Behold the mighty 22 rimfire

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Behold the mighty 22 rimfire

Post by GLS_1956 » 08 Nov 2016, 12:02 pm

I've been working through the gun collection, doing the pre-winter once over, and I will admit to being slightly amazed at the number of guns chambered for the little 22 rimfire. Now for myself the first gun I fired was a 22, that was well over 50 years back, and the 22 was the chambering of the first gun I ever purchased, actually the first three guns were all 22 rimfires.

Other calibers, from .17 to .45, in both rifles and pistols were bought, shot, and added to safe, but the ubiquitous 22 rimfire kept having its numbers increase as well. One reason, out of several, is of course he economy of the round. When I first started shooting them up you could get 22s for less than 2 cents a round now you have to pay upwards of a dime per shot, for some makes of ammo. Another factor is the negligible recoil the 22 generates, when compared to other rounds, that makes it a comfortable gun to shoot which encourages practice and makes guns in 22 rimfire great introductory guns for those learning the shooting sport. Finally that you can find a 22 rifle chambered in every "operating system" single shot, bolt action, pump, lever, and for those where it's allowed the semiautomatic and handguns that are also out there as single shots, single and double action revolvers, and again semiautomatic pistols. Yes I confess to having at least one of every type, age has its benefits.

I know not what guns will make the next trip to the range with me, but I'm fairly sure a 22 rimfire will be in there. So my Australian friends, what kind of 22 cat do you have lying around?
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Re: Behold the mighty 22 rimfire

Post by sandgroperbill » 08 Nov 2016, 12:18 pm

I have a soft spot for the slazenger/lithgow model 12.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Mango bill » 08 Nov 2016, 6:04 pm

I've owned, probably hundreds of them over the years, nearly every make and action you can think of but I've trimmed it down to three Bruno's (CZ's)
The ones I have now are as old as the hills but they shoot like a dream- ragged hole at 50 meters.
I started hunting rabbits with an old single shot someone gave me when I was 8 and now 50 years later I shoot some large caliber rifles but the 22's are always nearby.
Years ago in the small town I lived in I was given around 50 or more firearms(22's and 12 gauge) by the locals in our town when guns were given some bad press by the media, so I picked through them and kept the best ones and took the rest to the dump in my ute. Dammed shame but I had nowhere to keep them all.
Mango bill
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 08 Nov 2016, 8:16 pm

My first 22LR was a Stirling model 20, then a Ruger 10-22, then a Stirling Model 15 22 magnum. These days I shoot a Brno model 2 and it's my most used rifle.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by duncan61 » 08 Nov 2016, 9:56 pm

Had a few.At the moment the only one on my license is a 5 shot winchester bolt action I picked up for my mates grandchildren.On the weekend we all played with it and had a ball
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 09 Nov 2016, 12:51 am

GLS_1956 wrote:So my Australian friends, what kind of 22 cat do you have lying around?

I have four .22LR rifles.
Ruger American Rimfire Compact.
1940 Remington 510 (I've put a US Army 513T stock and 511 10-rd magazine on it).
Early '30's Cooey Ace-1 (I'm converting this to cock-on-close).
1950 BSA Sportsman 5.

The 510 won't shoot a group with anything. I'm going to try some jacketed .224 bullets and if they work I'll ream it to .22WMR. Otherwise I'll have to rebarrel it to make it useable again.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 09 Nov 2016, 4:11 pm

I've got a model 2 Brno with the barrel shortened and an Erma model 9422 clone that I bought for my missus for her 25th. The Brno shoots fantastic but I'd like a new barrel one day,the Erma is so so
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Supaduke » 09 Nov 2016, 5:03 pm

I really can't imagine any sort of gun collection without a .22 . I have three.
I'm gunna put it out there that those that say .22's are too small have tiny junk and are compensating ;)

If that offends you, then you are obviously the guy I'm talking about :thumbsup:

.22's rule
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 10 Nov 2016, 7:11 am

I have a Sportco 63a with open sights and a Browning T-bolt lefty that is scoped.

Both shoot very well but I'm not the best with open sights. I took the scope off it for close range use.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Lokvo » 10 Nov 2016, 10:20 am

Mentioned before but my first two rifles will .22LR, CZ 455 and Henry Golden Boy! I'm a newbie so by default I am a .22 fan.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Nov 2016, 2:58 pm

G'day Lokvo,
Don't worry about the newbie bit, I'm 50+ years into shooting and I still like my 22's. Still shoot 22 cal Training Rifle comps every month and currently use a Canadian No7 Enfield and a No8 Enfield, the Mrs uses a No2 MkIV Enfield and a BSA WOP. Have a few others for hunting and just plain fun. Like GLS_1956 who started this thread I also have a number of other rifles and handguns in larger calibres, but a 22 always gets to the range/field as well. Enjoy your rifles, and when you decide to move up in size, try to keep them, as a lot of us now regret not having that "first 22", Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lokvo » 11 Nov 2016, 8:33 am

Hi No1Mk3, thanks for the encouragement mate! good to know that even experienced shooters still take a liking to the .22. And yes I'll keep in mind to never let my 'first 22' go.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by alby » 11 Nov 2016, 9:02 am

Got a new Lithgow in laminate/titanium on order :). Previously I had a 1950s Brno Mod 1 which I bought in the late 80s which was basically brand new (they found a warehouse full in czechoslovakia when the wall came down). That Brno was my favourite rifle ever.
alby
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by p3seven » 11 Nov 2016, 9:35 am

Started in the 60's with my Dads Savage model 3 single shot. Learned to head shoot Scrub hens. (Good tucker). Next in the 80's was a Savage combination 22 lr/20 gauge. Just right for the hobby farm for foxes and bunnies. Sent that to Qld after NSW introduced onerous licencing laws in the early 90's. Since restarting shooting last year l have aquired 3. A Savage BTSV with 6-24 scope for range work and to get my shooting techniques back. A Henry H001 with a red dot sight for field shooting bunnies etc. A short barrel Savage mark ll FV something with a 6X scope, for the lady in my life to learn with. Will transfer that when she has her licence.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Nov 2016, 8:47 pm

Brno Model 2. I purchased it new from Harris in Melbourne 1978. Still use it for bunnies when I get the chance.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles