cleaning ruger american rimfire

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

cleaning ruger american rimfire

Post by Robbie1007 » 14 Mar 2017, 1:22 pm

need some adive on cleaning my ruger 22 just went to the shop to try and find a boreguide to use but either they dont fit or they get jammed on a metal fin right in line with the chamber so should i just clean it with the one piece cleaning rod i got or will it damage the barrel without a bore guide? thanks in advance!
Robbie1007
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: cleaning ruger american rimfire

Post by bladeracer » 14 Mar 2017, 4:05 pm

Robbie1007 wrote:need some adive on cleaning my ruger 22 just went to the shop to try and find a boreguide to use but either they dont fit or they get jammed on a metal fin right in line with the chamber so should i just clean it with the one piece cleaning rod i got or will it damage the barrel without a bore guide? thanks in advance!

On the Ruger American Rimfire the ejector is in the stock. If you pull the action out of the stock to clean the bore then it won't be in the way. I rarely clean the bore. My shot log is currently at 957 rounds since I last cleaned the bore and it's still shooting great.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Robbie1007 » 14 Mar 2017, 4:17 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Robbie1007 wrote:need some adive on cleaning my ruger 22 just went to the shop to try and find a boreguide to use but either they dont fit or they get jammed on a metal fin right in line with the chamber so should i just clean it with the one piece cleaning rod i got or will it damage the barrel without a bore guide? thanks in advance!

On the Ruger American Rimfire the ejector is in the stock. If you pull the action out of the stock to clean the bore then it won't be in the way. I rarely clean the bore. My shot log is currently at 957 rounds since I last cleaned the bore and it's still shooting great.

alright thanks for the reply mate u rekon i should still oil after eash session?
Robbie1007
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Mar 2017, 5:35 pm

Robbie1007 wrote: alright thanks for the reply mate u rekon i should still oil after eash session?

Not the bore. I generally just wipe gun grease over all the metal surfaces to prevent rust. Pull the bolt and wipe off any crud, then lightly smear grease all over it plus a small dab on the back of the bolt lugs and the striker sear engagement point.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harper » 16 Mar 2017, 1:21 pm

Personally I wouldn't bother with a guide.

Just get a 1 piece coated cleaning rod and it will be fine.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Robbie1007 » 17 Mar 2017, 7:40 pm

Harper wrote:Personally I wouldn't bother with a guide.

Just get a 1 piece coated cleaning rod and it will be fine.

ye i got one of the hoppes one piece stainless steel cleaning rods so hopefully that goes allrightt
Robbie1007
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles