new shooter .22

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: new shooter .22

Post by Gwion » 16 Mar 2017, 2:00 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Gamerancher wrote:These are a lifetime rifle.

What exactly is a "lifetime rifle"?
I've never bought any firearm I didn't intend to keep forever.

One that you won't feel the need to upgrade as skills or interest increase. One that is built to last and not knocked out as the lowest possible cost causing parts to wear out too soon...

etc
etc
You get the drift.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 16 Mar 2017, 2:31 pm

Gwion wrote:One that you won't feel the need to upgrade as skills or interest increase. One that is built to last and not knocked out as the lowest possible cost causing parts to wear out too soon...

etc
etc
You get the drift.

That's why I love my Rugers, all the quality without the price :-)
Last edited by bladeracer on 16 Mar 2017, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 16 Mar 2017, 2:41 pm

Neh... Ruger schmuger... :P
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 16 Mar 2017, 2:56 pm

Gwion wrote:Neh... Ruger schmuger... :P

.22LR, .243, 7mm-08, .204 Ruger Americans.
Just waiting on the Rimfire Target to show up eventually!
Attachments
140320172098.jpg
140320172098.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 6200 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 16 Mar 2017, 3:00 pm

You couldn't pay me to own one! :P :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 16 Mar 2017, 3:02 pm

Gwion wrote:You couldn't pay me to own one! :P :drinks:

I'm okay with that, leaves more for me ;-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Mar 2017, 3:05 pm

So you basically buy them for a barreled action, then spend a bunch of coin customizing?
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Mar 2017, 3:12 pm

Gamerancher wrote:So you basically buy them for a barreled action, then spend a bunch of coin customizing?

Nope, I buy them because they're a terrific rifle.
The MDT's are a recent fad, and not exactly a bunch of coin.
I thought I'd try one as a core to build a bullpup around, tried it and loved it. More accurate, more comfortable, gets rid of the rotary mags. I'll have to pick up two more chassis to complete the set though.
I also don't consider anything "custom" about bolting stuff on, custom is making stuff one-off.
Attachments
270420161354.gif
270420161354.gif (808.1 KiB) Viewed 5374 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Mar 2017, 3:25 pm

Customizing is changing from original form to one of your choosing. Then there is the degree to which you customize something. Just because it's cheap, bolt on stuff don't mean you haven't customized them. Not my cup of tea, but if that's what floats your boat, good luck to you. Wasn't passing judgement on the Ruger either way mate. Just making an observation.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Mar 2017, 3:33 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Customizing is changing from original form to one of your choosing. Then there is the degree to which you customize something. Just because it's cheap, bolt on stuff don't mean you haven't customized them. Not my cup of tea, but if that's what floats your boat, good luck to you. Wasn't passing judgement on the Ruger either way mate. Just making an observation.

If you'd asked me about the chassis last year I would've agreed with you, not my cup of tea either.
I picked one up to build a bullpup around similar to my scratch-built chassis, but while it was sitting here I thought I should at least try it before hacking it up.
I doubt many people could pass any legitimate negative judgement on the Ruger American, except perhaps on the mags :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Mar 2017, 3:39 pm

Seeing that my preference is for timber stocks and for the competition shooting I do that type of stock is out of spec, I don't see one in my future. I've handled and shot bolt rifles in that type of "chassis" as well as AR's and yeah,nah, not for me.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by TheGreenwolf » 16 Mar 2017, 9:20 pm

love the look of your guns blade
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by duncan61 » 16 Mar 2017, 11:50 pm

20170316_214518[1].jpg
20170316_214518[1].jpg (523.84 KiB) Viewed 5212 times
Great photo blade.That mag hanging out the bottom would be a roo shooters nightmare but if you wish to have them like that onya.My first centre fire was a .222 ruger with a S/S 22 inch barrel and it still shoots all in the same hole at 100m now I have changed the 6x40 nighteater scope to this great big F Off scope I was given I can actually see the holes appear in the paper
Attachments
20170316_214504[1].jpg
20170316_214504[1].jpg (559.23 KiB) Viewed 5212 times
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 17 Mar 2017, 1:29 am

I am a fan of the 22 LR, Long Rifle, cartridge. It is the perfect round to learn on, rifle or handgun, and is a great round for just spending time at the range. I have over 30 rimfires, two 22 mags and one 17HMR, the rest are 22 LR and are in both rifle and handgun forms. Looking over the list I have noticed that only one of them has a synthetic stock, that is my Marlin Model 60 semi-auto, I guess I shouldn't be that surprised since I've been getting them for over 40 years, and a fair number of the guns, not just the 22s, are inherited. I will state up front I like the looks and feel of wood but I do have several rifles with synthetic stocks, this includes a Ruger 556, but all that is neither here, nor, there.

I do not own a Ruger American 22, yet, but when I do add one it will be one of those with synthetic stock. I have looked the Ruger over in gun shops and find it to be a nice feeling gun and reviews have been favorable too. When it comes to scopes, well I fear I tend to stay away from high dollar scopes on my 22s. My $20US to $40US scopes seem to be good enough for me.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by in2anity » 17 Mar 2017, 7:56 am

Getting back to OP, my motto; buy once, cry once.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Mar 2017, 11:11 am

Gamerancher wrote:Seeing that my preference is for timber stocks and for the competition shooting I do that type of stock is out of spec, I don't see one in my future. I've handled and shot bolt rifles in that type of "chassis" as well as AR's and yeah,nah, not for me.

I have owned timber stocks. I'm a carpenter and can certainly appreciate the aesthetics of timber, but I don't want it on my firearms when polymer and aluminium do a much better job. I don't buy any firearms for their aesthetics.
My MDT's are not legal in NSW, ACT or WA due to the collapsible stocks.
My brother is wanting one in ACT so I need to find out if a fixed M16 stock or a pinned-in-place-M4 stock is acceptable up there.
I've shot the M16 and a mate owned a beautiful .223 SAR (made in Australia!) and I've handled the F88 - I definitely prefer the AR15 ergonomically.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Mar 2017, 11:23 am

in2anity wrote:Getting back to OP, my motto; buy once, cry once.

Also known as "pays heaps, cry every time you scratch it!" ;-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Mar 2017, 12:18 pm

Or, you could just look after your gear? :D
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 17 Mar 2017, 12:33 pm

Yeah must admit, with my nice walnut rifles, I don't really use them outside the range, and when it rains, that's the end of the day for me. I meticulously spit and polish those girls after every shoot.

My old marlin though - that's my truck gun - I've actually altered that gun quite a bit, and scratched the blueing in the process, its a bit of a monster these days, so I really don't mind if it gets knocked around anymore. That's what I take out into the field with me - it gets the job done.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Mar 2017, 12:40 pm

I hunted with my Tikka M55 .222 for years and carried it for many,many miles without a scratch. Wore all of the blueing off the metal on the bottom of the rifle but never marked the timber. Made the mistake of loaning to a mate. He went ass-over-head within the first 1/2 hour of a hunt and broke his fall with my rifle. First and last time. :evil:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 17 Mar 2017, 1:56 pm

Gamerancher wrote:I hunted with my Tikka M55 .222 for years and carried it for many,many miles without a scratch. Wore all of the blueing off the metal on the bottom of the rifle but never marked the timber. Made the mistake of loaning to a mate. He went ass-over-head within the first 1/2 hour of a hunt and broke his fall with my rifle. First and last time. :evil:

Don't have a gun story, but I once left my pet axolotl "Manuel" with my mate when I had to go away and it died :'( some mate he was...
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Mar 2017, 2:13 pm

in2anity wrote:Yeah must admit, with my nice walnut rifles, I don't really use them outside the range, and when it rains, that's the end of the day for me. I meticulously spit and polish those girls after every shoot.

My old marlin though - that's my truck gun - I've actually altered that gun quite a bit, and scratched the blueing in the process, its a bit of a monster these days, so I really don't mind if it gets knocked around anymore. That's what I take out into the field with me - it gets the job done.

I don't shoot at ranges, all my shooting is in the field, often in bloody rain too.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Mar 2017, 3:36 pm

TheGreenwolf wrote:love the look of your guns blade

I just love the way they shoot :-)
My brother is in Canberra, he's just bought an Anschutz Model 64 Silhouette Rifle that he should pick up in a couple weeks. Hopefully he'll bring it down soon so I can have a play with it :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Mar 2017, 7:04 pm

Tell him to get to the SSAA range at Majura first Saturday of the month and have a crack at silhouette.
Last edited by Gamerancher on 21 Mar 2017, 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Mar 2017, 7:37 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Tell him to get to the SSAA range at Majura fist Saturday of the month and have a crack at silhouette.

I think that's his intention :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Mar 2017, 7:53 pm

I'm unable to shoot at the moment due to surgery, but I was thinking of going over there to catch up with mates. I could give him any assistance he needed, be his spotter etc.
Next shoot will be 1st of April, no joke! :lol:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles