Anschutz 1416 or CZ or ????

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Anschutz 1416 or CZ or ????

Post by rsj223 » 30 Nov 2016, 7:46 pm

Ok so I have a line of credit at my LGS as my Lithgow has now been refunded, and would like advise on a new .22.
Anschutz 1416, CZ 455, weihrauch maybe, Ruger american for a cheap option I did ask the guy at the LGS to sell me another Lithgow he was not happy.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Anschutz 1416 or CZ or ????

Post by allan » 30 Nov 2016, 8:20 pm

Only you can decide what's best for your needs.
Based on personal experience, I'd take either the LA101 or 1416 over a 455.
The 1416 trigger can be tuned far easier than the LA101 trigger but the overall design of the Lithgow is better than the 64 action.
Haven't actually tested a Weihrauch but the build quality and design are every bit the equal of the 1416.
Not familiar with your reasons for parting with the Lithgow but it would be my first choice from the rifles you are considering.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by SHV » 30 Nov 2016, 9:59 pm

hunting 1416 DKV, all rounder crossover, I have both and another two 22lr rifles, 1710 DHB and savage FVSR

for hunting I will take 1416 or FVSR, crossover is a bit heavy
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 01 Dec 2016, 6:34 am

How about a 452? I'd take a 452 over a 455, I've heard/read about mixed results when it comes to 455 accuracy.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 01 Dec 2016, 7:30 am

in2anity wrote:How about a 452? I'd take a 452 over a 455, I've heard/read about mixed results when it comes to 455 accuracy.

452 only used now I understand
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 01 Dec 2016, 7:35 am

I would go the 1416 with the 18 inch threaded barrel and thumbhole stock, they do the 1416 with 14,18 and 23 inch barrels.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 01 Dec 2016, 9:50 am

It's such a shame you had an awful experience with your 101. To quote allan "the Lithgow Arms LA101 is a LOT of gun for the money. I have an early and late model production version of this rifle - The new one (September 2016) is perhaps the best "out of the box" rim fire I have ever purchased". I totally agree - it's an absolute beast and still light enough to compete in the "rimfire silhouette - hunting rifle" category (just) :D
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kelix » 01 Dec 2016, 10:47 am

The finish on the Anschutz is so good.

But costs $$$$

If it's in the budget though I would go an Annie.
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 01 Dec 2016, 11:05 am

Never use the CZ, only used a Weihrauch, not great, but it was being fed Remington Bucket O' Bullets so wasn't expecting much.

I've got the 1416 heavy barrel with the beavertail stock and love it.

anschutz-1416dhb.jpg
anschutz-1416dhb.jpg (31.86 KiB) Viewed 13665 times

Best-ish 2 groups I've shot on it using cheap RWS club ammo.

anschutz-5-shot-group.jpg
anschutz-5-shot-group.jpg (25.33 KiB) Viewed 13665 times

anschutz-10-shot-group.jpg
anschutz-10-shot-group.jpg (24.25 KiB) Viewed 13665 times

:mrgreen:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 01 Dec 2016, 2:21 pm

IMG_4032.JPG
IMG_4032.JPG (641.99 KiB) Viewed 13648 times

From my crossover rsj....

Sorry mate couldn't resist.

So glad the gun shop gave you credit... I was ready to burn mine... she still does it occasionally.. but it's the damn CZ follower now.

The Schultz is the way to go, but every time you pull the trigger you will hear I know nothink nothiiinkkk
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 01 Dec 2016, 3:18 pm

What about Sako?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Tomek » 01 Dec 2016, 3:39 pm

Are there any proper reviews of Anschutz 1416 / 1710s where they try a whole bunch of ammo, including lower end stuff like CCI / Winchester hollow points? I sometimes hear these guns don't take cheap ammo so you may get stuck hunting with round nosed bullets. I found a nice review of the Lithgow where they test a whole bunch.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 01 Dec 2016, 3:46 pm

Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 01 Dec 2016, 5:58 pm

Tomek wrote:Are there any proper reviews of Anschutz 1416 / 1710s where they try a whole bunch of ammo, including lower end stuff like CCI / Winchester hollow points? I sometimes hear these guns don't take cheap ammo so you may get stuck hunting with round nosed bullets.

RWS High velocity 40gr HP and Subsonic 40gr HP field line are hollow points for hunting.

Use the cheaper stuff for plinking or when you give someone else a go to make yourself look better than them. :D
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Tomek » 01 Dec 2016, 6:22 pm

That's great stuff! Not as good as I hoped though. Are there any such reviews for the 1710?
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 01 Dec 2016, 6:33 pm

Tomek wrote:
That's great stuff! Not as good as I hoped though. Are there any such reviews for the 1710?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9OWa3ycYBQ
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by allan » 01 Dec 2016, 6:57 pm

Tomek wrote:Are there any proper reviews of Anschutz 1416 / 1710s where they try a whole bunch of ammo, including lower end stuff like CCI / Winchester hollow points? .

I have several 54's including 3X1710's & a 64/1416.
IME, Anschutz sporters do NOT like CCI - They shoot it OK but due to the driving band design on CCI bullets, the bolt is hard to close and shoot enough of them & you will have extraction problems.

All mine will shoot any standard velocity offerings from Eley, SK/Lapua & RWS very well - Good lot numbers of SK Standard Plus will consistently shoot sub .5" at 50 in good conditions. CenterX & Eley Team usually better depending on lot number.

Hollow point hunting rounds from Winchester, SK & RWS all perform well. SK HV HP's shoot very accurately in every Anschutz sporter I've owned.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by rsj223 » 01 Dec 2016, 7:43 pm

Lorgar wrote:Never use the CZ, only used a Weihrauch, not great, but it was being fed Remington Bucket O' Bullets so wasn't expecting much.

I've got the 1416 heavy barrel with the beavertail stock and love it.

anschutz-1416dhb.jpg

Best-ish 2 groups I've shot on it using cheap RWS club ammo.

anschutz-5-shot-group.jpg

anschutz-10-shot-group.jpg

:mrgreen:

Yep I seen your posts on it but 50/50 on the beavertail stock I like it for the bench but not sure about hunting/plinking.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 01 Dec 2016, 7:46 pm

Wylie27 wrote:
IMG_4032.JPG

From my crossover rsj....

Sorry mate couldn't resist.

So glad the gun shop gave you credit... I was ready to burn mine... she still does it occasionally.. but it's the damn CZ follower now.

The Schultz is the way to go, but every time you pull the trigger you will hear I know nothink nothiiinkkk

I did get some very good groups from the Lithgow but i should not have to fix my new rifle at my own time and cost (bending the follower) and other things.
I glad your happy but you need to get them to fix the original magazine so it does what it was meant to do.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 01 Dec 2016, 7:49 pm

Gwion wrote:What about Sako?

Yep started to look at them but my LGS dont have any, off to another one on the weekend to see whats on offer.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Tomek » 01 Dec 2016, 8:21 pm

allan wrote:
Tomek wrote:Are there any proper reviews of Anschutz 1416 / 1710s where they try a whole bunch of ammo, including lower end stuff like CCI / Winchester hollow points? .

IME, Anschutz sporters do NOT like CCI - They shoot it OK but due to the driving band design on CCI bullets, the bolt is hard to close and shoot enough of them & you will have extraction problems.

All mine will shoot any standard velocity offerings from Eley, SK/Lapua & RWS very well - Good lot numbers of SK Standard Plus will consistently shoot sub .5" at 50 in good conditions. CenterX & Eley Team usually better depending on lot number.

Hollow point hunting rounds from Winchester, SK & RWS all perform well. SK HV HP's shoot very accurately in every Anschutz sporter I've owned.

I know each rifle is different, but what kind of groups do you get with subsonic HP or other HPs? Have you tried Eley Subsonic HP?
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SHV » 01 Dec 2016, 11:00 pm

allan wrote:

CCI SV on my 1710 DHB is not bad but some times the bolt is hard to close, does it mean if shoot CCI enough will have extraction problem too?
I used Lapua club (500 can) before it was really good but now can not find anywhere, some people say it's the same as SK magazine, is that true?
thanks a lot
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by albat » 02 Dec 2016, 4:24 am

The one big advantage the 455 has is the barrel swap for all the rimfire calibres. I swap barrels regularly with no issue depending on what im doing with no accuracy issues .depends on what you're doing i guess but value wise this is hard to beat i think you can get the full barrel set for the price of some of the others mentioned here
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 02 Dec 2016, 6:23 am

albat wrote:The one big advantage the 455 has is the barrel swap for all the rimfire calibres. I swap barrels regularly with no issue depending on what im doing with no accuracy issues .depends on what you're doing i guess but value wise this is hard to beat i think you can get the full barrel set for the price of some of the others mentioned here

That sounds good in theory, but it seems like a bit of a gimmick to me. I mean, I'd imagine your POI would change laterally, meaning you'd need timeout to re-zero it (which you wouldn't dare do mid-trip). After a while, I see owners just settling on one barrel. It might be worth it if the barrels were cheap, but they're not.

When it comes to 22wmr vs 17hmr, meh same cr@p different smell - you only really need one of those calibers. So I say pick either a nice 22lr or a nice 17hmr/22wmr, then back it up with a cheaper one if you really feel the need for that second rimfire caliber.

That said, options are limited because CZ are now enforcing the 455 (i.e. 452 are no longer in production). TBH I really don't like this marketing strategy.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 02 Dec 2016, 8:02 am

Both good rifles although I'm a fan of the CZ452 over the 455s, but if you have the dough the Annie 1416 would be my choice.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Lorgar » 02 Dec 2016, 10:04 am

Tomek wrote:That's great stuff! Not as good as I hoped though. Are there any such reviews for the 1710?

Dunno mate, I'm just a guy with one Annie sharing a bit of stuff. Not a shop with 100 things on hand to try.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 02 Dec 2016, 10:16 am

rsj223 wrote:Yep I seen your posts on it but 50/50 on the beavertail stock I like it for the bench but not sure about hunting/plinking.

In hindsight I have mixed feelings about the beavertail stock to be honest.

At the time I bought it I lived 10 minutes from the local indoor range, and it was bought as a dedicated BR right so the BT stock seems to be the way to go over a sporter.

I only have 2 rifles, the Annie and my 7mm-08 Tikka. When I go camping/hunting it's for game and maybe a pest or two if one wanders past, and the Annie is usually just for the range so 95% of the time it's fine.

On occasion though I've been invited to a property to hunt some bunnies and it's a bit of a pain. The BT stock isn't the best for freehand shooting, and has no stud for a sling/bipod so you have to carry the thing in your arms and can only shoot freehand. Or I have to take the 7mm and be the jerk blasting off with the centre fire while mates are going *snap* *snap* on their rimfires :lol:

Love what the rifle does, but not the stock in that instance. I haven't gotten around to it yet but I think the best option is to buy a sporter stock and change between them on occasion when required. Just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by allan » 02 Dec 2016, 1:40 pm

Tomek wrote:I know each rifle is different, but what kind of groups do you get with subsonic HP or other HPs? Have you tried Eley Subsonic HP?

Sorry, I only shoot match ammo. in standard velocity and the only HP's I use these days are SK HV. Given ideal conditions on an outdoor range, I have a number of sporters capable of shooting these into 2 MOA at 100. Just remember, a puff of wind or the odd "flier" will destroy any rim fire group at 100 :D
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by allan » 02 Dec 2016, 1:53 pm

SHV wrote:CCI SV on my 1710 DHB is not bad but some times the bolt is hard to close, does it mean if shoot CCI enough will have extraction problem too?
I used Lapua club (500 can) before it was really good but now can not find anywhere, some people say it's the same as SK magazine, is that true?

Anschutz sporter chambers, though not true match chambers, are reamed to pretty tight specs. Shoot enough CCI SV through one and the bullet design combined with the build up of lubricant, will eventually lead to failures to extract reliably. I've tried this exercise a few times to satisfy my own curiosity. If Anschutz sporters have a flaw, it is in the extractors :(
Not only will they not always pull a live round from the chamber but they have suffered from "hit and miss" ejection forever.
Club & Magazine could well be the same as I would assume they come off the same machines at Lapua. I'm a fan of Standard Plus and buy a few boxes of anything I come across. The lot numbers are the secret and the odd lot shoot way above the price point at times. If I strike a good batch, I send my wife back to buy heaps!!!
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by allan » 02 Dec 2016, 2:04 pm

rsj223 wrote:
Wylie27 wrote: I was ready to burn mine... she still does it occasionally.. but it's the damn CZ follower now.

I did get some very good groups from the Lithgow but i should not have to fix my new rifle at my own time and cost (bending the follower) and other things.
I glad your happy but you need to get them to fix the original magazine so it does what it was meant to do.

It's a shame that some of you fellows have had these feed issues with the Lithgow. I have 6 Lithgow magazines & a CZ 5 round metal mag. for my two LA101's.
Yes, I had to adjust the followers in three and replace one with a CZ follower straight up. These rifles have fired over a case of assorted ammo. without one incident.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles