22LR Path

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: 22LR Path

Post by wade06 » 21 Oct 2016, 2:41 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:A .22 rimfire, a .243 and a 12 gauge ...

+1. They cover pretty much everything apart from really big stuff.

I'm now tossing up between a 243 or an O/U 12 gauge.... :D
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 21 Oct 2016, 6:21 pm

Can't go wrong with a CZ. Good quality rifle that will outlast you if cared for.

Henry's are excellent rifles. I have two, a .22 frontier (hex barrel) and a case hardened 45-70. Be aware that the golden boy (and silver boy) has a different stock angle compared to the rest of the .22 range. You may or may not like it. If you like the look of the hex barrel you could consider a frontier, Evil Roy or small game carbine. Good luck with getting your new guns either way.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Deacon » 21 Oct 2016, 7:21 pm

Levers are more fun to shoot in my opinion and with a lever .22 you could easily put hundreds of rounds down range in an afternoon. Recently picked up a BL22 and it's the most fun I've ever had shooting.
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by GLS_1956 » 22 Oct 2016, 12:42 am

The Golden Boy is a nice rifle, especially nice for the price. Around here you can pick one up for around $400USD, the Marlin and Browning lever guns go for a bit more. The action was quite smooth and while we did not shoot at Bullseye targets, it handled the, steel swingers, cans, and ritz crackers with equal aplomb.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 22 Oct 2016, 5:53 am

Henry... Nice!

If I was ever to buy a lever, reckon that would be the one.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by deadkitty » 22 Oct 2016, 8:31 am

Lokvo wrote:Thanks for all the replies and advice guys! I think I'll end up buying two .22's (lever & bolt) to get my basics/fundamentals down and not develop any bad habits that may happen if I go to a big caliber straight away. The two on my wishlist are; Henry golden boy .22 and CZ 455 .22

I'd go for the CZ , nice accurate little gun. :thumbsup: Cheers
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lokvo » 22 Oct 2016, 10:54 am

Yep, I can't even explain why I gravitated towards the Henry even after chatting with some fellow local gun owners in who basically trashed the Henry saying they were crap compared to the likes of say; Browning etc. And the CZ 455 I especially like granted it's well regarded status as being an overall accurate well made piece of kit. I'm leaning towards the .22LR version with 20" sporter barrel and tactical aesthetic stock (Boyd's stock I believe), only downside is that version doesn't have sights so I'll have to scope it out of the box...and I have no experience with scopes at ll lol! which rings, how to sight them in etc.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 22 Oct 2016, 12:15 pm

Lokvo wrote:Yep, I can't even explain why I gravitated towards the Henry even after chatting with some fellow local gun owners in who basically trashed the Henry saying they were crap compared to the likes of say; Browning etc. And the CZ 455 I especially like granted it's well regarded status as being an overall accurate well made piece of kit. I'm leaning towards the .22LR version with 20" sporter barrel and tactical aesthetic stock (Boyd's stock I believe), only downside is that version doesn't have sights so I'll have to scope it out of the box...and I have no experience with scopes at ll lol! which rings, how to sight them in etc.

You're head's in the right space. My only suggestion is to consider learning with iron/peep sights in conjunction with a loop sling.
Last edited by in2anity on 22 Oct 2016, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 22 Oct 2016, 12:16 pm

Trashing Henry's is simply born of ignorance. Honestly , fools that don't know what the f$&k they are talking about. Ask anyone that actually owns a Henry if they are any good. They have a lifetime warranty and have been around for 20 years. If they were actually no good I doubt they would still be in business.

You don't have to like them, but I can assure you they are a quality rifle.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 23 Oct 2016, 12:43 am

Henry Golden Boy rifles are not poorly made and they shoot quite nicely. Deb, the friend who owns the Henry Golden Boy I shot has put tens of thousands of round through hers. Amongst other uses, she uses the Henry when she assists in the Women's Day gun training events.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Lokvo » 23 Oct 2016, 3:39 pm

Yep I honestly don't know where the local blokes I talked to got their info about Henry from because even some casual research on the internet shows them in a good light.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 23 Oct 2016, 3:59 pm

I've heard nice things about the Henry lever gun. Maybe because I'm not a member of any shooting clubs. The CZ455s are real good although my preference is the Model 1 or Model 2 Brno, preferably the pre 1980s builds.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles