22LR Path

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

22LR Path

Post by Lokvo » 19 Oct 2016, 2:37 pm

Hey guys, newbie shooter here. Currently waiting on my cat A& B license to come through and I have sent 2 PTA's away at the same time for two 22LR's.

My thinking was this; 1 lever action .22 (No reasoning for it, just love them) and 1 bolt action 22

Is this a good idea? or should I get one .22 (either lever or bolt) and use the money meant for the second .22 on a bigger caliber rifle (.223 is probably the biggest I'd go for the purposes of my shooting.) to save funds in the long run? taking into consideration that in the end I'll only own about 3-4 rifles and I'm done.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: 22LR Path

Post by Baronvonrort » 19 Oct 2016, 4:31 pm

It depends on what your genuine reason is are you target shooting or hunting or both?

I would suggest a .22lr to start with then get a .223
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 19 Oct 2016, 4:49 pm

Why not flip a coin? Either was I think you'll be having a good time with those rifles.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Supaduke » 19 Oct 2016, 5:05 pm

Getting a .22 in both bolt and lever action is a great choice. Scope your bolt action for hunting and precision shooting. Leave the lever action open sight and use it off hand for fast firing plinking fun. Both will teach you great fundamentals for all sorts of shooting and will be cheap to feed. Levers are also terrific for introducing new shooters.

The ol "3 or 4 rifles and I'm done thing" .....BAHAHAHA, good luck with that in the long term. But if you want good all rounders after .22, get a .223 then a .308. That will cover everything you need for hunting and target shooting in Australia.

But then you need a shotty
Then you need a long range target rifle
Then you need something big bore
Then...
Then....
Then....
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Oct 2016, 5:29 pm

Lokvo wrote:Hey guys, newbie shooter here. Currently waiting on my cat A& B license to come through and I have sent 2 PTA's away at the same time for two 22LR's.

My thinking was this; 1 lever action .22 (No reasoning for it, just love them) and 1 bolt action 22

Is this a good idea? or should I get one .22 (either lever or bolt) and use the money meant for the second .22 on a bigger caliber rifle (.223 is probably the biggest I'd go for the purposes of my shooting.) to save funds in the long run? taking into consideration that in the end I'll only own about 3-4 rifles and I'm done.

.22's are good fun and an awesome tool for learning to shoot.
But if you seriously only have room for four firearms max, I don't think I'd want half of them to be .22's.
I'd buy one to begin with, put several thousand rounds through it and then decide if you need two of them.
But you would need to decide if you want the capability of the bolt action or the fun of the lever. Do you have access to property where you can make the most of the lever's appeal? Ranges don't usually allow you to have fun, I think a lot of ranges don't even let you load from the magazine, and having to load a lever .22 one round at a time doesn't sound like much fun to me. And you can't spend an afternoon in State Forest plinking at cans either.
My nearest SSAA range is one:
"3.5 Except where Discipline rules require, or with the approval of the duty Range Officer, firearms are to be single loaded. In any case, no more than five rounds may be loaded at any time."
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 19 Oct 2016, 5:33 pm

Little river and Springvale are fine with full mags, the op is in Queensland though so I'm not sure of the range rules up there.
Single loading a rimfire lever sounds like a giant pile of turd in the fun department :/
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 19 Oct 2016, 5:49 pm

Get a nice bolt action 22lr. Shoot a few thousand through it with open sights. Then put a scope on it and see how much easier it is to aim precisely but shoot slower. Start trying to shoot it at targets at longer range to learn about wind reading.... Then buy a lever with open sights for 'plinking' fun for when you get sick of chasing group size.
Then a 223rem.
Then something deer legal or capable at a longer target range.
Probably a shotgun in between some where.....

Do you plan to hunt or just shoot targets???
Casual target shooting or want to get serious???
Bunnies only or other ferals and maybe some game hunting???

You can't go wrong with a bolt action 22lr. You can learn to shoot accurately as they are usually more inherently accurate than lever actions for the same 'quality' of rifle (read price point). And i do say USUALLY.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gun-nut » 19 Oct 2016, 6:44 pm

Everyone above has solid advice that you should follow. Buy both the lever and the bolt, one for plinking, the other for target/hunting. Learn fundamentals with both these rifles then step it up and get a .223, .308 and if it interests you, a 12g shotty. Let us know what decision you make.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 19 Oct 2016, 6:46 pm

A .22 rimfire, a .243 and a 12 gauge ...

Have said it before.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Oct 2016, 8:06 pm

BA 22LR first. Accurate, cheap to buy and feed, incredbly versatile.

Then
BA 223 and a 12g, not necessaraly in that order
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 19 Oct 2016, 8:14 pm

You're all wrong....First thing is to buy a bigger safe then the rest of the discussion becomes redundant cause he can buy all :lol:
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 19 Oct 2016, 8:27 pm

Or in your case, bigger SAFES......
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by duncan61 » 19 Oct 2016, 11:14 pm

Supaduke got it.You have just started.I had the ruger lever gun in .17HMR sold it to a buddy so still have access to it go the lever in the ranges of .22LR it will be accurate enough you are aware there is a lot of different ammo for .22 from cat shot to CCI stingers.Enjoy
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 20 Oct 2016, 2:18 am

Lokvo wrote:Hey guys, newbie shooter here. Currently waiting on my cat A& B license to come through and I have sent 2 PTA's away at the same time for two 22LR's.

:welcome: Hello Lokvo, welcome to the forum and even more so to the wonderful world of shooting. Let me give you just a little back ground on me, so that you'll know where I'm coming from. I am 60 years old and am an American who was introduced to shooting at age 5-6 by my father. I have been buying guns since my teens and yes all were legally done, in Oklahoma it is legal for a 16 year old to buy a long gun and 18 to buy a handgun, these early were purchases from private persons and not from dealers. I do own a few guns. :D Of that number two dozen, 24, are 22s.

Why so many 22s? Well you know how you said one of the guns you're thinking about getting is a lever action, well I got one, a Marlin Model 39A and I got it for the same exact reason you list it. I love the looks and the way they work, the Marlin is a great gun, but a little pricey. I've shot a friend's Henry 22 "Golden Boy" real nice gun and less expensive than a Marlin but no slouch at the range, the owner is a great shot and she can keep a can moving as long as the gun has ammo. My dad had, now inherited by eldest brother, a Browning BL-22. These are fantastic guns I put thousands of rounds though dad's when I was in high school and I loved it, trim, accurate, and the short throw lever makes this the fastest repeater you can get without going to an autoloader.

Other 22s consist of three bolt action guns, two pump action rifles, two single shots, and four semiautomatics. Why the diversity you ask? Because there are five basic action styles: Single shot, bolt, pump, lever, and autoloader. The balance of 22s are handguns with them being single-shot, single action revolvers, double action revolver, and autoloaders. Again gotten for diversity in means of operation or appearance.

When I started out getting guns I didn't think that I'd end up with the number I have now, but I hope to add more. So don't limit yourself to thinking about only have 3-4 guns, shotguns are what I own the fewest of and there are 8 of them. In the end get what you want, because otherwise you won't be happy with what you got. :welcome: :welcome:
Last edited by GLS_1956 on 24 Oct 2016, 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by duncan61 » 20 Oct 2016, 2:36 am

GLS_1956 Hi Duncan1961 That is the best story I have ever heard.I was just going to get a shotgun ha ha ha.I lectured my engineering/shooting buddy on how can you shoot poor defenceless animals in 1982.The satisfaction of placing a good shot which is a combination of good gear and practice is like a hole in one at golf.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 20 Oct 2016, 7:14 am

The satisfaction of placing a good shot which is a combination of good gear and practice is like a hole in one at golf.

Perfectly sums up why I shoot, the constant drive to achieve smaller and smaller groups at longer and longer ranges. When asked why I shoot, I explain it as being like a golfer trying to achieve perfect 18 holes in 18 shots and not settling for anything less.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bosbefok » 20 Oct 2016, 10:42 am

Get what you want, when you are tired of it then sell it. In this journey you are likely to change your mind and get suitable rifles for your needs. .22 and .223 are both great calibres for different purposes. I will recommend cz as a great, accurate bolt action rim fire. I have a Winchester 250 lever for guests and knock about rifle and a cz 455 bolt for target and small game. I like both but the bolt is way more accurate. The lever is old though and could do with some love so not a fair comparison.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lokvo » 21 Oct 2016, 2:28 pm

Thanks for all the replies and advice guys! I think I'll end up buying two .22's (lever & bolt) to get my basics/fundamentals down and not develop any bad habits that may happen if I go to a big caliber straight away. The two on my wishlist are; Henry golden boy .22 and CZ 455 .22
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wade06 » 21 Oct 2016, 2:41 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:A .22 rimfire, a .243 and a 12 gauge ...

+1. They cover pretty much everything apart from really big stuff.

I'm now tossing up between a 243 or an O/U 12 gauge.... :D
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 21 Oct 2016, 6:21 pm

Can't go wrong with a CZ. Good quality rifle that will outlast you if cared for.

Henry's are excellent rifles. I have two, a .22 frontier (hex barrel) and a case hardened 45-70. Be aware that the golden boy (and silver boy) has a different stock angle compared to the rest of the .22 range. You may or may not like it. If you like the look of the hex barrel you could consider a frontier, Evil Roy or small game carbine. Good luck with getting your new guns either way.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Deacon » 21 Oct 2016, 7:21 pm

Levers are more fun to shoot in my opinion and with a lever .22 you could easily put hundreds of rounds down range in an afternoon. Recently picked up a BL22 and it's the most fun I've ever had shooting.
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by GLS_1956 » 22 Oct 2016, 12:42 am

The Golden Boy is a nice rifle, especially nice for the price. Around here you can pick one up for around $400USD, the Marlin and Browning lever guns go for a bit more. The action was quite smooth and while we did not shoot at Bullseye targets, it handled the, steel swingers, cans, and ritz crackers with equal aplomb.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 22 Oct 2016, 5:53 am

Henry... Nice!

If I was ever to buy a lever, reckon that would be the one.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by deadkitty » 22 Oct 2016, 8:31 am

Lokvo wrote:Thanks for all the replies and advice guys! I think I'll end up buying two .22's (lever & bolt) to get my basics/fundamentals down and not develop any bad habits that may happen if I go to a big caliber straight away. The two on my wishlist are; Henry golden boy .22 and CZ 455 .22

I'd go for the CZ , nice accurate little gun. :thumbsup: Cheers
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lokvo » 22 Oct 2016, 10:54 am

Yep, I can't even explain why I gravitated towards the Henry even after chatting with some fellow local gun owners in who basically trashed the Henry saying they were crap compared to the likes of say; Browning etc. And the CZ 455 I especially like granted it's well regarded status as being an overall accurate well made piece of kit. I'm leaning towards the .22LR version with 20" sporter barrel and tactical aesthetic stock (Boyd's stock I believe), only downside is that version doesn't have sights so I'll have to scope it out of the box...and I have no experience with scopes at ll lol! which rings, how to sight them in etc.
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 22 Oct 2016, 12:15 pm

Lokvo wrote:Yep, I can't even explain why I gravitated towards the Henry even after chatting with some fellow local gun owners in who basically trashed the Henry saying they were crap compared to the likes of say; Browning etc. And the CZ 455 I especially like granted it's well regarded status as being an overall accurate well made piece of kit. I'm leaning towards the .22LR version with 20" sporter barrel and tactical aesthetic stock (Boyd's stock I believe), only downside is that version doesn't have sights so I'll have to scope it out of the box...and I have no experience with scopes at ll lol! which rings, how to sight them in etc.

You're head's in the right space. My only suggestion is to consider learning with iron/peep sights in conjunction with a loop sling.
Last edited by in2anity on 22 Oct 2016, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 22 Oct 2016, 12:16 pm

Trashing Henry's is simply born of ignorance. Honestly , fools that don't know what the f$&k they are talking about. Ask anyone that actually owns a Henry if they are any good. They have a lifetime warranty and have been around for 20 years. If they were actually no good I doubt they would still be in business.

You don't have to like them, but I can assure you they are a quality rifle.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 23 Oct 2016, 12:43 am

Henry Golden Boy rifles are not poorly made and they shoot quite nicely. Deb, the friend who owns the Henry Golden Boy I shot has put tens of thousands of round through hers. Amongst other uses, she uses the Henry when she assists in the Women's Day gun training events.
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Lokvo » 23 Oct 2016, 3:39 pm

Yep I honestly don't know where the local blokes I talked to got their info about Henry from because even some casual research on the internet shows them in a good light.
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 23 Oct 2016, 3:59 pm

I've heard nice things about the Henry lever gun. Maybe because I'm not a member of any shooting clubs. The CZ455s are real good although my preference is the Model 1 or Model 2 Brno, preferably the pre 1980s builds.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles