Anschutz 1416 or CZ or ????

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Anschutz 1416 or CZ or ????

Post by rsj223 » 30 Mar 2017, 7:25 pm

rsj223 wrote:FYI From Ruger Today
The 8334 barrel tapers from .760 diameter to a .720 diameter at the muzzle. The 8348 barrel is 0.860 with no taper.

The target model has a wood laminate stock vs. plastic and the accuracy should be better.

Ruger Customer Service

So need some help as I want to either buy the OD Green or place an order for the Target.
Can the barrel thickness set out above make a difference on a .22 when they are both hammer forged and whatever that stuff means and the same action and length.
I dont want a super bench rifle but would be good to sit on the bench and get reasonable groups but would mostly be used for hunting and plinking.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 Mar 2017, 2:31 am

rsj223 wrote:So need some help as I want to either buy the OD Green or place an order for the Target.
Can the barrel thickness set out above make a difference on a .22 when they are both hammer forged and whatever that stuff means and the same action and length.
I dont want a super bench rifle but would be good to sit on the bench and get reasonable groups but would mostly be used for hunting and plinking.

I really don't know with a .22. All the current rimfires run at 24,000psi max, roughly double that of shotguns but half that of most high-velocity centrefires. I would expect it's still enough for barrel harmonics to have an affect on accuracy.
Ruger claims my Compact is 2.4kg, while the Target is 3.04kg - 25% heavier (both with 18" barrels). With almost 40% more steel in the barrel I would expect it to better withstand barrel whip. I don't know if it's possible to get a .22 hot enough for temperature to play any role in accuracy but I doubt it.

When I was a kid I had a very long, very heavy barrel on a single-shot .22 rifle and it shot very, very well. But was ridiculously heavy for field use.
Last edited by bladeracer on 10 Apr 2017, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 10 Apr 2017, 7:36 pm

Get the target version if you can hold out. If you want pinpoint accuracy, barrel meat is your friend.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Seamouse » 13 Apr 2017, 12:52 pm

I've been looking at getting my first 22 and had narrowed it down pretty much to what has been discussed in this thread American rimfire and a cz 455. A bit confused about which model 455 to be looking at, and if anyone knows is a busman just an American with a southern cross on the handle?

Thanks
Seamouse
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by bladeracer » 13 Apr 2017, 3:58 pm

I just got an email. NIOA expect to land the Ruger Rimfire Target on April 20.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 13 Apr 2017, 7:25 pm

Yeah and I think they should be at the SSAA shot show in May and I thinks I will wait for that now.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 04 May 2017, 8:04 pm

So still waiting for the show but seen this today, has anyone seen or know much about Savage?
https://www.nioa.com.au/products/view/B22F
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 May 2017, 2:30 pm

bladeracer wrote:I just got an email. NIOA expect to land the Ruger Rimfire Target on April 20.

My Ruger Target arrived at the shop just after lunch so I raced in and grabbed it.
Also got another eight types of ammo for a huge test-fest - I should be able to run at least 40 different types through it :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 23 May 2017, 7:41 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I just got an email. NIOA expect to land the Ruger Rimfire Target on April 20.

My Ruger Target arrived at the shop just after lunch so I raced in and grabbed it.
Also got another eight types of ammo for a huge test-fest - I should be able to run at least 40 different types through it :-)

Nice how does it feel? can you pm me what LGS and do they have more.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 23 May 2017, 8:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Make sure you post a range-report blade! Very interested to see how she groups- could take CZ's place at that price-point.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 24 May 2017, 8:47 am

rsj223 wrote:Nice how does it feel? can you pm me what LGS and do they have more.

Looks and feels like any Ruger should, perfect ;-)
I had my local order it for me from NIOA on February 16th, and half the first 200-rifle shipment was already spoken for at that time.
They arrived in Oz on April 20th, then NIOA had to get them through Customs before sending them to dealers.
$700 plus the $10 PtA.

Just ask your local to order one.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 May 2017, 8:48 am

in2anity wrote:Make sure you post a range-report blade! Very interested to see how she groups- could take CZ's place at that price-point.

Definitely going to keep everybody informed :-)
https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8123
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles