New toy, .22lr AR15

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

New toy, .22lr AR15

Post by dogmatix » 28 Feb 2017, 6:37 pm

Well sort of.

2nd hand CMMG .22lr AR15 upper. Not a slip in bolt conversion kit.
Has the 1 in 16" barrel, CMMG .22 bolt and carrier, modded dust cover and additional shell deflector.
Forward assist is locked in place
Has the modded charging handle, ie with shallow groove, as there is no gas tube required.
MAE rimfire suppressor (like all MAE, built like a tank)
Lower is my Spikes with carbine buffer with NZ made Katipo thumbhole stock. I've put heavier Schmeisser trigger springs to help with .22 ignition.
Mag says 15, but 14 rounds is max, have 4x 10 rounder Black Dog mags coming from Brownells.

Like all AR .22s they are quite picky with ammo, this really only likes CCI 'Suppressor' subs and CCI Minimags.
Accuracy is acceptable, 1" at 50m with the subs and 2" at 100m.
A fun gun to shoot, especially when people think its going to be a .223 and wonder why its so quiet.
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Re: New toy

Post by pete1 » 28 Feb 2017, 6:59 pm

Very nice, I'm jealous
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by dogmatix » 28 Feb 2017, 7:07 pm

Just to rub it in more sorry, it can be owned by any standard firearms license holder here in Nun Zud.
Of course being a dedicated upper, I can swap it around onto my other AR lower receivers.
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by GLS_1956 » 28 Feb 2017, 7:41 pm

Nice looking little rifle. I'm wanting to get a 22LR that's an AR look alike. I'm thinking more about S&W's offering.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Deacon » 28 Feb 2017, 9:13 pm

Dang New Zealand just gets more and more appealing. What's the price point on a rig like this over there? And what about a centre fire version?
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by dogmatix » 01 Mar 2017, 2:16 am

Deacon wrote:Dang New Zealand just gets more and more appealing. What's the price point on a rig like this over there? And what about a centre fire version?

Excluding the scope and mount. you can get a dedicated .22 AR for around $1600 NZ, building mine cost around the same.
Entry level centrefire ARs are around the same. You can spend much more of course on better quality.
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by dogmatix » 01 Mar 2017, 4:00 am

GLS_1956 wrote:Nice looking little rifle. I'm wanting to get a 22LR that's an AR look alike. I'm thinking more about S&W's offering.

The S&W .22s sure are nice and light. They have a lot of polymer parts.
Last edited by dogmatix on 01 Mar 2017, 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by Title_II » 01 Mar 2017, 5:28 am

That's interesting. It has the deflector of the Colt 9mm. The CMMG is popular here but I guess I never saw one. Aren't they fun? :)

Here is my .22 Spikes upper. They don't make them anymore. Unsuppressed it will only shoot Aquilla Super Extra. Suppressed it will shoot anything. I'm using Bazooka Bros adapter to shot American 180 multi layer pancake mags. I think this is 275 rounds.

No firearms license, no such thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2PVLeVWl7w

There is a second vid but I can't find it from this computer, click on my user name at the video.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by dogmatix » 01 Mar 2017, 5:41 am

Yep, most of the .22 AR uppers I've seen have just the standard dust cover and deflector.

I still want to change the el cheapo Aliexpress handguard to something better, a 12" or 13" Midwest Gen 2 or 3. Or possibly the Aero with the BAR barrel nut.

It's not as cheap to run as I hoped, as its preferred CCI 'Suppressor' 40gn subs are one of the more expensive .22 brands.
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by Title_II » 01 Mar 2017, 6:11 am

All .22 is expensive in these States now. Obviously some more so. It's a crying shame. Is nothing sacred?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles