the Norinco, I tried tweaking both take-down screws, one at a time, first one, then the other, both to no avail. All this, in case the bedding was the cause of poor groups but it became obvious that the problem was not just bad elevation. The rifle was missing the entire page :o :shock: :?
We were aiming at the SSAA 6 pack target and not only did we miss the aiming mark, sometimes I could not find a hole on paper :( So, I think Oldbloke is right; a different scope is called for but time is running out for Mongrel. His trip to NSW is fast approaching and he doesn't get much time at his local range for experimenting. Stay tuned for the next exciting episode folks :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Heckler303 » 17 Sep 2016, 10:11 am

Hey, Mongrel, fellow Norinco owner here, my one has brought me basically all the small game in the state of Tasmania and will take me into the SSAA rimfire comps next month. I'll let you in on a few things, for future reference:

Ok, so first thing's first, you are definitely going to need a good scope for it. One with low mounts too. The slant of that stock is a real pain and doesn't provide any kind of scope-height comb. I'm getting a new 3-9x40 variable to replace my 6x40, and it just clears the barrel and bolt when placed.

Secondly, free-float that barrel. Take the stock away from it, and use a Dremel or some other tool, with a sanding device of some kind, and deepen the channel. Keep placing the barreled action back into the stock and run a piece of paper through to check for tight spots. Bedding with shims is also a really good idea, I've got brass shims side-by-side of the screw-holes and supporting all key areas.

Thirdly, give all the moving parts a really good polish, say on a buffing wheel or from just a lot of steel wool and light grades of sandpaper. The bolt's camming action is very tight and takes a bit of effort when brand new, but after some TLC and light lubrication, it runs smooth. Hearing you've cleaned it is good, as when it comes in the box it has a lot of that mysterious Chinese packing oil. Clean all of it off every spot, degrease the entire thing and then spray it with water dispersant. Oh yeah, the trigger when it first arrives is horrendous. Take GunrackNZ's guide to improving it:
http://www.gunrack.co.nz/jw-15-trigger-improvement/

Fourthly, use any of the following ammo for best results, listed from most to least accurate:

Anything SK (Especially red-box match ammo))
Eley subsonic
Remington Subsonic
CCI Mini Mag
Winchester Super Speed
CCI Stingers
Winchester Powerpoint
CCI Quiet (Winchester Z's are junk and louder))

Happy shooting
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 17 Sep 2016, 2:31 pm

You'll want to put a lot of rounds down the tube - without cleaning it - before it settles down. I wasn't particularly impressed with the accuracy of my Ruger American until I had the first 1000 rounds through it.
Don't buy bricks until you know what shoots well in it, just grab a box of everything you can find and try it out. I picked up some Eley Edge today which will make 24 types I've tried in the Ruger so far in my search for its favorite.
Most stuff it shoots ten into around 2" at 50 yards. Perhaps half a dozen types shoot worse than that. Two or maybe three types will shoot under 2" at 100 yards.
I'm confident I can get ten rounds of Eley Match into 1.5" at 100 yards with a little bit of concentration.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Sep 2016, 2:52 pm

Sorry to ask the idiot question but did you double check the scope was mounted correctly and all screws were tight? Everyone has had this at some stage.

Also suggest you test free float the barrel with a washer a business card before you mess with the bedding. It may be OK as is.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 17 Sep 2016, 4:04 pm

Thanks guys lots of info here. That's what I love about this forum... Full of info and nice people to share it :thumbsup:
I will try the free floating first as that will be easiest for now. Then the scope as I have a Tasco 3x9x40 here.
Trigger adjustment seems to be in my capability, but as for polishing I will have to google it as I've nvr seen nor tried it.
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Sep 2016, 7:06 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Also suggest you test free float the barrel with a washer a business card before you mess with the bedding. It may be OK as is.

Good idea.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by RDobber » 19 Sep 2016, 2:07 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Sorry to ask the idiot question but did you double check the scope was mounted correctly and all screws were tight? Everyone has had this at some stage.

Guilty :oops:
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Mongrel » 25 Sep 2016, 3:48 pm

Just an update on the Norinco... Went to yandina SSAA range today.
All i did to the gun was put a washer under the front screw of the action, which then i could slide a piece of paper ll the way down the barrel no restictions :)
And i also polished the bolt a bit with some Autosol(only to help the bolt slide better) which it did slightly.
Here is some picks of the targets at 25m and 50m after i tweaked the scope turrets.

25 mtrs.JPG
This was after my 1st adjustment. Cant say how many shots exactly but was around 20-25
25 mtrs.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 4118 times

25 mtrs1.JPG
This was after a couple more adjustments only 10-12 from memory is this group
25 mtrs1.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 4118 times

These next few pics are at 50m

50 mtrs.JPG
My best group at 50m...5 shots
50 mtrs.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 4118 times

50 mtrs1.JPG
My next grp of 5 at 50m
50 mtrs1.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 4118 times

50 mtrs 2.JPG
And cause i had lots of time this is where i put my shots in after i did my 5 in a grp
50 mtrs 2.JPG (1015.9 KiB) Viewed 4118 times

So all in all what a difference to last week, as they were going ll over the place...much happier now :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

P.S. damnit after previewing post, all pics are sideways :crazy: ...tilt head left for correct viewing LOL
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles