Sportco 62A .22lr

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Sportco 62A .22lr

Post by Gwion » 18 Sep 2016, 11:53 am

Thought i'd share some pics of my old Sporti 62A .22lr that i have done some fixing on over the last few years.

When i first borrowed the rifle off a friend it was suffering somewhat from some very crude modifuckations. Someone had previously taken a hacksaw and lopped off the end of the barrel, including the front sight. I guess that mad the rear sight useless or it got in the way of a scope so the very roughly bashed that off as well. Then, they decided that the crew at Sportco didn't know what they were doing and that the rifle needed an rear action screw instead of just the single barrel lug screw that originally held the steel and timber together. In the process of drilling and taping the rear of the rear (expanding the hole that originally took one of the trigger group screws), they completely screwed up the timber in that area of the stock.

First thing i did was to bed the rifle, which meant i had to inlet a block of blackwood into the stock to rebuild some solid timber around the rear of the trigger group. I also installed a carbon fiber pillar there. Whilst doing this, the crappy screw the farm yard gunsmith had used gave out and i had to re-tap the hole and fit another screw, choosing a high tensile job this time 'round. I got it shooting quite nicely, even with the hacksawed off muzzle/crown, so i refinished the stock with my own little home made potion and sent the barreled action off to a gunsmith near Hobart to be re crowned; he also fixed the trigger which was sort of floating at the rear due to farm yard gunsmithing or 'modifuckations' (Rolf Hey, highly recommend him for quick turn around, good pricing and top notch work!).

Here is what it looked like after i had finished repairing it...

Sportco 62A 22LR 01.jpg
Sporti with scope mounted...
Sportco 62A 22LR 01.jpg (372.16 KiB) Viewed 7386 times

Sportco 62A 22LR 04.jpg
Rolf Hey crown job...
Sportco 62A 22LR 04.jpg (135.83 KiB) Viewed 7386 times

Well. As this is technically my wife's rifle and she can never get comfortable behind a scope, i decided that the rifle would be best with some iron sights so she can shoot it more comfortably; she'll never be taking longer shots than about 30m. Besides, i wanted a rifle with open sights to muck around with as well as take those bloody vegie thieves inside 10m, which a scope is just crap for.

Off it went back to Rolf..... he did the work that day with some sights he had lying around. Also re-crowned it again due to a unfortunate incident with a concrete floor. Photos below.

One QUESTION for you all. I am only familiar with open sights that have rear windage and elevation adjustment. This old leaf system has me a bit perplexed. I see how the elevation is adjusted but what do i do to correct windage for the rifle's preferred ammo???

Also, i'm interested to get an idea of year of production. I've looked up serial numbers and such but info on even a rough period of production is hard to come by. Anyone got some idea???

Sportco 01.jpg
Iron sights fitted... now it looks somewhat more like it originally would have.
Sportco 01.jpg (155.76 KiB) Viewed 7386 times

Spotco 03.jpg
The old girl... nice and simple.
Spotco 03.jpg (195.88 KiB) Viewed 7386 times

Spotco 04.jpg
Leaf sights... how do i adjust for windage???
Spotco 04.jpg (233.05 KiB) Viewed 7386 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Re: Sportco 62A .22lr

Post by Gwion » 18 Sep 2016, 11:54 am

PS: I'll dig up some pics of how it looked when i first got it and the process of fixing it up a bit....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Heckler303 » 18 Sep 2016, 12:47 pm

Damn it sucks when someone has to bubbarize something good on it's own. I've got 2 No.4 lee enfields and an M1917 that have really had a hard time in the hands of bubba + his blunt secondhand tools. Thankfully all have been saved and work brilliantly.

What kind of ammo does it like/what group sizes on average?
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Strikey » 18 Sep 2016, 12:54 pm

Nice job on the old Sportco, Gwion, to adjust windage you will need to tap the rear sight either left or right to get to your zero, I take that it is in a dovetail on the barrel, don't hit it too hard as it won't need to move too far
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 18 Sep 2016, 12:57 pm

With the scope it was shooting Win PP42max very well. Around 0.75" and less @ 50m. Open sights will change things a bit and i'll have to tune the action screws back to where they were. I'll have to look up old test targets for those specs.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by jeff80 » 18 Sep 2016, 2:46 pm

I bought a Sportco 63 as my first rifle a couple of years ago, it looks pretty much the same as this however the rear sight is a bit different. They are a fun gun to shoot.
jeff80
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 18 Sep 2016, 3:00 pm

Gwion,
Why will you have to, "tune the action screws back to where they were"?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 18 Sep 2016, 9:52 pm

Strikey wrote:Nice job on the old Sportco, Gwion, to adjust windage you will need to tap the rear sight either left or right to get to your zero, I take that it is in a dovetail on the barrel, don't hit it too hard as it won't need to move too far

Thanks again, mate. Will let you know how it goes.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 18 Sep 2016, 9:55 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Gwion,
Why will you have to, "tune the action screws back to where they were"?

From memory, it shoots better with the rear screw lighter than the front. About 17 inch/pounds: 23 or there abouts.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by deanp100 » 18 Sep 2016, 10:28 pm

That looks suspiciously like a lithgow mod 12 rear sight. but looks like the correct front sight.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 18 Sep 2016, 10:28 pm

That looks suspiciously like a lithgow mod 12 rear sight. but looks like the correct front sight.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 19 Sep 2016, 7:57 am

Hey Dean.... My thoughts exactly. I just asked Rolf to fit whatever he had lying around that would work. If the rifle was in more original condition I might have made more effort to source the correct sights.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 19 Sep 2016, 10:15 am

Here are some pics of the state the rifle was in when i got it and some of my efforts to fix it.

muzzle-crown.jpg
Farm yard gunsmiths.......
muzzle-crown.jpg (16.81 KiB) Viewed 7284 times

Stock-before.jpg
This is where the "extra" action screw was supposed to be doing it's job....
Stock-before.jpg (49.58 KiB) Viewed 7284 times

cutting-block-2.jpg
So i put this....
cutting-block-2.jpg (57.56 KiB) Viewed 7284 times

Inletting-block.jpg
In here....
Inletting-block.jpg (47.7 KiB) Viewed 7284 times

block-fitted-with-new-action-screw1.jpg
To give some solid material for the screw....
block-fitted-with-new-action-screw1.jpg (48.39 KiB) Viewed 7284 times

stock-rebedded.jpg
And bedded it.
stock-rebedded.jpg (120.74 KiB) Viewed 7284 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 19 Sep 2016, 10:18 am

PS: before anyone says it.... it really didn't like a floating barrel at all, so i pressure point bedded it after experimenting with business cards to find the right points and thickness of bedding. ;)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 19 Sep 2016, 11:18 am

Sighted it in @ 25m(ish). Took a bit of doing because i started adjusting the wrong way to being with. With a bit more practice i should do alright with it.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Supaduke » 19 Sep 2016, 11:41 am

The way I remembered for adjusting windage was to imagine the sights aimed directly at the target and the rifle moving. So if you are shooting to the right the rifle needs to move left. Hence the front sight goes right.

Or you move the sights towards the bullet hole relative to the target. Shooting right, drift it right.

Funny one of those simple things that can take a little bit to initially get your head around.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 19 Sep 2016, 11:43 am

My brain isn't working the best this morning...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RDobber » 19 Sep 2016, 1:21 pm

Classy photos there.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal