new shooter .22

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: new shooter .22

Post by in2anity » 17 Mar 2017, 12:33 pm

Yeah must admit, with my nice walnut rifles, I don't really use them outside the range, and when it rains, that's the end of the day for me. I meticulously spit and polish those girls after every shoot.

My old marlin though - that's my truck gun - I've actually altered that gun quite a bit, and scratched the blueing in the process, its a bit of a monster these days, so I really don't mind if it gets knocked around anymore. That's what I take out into the field with me - it gets the job done.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Mar 2017, 12:40 pm

I hunted with my Tikka M55 .222 for years and carried it for many,many miles without a scratch. Wore all of the blueing off the metal on the bottom of the rifle but never marked the timber. Made the mistake of loaning to a mate. He went ass-over-head within the first 1/2 hour of a hunt and broke his fall with my rifle. First and last time. :evil:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 17 Mar 2017, 1:56 pm

Gamerancher wrote:I hunted with my Tikka M55 .222 for years and carried it for many,many miles without a scratch. Wore all of the blueing off the metal on the bottom of the rifle but never marked the timber. Made the mistake of loaning to a mate. He went ass-over-head within the first 1/2 hour of a hunt and broke his fall with my rifle. First and last time. :evil:

Don't have a gun story, but I once left my pet axolotl "Manuel" with my mate when I had to go away and it died :'( some mate he was...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Mar 2017, 2:13 pm

in2anity wrote:Yeah must admit, with my nice walnut rifles, I don't really use them outside the range, and when it rains, that's the end of the day for me. I meticulously spit and polish those girls after every shoot.

My old marlin though - that's my truck gun - I've actually altered that gun quite a bit, and scratched the blueing in the process, its a bit of a monster these days, so I really don't mind if it gets knocked around anymore. That's what I take out into the field with me - it gets the job done.

I don't shoot at ranges, all my shooting is in the field, often in bloody rain too.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Mar 2017, 3:36 pm

TheGreenwolf wrote:love the look of your guns blade

I just love the way they shoot :-)
My brother is in Canberra, he's just bought an Anschutz Model 64 Silhouette Rifle that he should pick up in a couple weeks. Hopefully he'll bring it down soon so I can have a play with it :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Mar 2017, 7:04 pm

Tell him to get to the SSAA range at Majura first Saturday of the month and have a crack at silhouette.
Last edited by Gamerancher on 21 Mar 2017, 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Mar 2017, 7:37 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Tell him to get to the SSAA range at Majura fist Saturday of the month and have a crack at silhouette.

I think that's his intention :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Mar 2017, 7:53 pm

I'm unable to shoot at the moment due to surgery, but I was thinking of going over there to catch up with mates. I could give him any assistance he needed, be his spotter etc.
Next shoot will be 1st of April, no joke! :lol:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles