22lr Muzzle Velocity Relative to Barrel Length

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: 22lr Muzzle Velocity Relative to Barrel Length

Post by happyhunter » 01 Jan 2017, 8:51 pm

Stingers are designed to work best in a 22 inch barrel. Slower powder, more of it.

Anyway, back to the original topic.
It'd be nice if I had a nice round formula that would be applicable to any ranges between 100m and 200m

Unfortunately there isn't one :)
You would have to accurately measure the velocity at 100m and 200m and calculate the B.C from those numbers and use. have a read of what is published on the Hornady website and some good stuff here. www.snipercountry.com/ballistics/index.html

Also check out the JBM website and there is some stuff at Sellier and Bellot that might give you an idea of what is needed to get more realistic results from ballistic calculators.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by in2anity » 01 Jan 2017, 9:47 pm

:crazy: Ha so I figured out why they were hitting low - my range finder was set to meters yet I was still calculating based on yards herp derp! So in reality I had only adjusted for 137m (instead of 150m). Whoops - new range finder for Chrissy, don't I feel stupid! This almost exactly describes the discrepancy!

I think what I can take away from this however is that generally the muzzle velocity difference for a 16" vs a 21" is pretty negligible - and indeed there are other variables at play (like manufacturing deviations and differences between rifles).

I still would like to know what the published velocity is relative to however...

Thanks to all for your inputs.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 03 Jan 2017, 1:59 pm

in2anity wrote:I still would like to know what the published velocity is relative to however...

I can only surmise that the majority of the brands don't published actual tested data, they just use a sensible average.

Look at the MV numbers from Federal, SK, CCI and plenty of others. Across the rate you'll see certain numbers repeated in all the brands 1250, 1200, 1080, 1050, 1040.

No velocities like 1252, 1204, 1086... You're telling me everyone's making a dozen types of different ammo, testing them on different platforms, and all are getting velocities to a neat 10 fps on everything? I think not.

They're just indicative figures to get you in the ball park you want to be in. Sub-sonic or super-sonic, and how slow or fast you want on either side of the fence. Understandable considering that unless you're using their testing platform (which we're not) the numbers won't be correct anyway.

Sellier & Bellot and RWS are the only 2 brands I can think of that state velocities with the variance you'd expect. As examples RWS states 1082 fps for their club ammo, S&B say 1066 fps for theirs. But again, once it goes through your or mine or anyone else's rifle those numbers aren't going to be spot on.

If you want truly accurate numbers you need to run the loads through your own setup work it out yourself. You should still be able to get a somewhat accurate figure without a chrono though.

Try this... Zero for 50 metres, shoot a 10-shot group at 25m, 50m, 75m, 100m and 150m without change the zero and record the average rise/drop.

Put the projectile weight, BC and claimed MV of the ammo into a trajectory calculator and see what the calculated arc looks like compared to the results you've recorded.

From there increase or decrease the MV figure entered in the calculator as required incrementally and refresh the results, comparing the calculated arc to your recorded results.

When they match you've got you've got your actual (close enough) MV.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 03 Jan 2017, 3:14 pm

SendIt wrote:
in2anity wrote:I still would like to know what the published velocity is relative to however...

I can only surmise that the majority of the brands don't published actual tested data, they just use a sensible average.

Look at the MV numbers from Federal, SK, CCI and plenty of others. Across the rate you'll see certain numbers repeated in all the brands 1250, 1200, 1080, 1050, 1040.

No velocities like 1252, 1204, 1086... You're telling me everyone's making a dozen types of different ammo, testing them on different platforms, and all are getting velocities to a neat 10 fps on everything? I think not.

They're just indicative figures to get you in the ball park you want to be in. Sub-sonic or super-sonic, and how slow or fast you want on either side of the fence. Understandable considering that unless you're using their testing platform (which we're not) the numbers won't be correct anyway.

Sellier & Bellot and RWS are the only 2 brands I can think of that state velocities with the variance you'd expect. As examples RWS states 1082 fps for their club ammo, S&B say 1066 fps for theirs. But again, once it goes through your or mine or anyone else's rifle those numbers aren't going to be spot on.

If you want truly accurate numbers you need to run the loads through your own setup work it out yourself. You should still be able to get a somewhat accurate figure without a chrono though.

Try this... Zero for 50 metres, shoot a 10-shot group at 25m, 50m, 75m, 100m and 150m without change the zero and record the average rise/drop.

Put the projectile weight, BC and claimed MV of the ammo into a trajectory calculator and see what the calculated arc looks like compared to the results you've recorded.

From there increase or decrease the MV figure entered in the calculator as required incrementally and refresh the results, comparing the calculated arc to your recorded results.

Good advice thanks :thumbsup:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 09 Jan 2017, 7:53 am

SendIt wrote:

Well put sendit.
To my way of thinking however, if you have generated a trajectory table, why would you care any longer about the muzzle velocity.
I would like to add that all standard velocity target ammo is generally made for use in standard smallbore target rifles to produce subsonic velocities within the normally encountered range of elevations (height above sea level), temperatures and atmospheric pressures at any likely smallbore competition. The aim is to keep the projectile out of the transonic range of velocities, about 1100 to 1200 FPS, where inconsistent accuracy is the result.
Generally smallbore rifles have a 26 inch barrel.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 09 Jan 2017, 8:45 am

straightshooter wrote:To my way of thinking however, if you have generated a trajectory table, why would you care any longer about the muzzle velocity.

For some of us (suburbanites) who only have limited places to shoot, this may be difficult to generate, so we have to go off the published velocities :thumbsup:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles