.22 Hornet

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

.22 Hornet

Post by duncan61 » 15 Oct 2016, 11:44 am

I have the licence to pick up the hornet. :D I have had a H&R single shot before.I am keen to get some ammo and sight it in.It has battle sights and I plan to use it for stalking in the thick bush on my block
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Re: hornet

Post by GLS_1956 » 15 Oct 2016, 11:50 pm

The 22Hornet is great little cartridge when I got my first one 30ish years back, it is a Sako, I took it out after turkey, no luck, coyote, again no luck, and also cows. I got one of those buggers, then they realized I had a rifle and switched to flying 25 to 30 yards away instead of landing 100 yards distant.

I recently inherited a Ruger #3 in 22Hornet, I'd much rather still have dad around. I think the #3 would fill your bill as a stalking gun to a "T", trim and well balanced but surprisingly heavier than you think it would be.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 16 Oct 2016, 6:13 am

GLS_1956 wrote:The 22Hornet is great little cartridge when I got my first one 30ish years back, it is a Sako, I took it out after turkey, no luck, coyote, again no luck, and also cows. I got one of those buggers, then they realized I had a rifle and switched to flying 25 to 30 yards away instead of landing 100 yards distant.

I recently inherited a Ruger #3 in 22Hornet, I'd much rather still have dad around. I think the #3 would fill your bill as a stalking gun to a "T", trim and well balanced but surprisingly heavier than you think it would be.

Cows can be tough to kill. I once gave a box of .22LR to some fellas that wanted to get themselves a killer. They came back a half-hour later wanting more ammo. They'd shot all fifty rounds at this poor bloody cow and it was still walking around! Another box seemed to do the trick though as they brought me a huge lump of fresh beef that night, must've been the biggest bit they could salvage without any bullets lodged in it :-).
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 16 Oct 2016, 11:56 am

bladeracer wrote:
GLS_1956 wrote:The 22Hornet is great little cartridge when I got my first one 30ish years back, it is a Sako, I took it out after turkey, no luck, coyote, again no luck, and also cows. I got one of those buggers, then they realized I had a rifle and switched to flying 25 to 30 yards away instead of landing 100 yards distant.

Cows can be tough to kill. I once gave a box of .22LR to some blackfellas that wanted to get themselves a killer. They came back a half-hour later wanting more ammo. They'd shot all fifty rounds at this poor bloody cow and it was still walking around! Another box seemed to do the trick though as they brought me a huge lump of fresh beef that night, must've been the biggest bit they could salvage without any bullets lodged in it :-).[/quote

LOL Crows, I need to a better job of proof reading. But cows don't fly, only buffalos.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by duncan61 » 17 Oct 2016, 12:13 am

Yes I did not get the cows bit but we dont have groundhog or squirrels where I am.A bit more info,What I like to do is place reliable shooters at stations around the block where they have a clear veiw across the open paddock and I go in and flush all the grey kangaroos out of the thick bush that they like to hold up in during the day.I have often got within 20 metres before they take of if the wind is right but you need an open sight rifle to head shot and all my other gear has scopes.I tried with the .22 LR but it does not have the grunt that the hornet does.I will let you know how we go this year
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 17 Oct 2016, 3:49 am

I can't say how the Hornet would do on Kangaroos. Closest place around here is the Oklahoma City Zoo, I'm pretty sure they'd take a dim view of me popping one of their 'roos'.
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 17 Oct 2016, 8:29 am

GLS_1956 wrote:I can't say how the Hornet would do on Kangaroos. Closest place around here is the Oklahoma City Zoo, I'm pretty sure they'd take a dim view of me popping one of their 'roos'.

It would seem that Gorillas in Ohio are 'fair game' ..... so, I reckon you'll be right in knocking a roo.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by BBJ » 23 Jan 2017, 9:30 am

Had me going with the cows thing for a while too :lol:
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ