new shooter .22

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: new shooter .22

Post by in2anity » 15 Mar 2017, 10:37 am

Don't overthink it - just get a 22lr, you won't regret it. Centerfires come later. Try and get an accurate one while your at it - means you can properly varmint with it without worrying about missing. You'll shoot more ammo through your 22 than any other rifle - so try not to skimp on it as much as possible. And don't waste your time on cheap glass - that's a mistake in the long run.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 15 Mar 2017, 10:57 am

For your budget I would be looking at the Savage with a Vortex Diamondback scope.
If it was for hunting I'd go a fixed 4x or a 2-7x, as suggested above. However, as you are looking mostly range shooting, the extra mag of a 4-12x40 would be more suitable.
If you can stretch your budget for a lifetime quality outfit, I'd go a Lithgow 101 with a Ziess HD5 3-15x. I know that's not what you asked but options are good. A rig like that would come in around $1500 or a bit more.

Another nice little cheaper option is the Zastava. The machining is pretty rough but you can sort them out to be nice little shooters. A mate bought one and after an afternoon of tinkering it came out a treat.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 15 Mar 2017, 11:26 am

Gwion wrote:If you can stretch your budget for a lifetime quality outfit, I'd go a Lithgow 101 with a Ziess HD5 3-15x. I know that's not what you asked but options are good. A rig like that would come in around $1500 or a bit more.

Did you mean $2500+?
The scope is over a grand to start with.

I'd go with the Ruger American Rimfire Compact and a Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18x40.
If you can find a good deal on the rifle you'll be shooting for well under a grand, with plenty of money to spend on ammo.
You can get the Ruger for $495 currently. The scope is $230. The Lithgow 101 is $850 currently.
The American Rimfire Target is still a way off. Nioa hasn't been able to offer even a guess at when I might expect mine.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 15 Mar 2017, 11:28 am

Archie wrote:But I slightly disagree with juststarting on this. For what its worth I have a .22 with a 2-7 which seems about perfect magnification for that and it spends more time close to 2 than 7. I have a 223 with a 4-12 and in retrospect I think its probably too much magnification for that rifle - or at least unnecessary and I probably should have gone 3-9.

Did I not just say that? Low magnification = wider viewing angle = good for shooting furry things. Bench rest is a different beast.

Also, I've started on a 308... Works fine... :) I guess I am not easily scared by loud noises ROFL ya wimp :p
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 15 Mar 2017, 11:30 am

Die Judicii wrote:
juststarting wrote:I am sure you'll get a lot of good advice on rifles [i](I mean, if it was me, I'd go with a .308 rather than .22. It's only 2.3mm wider, I mean it's nothing really. But so much more fun)[/

Some good advice there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "cup cakes"
Hee, Hee, :lol:

Cute. Very cute. :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Ausmade » 15 Mar 2017, 11:57 am

You don't have to buy new either. You can pick up some great bargains from as good as new to an oldie but a goodie!! My beaten up old Lithgow model 12, which left the factory in 1952, will put 5 shots into 1" at 50 metres all day with most high velocity ammo. It cost me $300.00 with the scope. Same deal with my old Sportco model 15 too only it cost me $200.00. The beauty of a 2nd hand one is that you don't usuall get too upset if you ding the stock, or scratch the barrel. Good luck which ever way you go.
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 15 Mar 2017, 12:05 pm

I'd offer to sell my Sportco but not sure if I can part with it!

BladeR, I was looking at the HD5 from the states a year or so ago for around $700 landed. Might have gone up and yes, they are very expensive here in Aus!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by TheGreenwolf » 15 Mar 2017, 12:08 pm

yep yep, so this is my thinking its like a first car, i don't want super expensive.

but at the same time it wont be my last car....er gun....so i don't want to spend too much now so that i can spend more later on!

but yes scope might be an area to spend more money on cause it will be able to be reused elsewhere.

all of that aside, is there anything scope, bipod, rifle that i should avoid like a justin beiber concert, bubonic plaugue or any other similar grade of calamity.
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Wylie27 » 15 Mar 2017, 12:12 pm

You will get dogs and gold in call categories.... I would say avoid norinco, but others will say buy it. Harris bipods are good, I also have the hyskor one on my wife's rifle and it's good too.

Sabre scopes..... avoid them lol
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Mar 2017, 12:13 pm

TheGreenwolf wrote:yep yep, so this is my thinking its like a first car, i don't want super expensive.

but at the same time it wont be my last car....er gun....so i don't want to spend too much now so that i can spend more later on!

but yes scope might be an area to spend more money on cause it will be able to be reused elsewhere.

all of that aside, is there anything scope, bipod, rifle that i should avoid like a justin beiber concert, bubonic plaugue or any other similar grade of calamity.

I wouldn't bother with the cheaper Chinese scopes - they tend to have poor glass. They'll probably do the job okay under ideal conditions, but much better glass is not that expensive.
I have six of the Bushnell AR's now and can't fault them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Mar 2017, 12:14 pm

Wylie27 wrote:You will get dogs and gold in call categories.... I would say avoid norinco, but others will say buy it. Harris bipods are good, I also have the hyskor one on my wife's rifle and it's good too.

I actually prefer the cheap $40 Chinese bipods over my $100+ Harris.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 15 Mar 2017, 12:56 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Wylie27 wrote:You will get dogs and gold in call categories.... I would say avoid norinco, but others will say buy it. Harris bipods are good, I also have the hyskor one on my wife's rifle and it's good too.

I actually prefer the cheap $40 Chinese bipods over my $100+ Harris.

Same here. The $40 one from eBay is on 308 and it's a beast, can't fault it at all.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Archie » 15 Mar 2017, 1:38 pm

juststarting wrote:
Archie wrote:But I slightly disagree with juststarting on this. For what its worth I have a .22 with a 2-7 which seems about perfect magnification for that and it spends more time close to 2 than 7. I have a 223 with a 4-12 and in retrospect I think its probably too much magnification for that rifle - or at least unnecessary and I probably should have gone 3-9.

Did I not just say that? Low magnification = wider viewing angle = good for shooting furry things. Bench rest is a different beast.

Also, I've started on a 308... Works fine... :) I guess I am not easily scared by loud noises ROFL ya wimp :p

You're right, you did - my bad - I made the stupid mistake of scanning the beginning while distracted and not really reading. And don't worry, I'm well over the loud noises now. Still waiting on the PTA approval for the 155mm though.
Last edited by Archie on 15 Mar 2017, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 15 Mar 2017, 1:41 pm

Canon would be awesome to own.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 15 Mar 2017, 1:45 pm

I have owned canon printers.. now a cannon would be awesome.. a canon sucked..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by TheGreenwolf » 15 Mar 2017, 2:17 pm

lol wylie,

what i really want is a bofors 40mm mounted on a tank chassis but sadly that wont happen.
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by Gun-nut » 15 Mar 2017, 2:33 pm

While not a 155mm Howitzer, the .303 jungle carbine was the firearm that I started off on...and it was absolute FUN. Still my favourite rifle to this day. Moving from that to the humble .22 made the .22 seem like a toy. Still extremely fun however, and I can tell ya that .22 ammo is wayyyy cheaper than .303.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 15 Mar 2017, 2:48 pm

First rifle I ever shot was a 303 I was 11 years old.. followed by a air rifle...
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 15 Mar 2017, 3:13 pm

All I want is diplomatic immunity. The rest will sort itself out ;)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by TheGreenwolf » 15 Mar 2017, 3:37 pm

juststarting wrote:All I want is diplomatic immunity. The rest will sort itself out ;)

hehe
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by Lokvo » 15 Mar 2017, 3:39 pm

Being a recent adult newbie myself, the general sentiment of starting with .22 over going a big centrefire right off the bat is absolutely sound knowledge. My real world experience of this being the case is; went to the local range prior to ever owning a firearm, couple older blokes let me shoot their .223, .243, .308's and while the big bang so to speak was exciting, after a very short while I started flinching anticipating the kick and the resulting shots would suck. Every subsequent shot taken was laborious/painful and mentally taxing, I wasn't enjoying it anymore. Eventually got my first .22 rifles, shot them endlessly, for about 6 months or so and just recently got a .223. and lo and behold, while the recoil was much more substantial than .22 it wasn't that bad and literally within than afternoon if not the following week at the range, I didn't even notice the recoil anymore, so I think gradual increase in calibers is recommended, only exception is that your frame/build is an absolute beast of a man and you're recoil impervious.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 15 Mar 2017, 3:44 pm

Actually, I think it works the other way, Lokvo. Sort of like boxing, you move with the punch and lose some energy that way or you don't and all energy is transferred to you. Being small/lite is actually better for felt recoil or anything else that smakcs you with kinetic energy.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Mar 2017, 7:59 pm

juststarting wrote:Actually, I think it works the other way, Lokvo. Sort of like boxing, you move with the punch and lose some energy that way or you don't and all energy is transferred to you. Being small/lite is actually better for felt recoil or anything else that smakcs you with kinetic energy.

100% correct
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Mar 2017, 8:18 pm

TheGreenwolf wrote:great good advice here.

thanks for that.

1 question - do you think i would be able to skip the .22 and go strait for a .223 or would the licencing mob not let me do such a thing? i am guessing the kickback on a .223 would be somewhat less than .308

it is my plan to learn and that is the purpose here, but the .22 has no kick at all and i would like a little kickback.

hoping to have a .303 one day and eventually .308...but dont want to break my shoulder just yet.

ill take the advice on the scope, for .22 9-12 as you say the .22 cant shoot that far.

i did see some cheap cz's around, don't mind revisiting the price for a scope, get the rifle first scope later that would be fine. at this stage just want to start on the range, if i am not hitting super accurate that is ok got to walk before i run right?

.223 is Cat B so as long as you apply for a Cat A/B licence you can buy just about any rifle or shotgun you're likely to see for sale in Oz. Cat A licence only lets you use rimfires and shotguns.
Recoil of the .223 is significantly less than the .308. .303 can be even worse than .308, although that's more due to the design of the stock than the cartridge.
.22LR is good fun out to about 200m, but much further than that and you're really just walking the shots onto the target like a mortar.
Starting your shooting with open sights is never a bad thing.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 15 Mar 2017, 8:51 pm

On glass on a .22lr...I am happy with my Vortex crossfire II rimfire 2-7. For the money you wont go wrong.
Bigjobss

Post by Bent Arrow » 15 Mar 2017, 9:23 pm

"Flinching" is not all about recoil anticipation. I have seen people develop a "flinch" shooting compound bows with mechanical releases. Plays merry hell with their accuracy
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Lokvo » 15 Mar 2017, 10:54 pm

juststarting wrote:Actually, I think it works the other way, Lokvo. Sort of like boxing, you move with the punch and lose some energy that way or you don't and all energy is transferred to you. Being small/lite is actually better for felt recoil or anything else that smakcs you with kinetic energy.

Makes sense 'juststarting' mate. My comment was more or less tongue in cheek a little bit, I say that because I witnessed a big ole bloke for real say ouch shooting a .223 :lol:
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 15 Mar 2017, 11:13 pm

Yeah, felt recoil is weird that way.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 15 Mar 2017, 11:27 pm

Try a .416 Rigby.But if a Big ass angry Buffalo is 30 ft and closing you wont notice the recoil till the shaking stops
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 15 Mar 2017, 11:31 pm

On recoil.Lying down releasing 168gn sierra matchkings out of the 7mm rem mag starts to hurt but 100gn pills sitting at a table is similar to .243 and can be done all day.shame they wont go 1000yds accurately
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles