Which 22lr ...?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Which 22lr ...?

Post by KennyA » 30 Sep 2016, 7:47 am

Hi,

I'm about to buy a new 22lr, but which one for me.
I mainly shoot at the range these days so it will be used 90% for target shooting. 50 and 100 meters.
The style that I'm after is anything in a varmint or tactical profile.
The rifles that I have considered so far are......

CZ 455 varmint (thumbhole stock)
CZ 455 varmint Tacticool
Savage MK11 BTVS. (Thumbhole stock)
Ruger American 20" heavy barrel
Lithgow crossover

My existing centre fire rifles sport Boyd thumbhole and tactical stocks so I'm leaning towards models with A similar profile stock. Accuracy is very important. I have searched the net for reviews and videos on each model, but I keep getting mixed results. Some reviewers say that the savage is the most accurate factory 22lr made.

If you own one of the above rifles then I'd be very interested to hear what you personally think.

Thanks in advance.
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Which 22lr ...?

Post by AusTac » 30 Sep 2016, 7:53 am

I've had a lithgow for about a year now, and the only reason its not putting them on top kf each other is me, if its for target a laminate lithgow would be a good choice if nothing else takes your fancy
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Bosbefok » 30 Sep 2016, 12:16 pm

I have the 455 with .22lr, .22mag, .17hmr interchangeable barrels. Great rifle, possibly the most accurate rifle I have. I have used it for rimfire silhouette with great success.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SteamedHam » 30 Sep 2016, 2:12 pm

I too have the CZ455. It's ace.
SteamedHam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Sep 2016, 2:57 pm

KennyA wrote:Hi,

I'm about to buy a new 22lr, but which one for me.
I mainly shoot at the range these days so it will be used 90% for target shooting. 50 and 100 meters.
The style that I'm after is anything in a varmint or tactical profile.
The rifles that I have considered so far are......

CZ 455 varmint (thumbhole stock)
CZ 455 varmint Tacticool
Savage MK11 BTVS. (Thumbhole stock)
Ruger American 20" heavy barrel
Lithgow crossover

My existing centre fire rifles sport Boyd thumbhole and tactical stocks so I'm leaning towards models with A similar profile stock. Accuracy is very important. I have searched the net for reviews and videos on each model, but I keep getting mixed results. Some reviewers say that the savage is the most accurate factory 22lr made.

If you own one of the above rifles then I'd be very interested to hear what you personally think.

Thanks in advance.

I can't comment on the others, but I would take the Ruger out of the mix for serious target shooting.
My Compact is improving but I doubt it'll ever shoot 1MoA. I've tried 24 types of ammo in it so far.
For fifty-cents a shot I can keep it under 2MoA out to 100 meters now, but if I'm going to pay that just to get accuracy I might as well shoot .17HMR or Trailboss loads in the .204. Cheaper hunting ammo runs closer to 3-4MoA at 50m.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 30 Sep 2016, 3:31 pm

I've owned the CZ452 in varmint and sport profile and they are great shooters, but if I was doing 90% target shooting it would be an
Anschutz. I'm pretty sure there is a variant of the 1416 that comes with heavy barrel and thumb hole stock.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Sep 2016, 5:26 pm

G'day KennyA,
Any of your listed rifles would be suitable for your purpose, and accuracy would be less a function of rifle choice as a result of which ammo you use for the rifle you purchase. If great accuracy at reasonable cost is your desire, then a Martini International will out perform your list, but in a "hunting" style rifle you could also look at a Sako 94s HB or the Cooper 57M. Best value for money still seems to stay with Anschutz though, and there is a reason many champions shots choose them, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Broom » 11 Oct 2016, 2:43 pm

happyhunter wrote:I've owned the CZ452 in varmint and sport profile and they are great shooters, but if I was doing 90% target shooting it would be an
Anschutz.

Annies are the king, er, or Queen? :lol:
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 11 Oct 2016, 7:16 pm

FWIW,
My PTA is in for a CZ455 ZKM with a 16.5" barrel, the reasons for purchase being that I liked the "snub nose" look. But theoretically, the short barrel might have a consistent muzzle position at bullet exit. You can tell which is the real reason can't you 8-) ;) :)
Time will tell how accurate it is :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 11 Oct 2016, 7:24 pm

I've owned 17 .22s

The best being ...

My Lithgow model 12, closely followed by ....

Kimber model 82

( a Lithgow Model 12 can be had for about $250 )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 11 Oct 2016, 7:30 pm

I have a CZ 455 American Sporter. I've had it around 5-6 years it is really a nice gun, quite accurate though I'm going to say not MOA, but more accurate than I am. I've read on other forums that the Sporter seems to be more accurate than the Varmint model, I can't comment on that since I've only got the Sporter. I will say the trigger could be better, some day I'll get a replacement one.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by juststarting » 11 Oct 2016, 8:40 pm

I hate you all! Now I am thinking I need a scoped bolt action 22 for target practice at Springvale, to go with my lever action for plinking at s**t at random. Bunch of aholes. Deep breath, self control, maybe I should do a H license instead (for 22 handgun for Springvale)... :twisted:
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 11 Oct 2016, 8:41 pm

I really love my crossover- it's meaty with a nice high comb and front heavy; great for offhand plinking. Very smooth action with triple rear locking lugs for insane rigidity. The forend is wide and smooth (which took a little getting used to), but it absolutely DRIVES TACKS (if you can;) Had a few feeding problems at the start, but lithgow promptly replaced my mag and the problem has since gone away.

It can shoot moa @ 50m with the right ammo on a calm day, but under field conditions it'll average 1.5moa with most ammo.

My only complaint is the magazine is plastic and flimsy - you can replace with a cz thankfully. It's heavy too - not great combined with a bivouac pack when trekking.

Considering its intrinsic accuracy (not bearly as finicky as most 22s when it comes to ammo), IMO it's reasonable value at ~$1000.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 12 Oct 2016, 8:10 am

juststarting wrote:I hate you all! Now I am thinking I need a scoped bolt action 22 for target practice at Springvale, to go with my lever action for plinking at s**t at random. Bunch of aholes. Deep breath, self control, maybe I should do a H license instead (for 22 handgun for Springvale)... :twisted:

What! No bolt 22LR? You need to fix that :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 12 Oct 2016, 10:52 am

juststarting wrote:I hate you all! Now I am thinking I need a scoped bolt action 22 for target practice at Springvale, to go with my lever action for plinking at s**t at random. Bunch of aholes. Deep breath, self control, maybe I should do a H license instead (for 22 handgun for Springvale)... :twisted:

Takes a while to sink in for some......
:lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wylie27 » 12 Oct 2016, 10:57 am

But if you get a handgun then you will still NEED about action rifle.....

It's a hole you found in your safe, it will only be filled with a bolt action
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 12 Oct 2016, 11:17 am

True true. There are couple of empty slots...
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 12 Oct 2016, 11:39 am

When you have nearly two dozen 22s, both rifles and handguns, the question is which goes to the range today.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by KennyA » 28 Oct 2016, 8:26 pm

Ok.....
After a huge amount of reviewing, and testing a few models (Lithgow, Savage, CZ) I thought that I was going to buy the Lithgow Crossover.
But as always a real good special came along and I have purchased a new CZ452 Varmint with a bushnell AR 4.5-18x40 scope for under $950.
Now the $950 question is how well it shoot..?
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 29 Oct 2016, 12:58 am

KennyA wrote:Ok.....
After a huge amount of reviewing, and testing a few models (Lithgow, Savage, CZ) I thought that I was going to buy the Lithgow Crossover.
But as always a real good special came along and I have purchased a new CZ452 Varmint with a bushnell AR 4.5-18x40 scope for under $950.

I've the 455 American, after all I am an American. Really a nice rifle, definitely the most accurate 22 that I've got that I've gotten out to shoot. I've inherited a few I've not gotten out to shoot yet.

By-the-by I've a 3x9 Bushnell scope on my CZ 455.
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 29 Oct 2016, 7:20 am

KennyA wrote:Ok.....

Great choice. Enjoy!
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by KennyA » 08 Dec 2016, 6:14 pm

Update on the new C452 Varmint.

1st trip to the range was extremely disappointing.
Average groups were well over 1" at 50 meters.

So I did a DIY trigger job, refloated the barrel, removed the front action screw which actually attaches to the barrel.

Bought some so called premium ammo.

Best results at 50 meters (5 shot groups)
SK Match. 0.40
Eley Club. 0.57
Geco Rifle. 0.29
Fed. Champ. 0.54. (Not so premium)

Happy 22lr shooter now.
I'm told that it will get better with age as its only had about 100 rounds through it.

Evidence......[attachment=0]IMG_0049.JPG[/attachment
Attachments
IMG_0049.JPG
Geco Rifle
IMG_0049.JPG (960.2 KiB) Viewed 5350 times
IMG_0048.JPG
SK Match
IMG_0048.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 5350 times
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Dec 2016, 7:02 pm

Holy #$%^ Kenny, that's Witchcraft. Who woulda thorta takin' that damn screw out altogether? Not me that's for sure :cry: I spent hours bedding that lump dovetailed under the barrel. Then spent more time and money :( range testing and experimenting with varying degrees of tension on the pesky screw, that you had the sense to chuck :o :shock: :drinks:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 08 Dec 2016, 8:10 pm

That's a lot of leverage on one screw. Be putting a lot of torque on your tang. Also any bump on your barrel is going to slowly chew out the rear action hole. The whole action can swing in the stock like a pendulum. I really don't think it's going to be a good idea in the long run.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 08 Dec 2016, 8:26 pm

in2anity wrote:I really love my crossover- it's meaty with a nice high comb and front heavy; great for offhand plinking. Very smooth action with triple rear locking lugs for insane rigidity. The forend is wide and smooth (which took a little getting used to), but it absolutely DRIVES TACKS (if you can;) Had a few feeding problems at the start, but lithgow promptly replaced my mag and the problem has since gone away.

It can shoot moa @ 50m with the right ammo on a calm day, but under field conditions it'll average 1.5moa with most ammo.

My only complaint is the magazine is plastic and flimsy - you can replace with a cz thankfully. It's heavy too - not great combined with a bivouac pack when trekking.

Considering its intrinsic accuracy (not bearly as finicky as most 22s when it comes to ammo), IMO it's reasonable value at ~$1000.

nothing wrong with 1/2" at 50.................. well 0.5726" :thumbsup:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2016, 9:03 pm

Looking Good Kenny, I've heard of them removing the screw before so there's something in it going by your results.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles