new shooter .22

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

new shooter .22

Post by TheGreenwolf » 14 Mar 2017, 6:46 pm

Hi there,

i am sure this has been asked a thousand times, and i know thats annoying but....

im new to shooting and looking for a .22

ideally what i would like is something with the following charactaristics

.22lr (they seem to be more the style i am after, however...is the ammunition the same??)
something that has or can be fitted with a scope - also advice on scope brand/type appreciated.
something that has or can be fitted with a bipod.
prefer plastic stock, i just like the look of it more for this type of thing.

budget...i would like to aim for 300-600 preferably on the 300 side :crazy:

can anyone suggest....brand...places to shop, etc...i know i can get some things from SSAA and gunsales australia.

so far i like the look of the some of the mossbergs, savage and ruger. and i have heard the anzhulz is the beez neez but you pay for it.
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Re: new shooter .22

Post by Gun-nut » 14 Mar 2017, 8:36 pm

For your price range, I would suggest the ruger american rimfire. I absolutely adore mine as its absolutely fun to shoot and quite accurate too. However you haven't specified what you'll be using this rifle for (hunting, plinking, target shooting etc.) and if you want more help you'll need to give us more information in regards to what you want this .22 for.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wes » 14 Mar 2017, 8:37 pm

Hey wolf,

Answering your questions in order.

Generally when someone says "a 22" they are talking about a .22LR. There are a number of .22 calibre cartridges though, .22LR, .22 Win Mag, .22 Long, .22 Hornet etc. so it pays to be specific. If you're talking about .22LR say .22LR.

Basically any rifle should readily accept a scope. Advice depends on budget. Entry level Leupold is always a good option.

Look for any rifle with a sling stud on the front of the stock and you can fit a bipod. 99% hunting and sporter stocks will have one, only benchrest rifles would normally not.

Plastic (referred to as synthetic) or wood is personal preference. There will be plenty with synth though.

Honestly there is no point in a rail for a .22LR. Anything that comes with one you'll be paying way more than you need to just for the 'cool factor'.

Been a while since I've got shopping so not sure about price.

Anschutz are very well regarded, but a premium rifle. Mossbergs I don't know. Ruger make consistently reliable rifles, but aren't known for surgical precision. Savage is probably your best bet for accuracy at a decent price.

Hope that helps.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TheGreenwolf » 14 Mar 2017, 8:44 pm

oh right, yes, its just for target shooting, maybe for rabbits later on but i dont think that will be what im going for.
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 14 Mar 2017, 11:08 pm

I got myself a lithgow la101 synthetic stock put a vortex 4x12 diamond back i have found that it isnt fussy when it comes to ammo and the accuracy is extremely on point. Price range i think it cost around 1400 a bit pricy however it comes out to the range on most outings a good conversation starter and its Australian made. Have a look at Ozzie reviews he raved about it.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 14 Mar 2017, 11:54 pm

I am sure you'll get a lot of good advice on rifles (I mean, if it was me, I'd go with a .308 rather than .22. It's only 2.3mm wider, I mean it's nothing really. But so much more fun).

Assuming this is for you to have fun target shooting, sounds like it, then as far as the scopes go, .22 has it's range limitations, so the scope should be around 9 or 12 max magnification. You can always get more... But it's the right magnification for the caliber. 3-9x40 or 3-12x40 or 42. The larger the objective (that last number on the end) the better you get to see in poor light conditions. You said you are going to shoot paper and maybe rabbits, then your primary purpose is range, so objective is not that important (poor light, like you are under canopy and it's raining and it's cloudy and the sun is not fully up yet, that kind of poor light).

I'd also recommend Vortex. If not, then Nikon. Both are very well priced in that configuration. Vortex has life time warranty on pretty much anything that could happen to it (I think it even includes you destroying it). Just remember, you won't need more than 3-12 for a .22 and you will be just fine with 3-9. Under that, like 1-5 is okay, but not really for target shooting, more for hunting with wide viewing angles (i.e. 1- or 2-, they are also a lot more expensive). Anything over 3-9 or 3-12 - a sales person is trying to up-sell you something you don't need and won't use. Something else to consider, rings and mounts - you will need them (up to $100, over that makes no sense for .22).

Make sure to take a look through some, to know what to expect, they are not all the same.

Hope it helps, first scopes selection is daunting.

Also this:
http://myshootingjourney.com/2015/09/13 ... -selection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8PEHNsZFCA (part 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gDgxFx_8Zs (part 2)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Mar 2017, 1:21 am

juststarting wrote:I am sure you'll get a lot of good advice on rifles [i](I mean, if it was me, I'd go with a .308 rather than .22. It's only 2.3mm wider, I mean it's nothing really. But so much more fun)[/

Some good advice there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "cup cakes"
Hee, Hee, :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 15 Mar 2017, 6:39 am

Welcome!!

Mate .22lr, Ruger American Rimfire, or a Henry lever action!

Horsley Park gun shop had a deal a while ago for the Ruger and it was 595, rifle, scope and bag. I think they threw in 1000 rounds too..

They may do a package still.

See fella's I can talk to a newbie without scaring them off!
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 15 Mar 2017, 6:56 am

Lithgow kicks arse but it's $1000. Annies go for even more (but are top of the range). CZ a good compromise between cost and quality - still they start at around $600, but you might snap up a bargain somewhere. If you're gonna be punching paper, may I suggest getting something that's marketed as a semi-target / varmint / heavy barrel, otherwise you'll probably gonna be disappointed when you see other people's 22lrs clover-leafing all day long. Isn't there a Ruger target 22lr? Ruger American Target I think they're called? They go for $700-ish though. Then there's the Norinco JW-15 - those things are literally half the price of everything above, and can be quite accurate with a bit of bed tweaking; you could spend a little more on optics that way; buy good optics to reuse in the future and spend less on the rifle (with the expectation to replace the rifle once you gain confidence).

In my honest opinion though, if you want to have some fun at the range (and really hone those offhand skills) I'd think about getting a long-barrel 22lr that comes with decent factory iron sights (nice long sight radius makes using irons easier). Something like the CZ ZKM matches are very cool, and you don't need to buy optics this way either (so you could spend a little more on the rifle). I absolutely LOVE the CZ ZKM455 JAGUAR 22LR https://www.winchesteraustralia.com.au/ ... KM45522JAG

Then there's lever guns... :huh:
Last edited by in2anity on 15 Mar 2017, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 15 Mar 2017, 7:17 am

In2anity you can clover leaf all day long with the RAR, my wife has the compact version and it shoots sub moa all day long using cci ammo..

We have the compact model..

Our op has set a budget of 600 including glass.. there are rifles out there for that price with cheap scopes and if that's what they need to do to start shooting let's not scare them by highlighting more expensive rifles.

We all know it won't be their last rifle, .22 is the gateway drug..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 15 Mar 2017, 7:19 am

Wylie27 wrote:In2anity you can clover leaf all day long with the RAR, my wife has the compact version and it shoots sub moa all day long using cci ammo..

Nice Wy - well you certainly can't argue with that price! :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TheGreenwolf » 15 Mar 2017, 7:54 am

great good advice here.

thanks for that.

1 question - do you think i would be able to skip the .22 and go strait for a .223 or would the licencing mob not let me do such a thing? i am guessing the kickback on a .223 would be somewhat less than .308

it is my plan to learn and that is the purpose here, but the .22 has no kick at all and i would like a little kickback.

hoping to have a .303 one day and eventually .308...but dont want to break my shoulder just yet.

ill take the advice on the scope, for .22 9-12 as you say the .22 cant shoot that far.

i did see some cheap cz's around, don't mind revisiting the price for a scope, get the rifle first scope later that would be fine. at this stage just want to start on the range, if i am not hitting super accurate that is ok got to walk before i run right?
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by TheGreenwolf » 15 Mar 2017, 8:24 am

also...

you mentioned scope rings, are they a one size fits all kind of deal? or is there a million types of those.
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by juststarting » 15 Mar 2017, 8:26 am

You'll probably end up with both anyway. But like they say, buy cheap - pay twice. 223 and 22LR have different purpose. It's not a question of whether one is better than the other, but what do you want to do with it. Range - go for something heavy, and wooden because it's nice... Hunting, go for lighter barrel and composite stock because that's what it's made for... And they are very rugged. You are also looking at maybe 7c-9c per round vs 60c (at an absolute cheapest)+. Thats a pretty big difference. Doesn't seem like much, but it is once you start shooting. 223 is capable of a lot, so you could probably go up in scope for it too, you'll easily go into $1500 on 223 side. Consider what you want to do with it, then how often, be realistic, then decide on the calibre. Then go to a store and fondle a few to see what feels right.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 15 Mar 2017, 8:28 am

TheGreenwolf wrote:also...

you mentioned scope rings, are they a one size fits all kind of deal? or is there a million types of those.

Scope has a main tube... That tube has a diameter, generally 2 types. So by the scope first, so you know the tube diameter, then the rings.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by TheGreenwolf » 15 Mar 2017, 8:31 am

juststarting wrote:
TheGreenwolf wrote:also...

Scope has a main tube... That tube has a diameter, generally 2 types. So by the scope first, so you know the tube diameter, then the rings.

ok great thanks :)
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by superdave » 15 Mar 2017, 9:39 am

Gwolf,
the only thing I can add to the already good advice so far is to ask a question: do you have some friends or a shooting club you can go to and try out some 22's ? part of the learning is trying out stuff to figure what you like and what you don't.

Some rifles fit your body easily and some don't, by that I mean stocks vary in shape and so do faces, so not every .22 will be a good snug fit into your shoulder and face.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Archie » 15 Mar 2017, 9:47 am

Re starting w a .223 - as a relatively new (couple of years) shooter myself, I agree with everything said about getting a .22 first. No one in my family shoots, so I got a .243 first because I read up that it does most things you need in Australia other than big deer and buffaloes - and it was a mistake. I'm still grateful I didn't start with a .308 like I considered or I probably would have given up. So I listened to some guys at the range, I went back to shop and got a .22, got a lot better using it while not having to deal with any recoil, loud noises, and being able to throw buckets of bullets downrange cheaply. Also safer because you are not as nervous handling a smaller rifle when you are building up those basic skills. That made me a lot more confident when using the .243 and other rifles later. Now, there are a ton of guys who grew up learning on Dad's old .303 / .308 / 30-06 / 155m self-propelled howitzer when they were a kid, so it's perfectly doable to learn off a bigger calibre. But if you're just starting as an adult and you don't have many mates involved to give you pointers, do yourself a favour and get a .22lr before you get anything else. And you will get something else, probably a great many other somethings else, and one of those will almost certainly be a .223, but I bet you'll still enjoy shooting the .22lr as well. And you'll save a bucket at the start.

- On scopes... I don't do a lot of benchrest, I mainly do plinking, rabbits, foxes etc. But I slightly disagree with juststarting on this. For what its worth I have a .22 with a 2-7 which seems about perfect magnification for that and it spends more time close to 2 than 7. I have a 223 with a 4-12 and in retrospect I think its probably too much magnification for that rifle - or at least unnecessary and I probably should have gone 3-9. However, they are different applications, and there are people on this forum with a thousand times more experience on this than me so that's just my 2c.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 15 Mar 2017, 10:37 am

Don't overthink it - just get a 22lr, you won't regret it. Centerfires come later. Try and get an accurate one while your at it - means you can properly varmint with it without worrying about missing. You'll shoot more ammo through your 22 than any other rifle - so try not to skimp on it as much as possible. And don't waste your time on cheap glass - that's a mistake in the long run.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 15 Mar 2017, 10:57 am

For your budget I would be looking at the Savage with a Vortex Diamondback scope.
If it was for hunting I'd go a fixed 4x or a 2-7x, as suggested above. However, as you are looking mostly range shooting, the extra mag of a 4-12x40 would be more suitable.
If you can stretch your budget for a lifetime quality outfit, I'd go a Lithgow 101 with a Ziess HD5 3-15x. I know that's not what you asked but options are good. A rig like that would come in around $1500 or a bit more.

Another nice little cheaper option is the Zastava. The machining is pretty rough but you can sort them out to be nice little shooters. A mate bought one and after an afternoon of tinkering it came out a treat.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 15 Mar 2017, 11:26 am

Gwion wrote:If you can stretch your budget for a lifetime quality outfit, I'd go a Lithgow 101 with a Ziess HD5 3-15x. I know that's not what you asked but options are good. A rig like that would come in around $1500 or a bit more.

Did you mean $2500+?
The scope is over a grand to start with.

I'd go with the Ruger American Rimfire Compact and a Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18x40.
If you can find a good deal on the rifle you'll be shooting for well under a grand, with plenty of money to spend on ammo.
You can get the Ruger for $495 currently. The scope is $230. The Lithgow 101 is $850 currently.
The American Rimfire Target is still a way off. Nioa hasn't been able to offer even a guess at when I might expect mine.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 15 Mar 2017, 11:28 am

Archie wrote:But I slightly disagree with juststarting on this. For what its worth I have a .22 with a 2-7 which seems about perfect magnification for that and it spends more time close to 2 than 7. I have a 223 with a 4-12 and in retrospect I think its probably too much magnification for that rifle - or at least unnecessary and I probably should have gone 3-9.

Did I not just say that? Low magnification = wider viewing angle = good for shooting furry things. Bench rest is a different beast.

Also, I've started on a 308... Works fine... :) I guess I am not easily scared by loud noises ROFL ya wimp :p
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 15 Mar 2017, 11:30 am

Die Judicii wrote:
juststarting wrote:I am sure you'll get a lot of good advice on rifles [i](I mean, if it was me, I'd go with a .308 rather than .22. It's only 2.3mm wider, I mean it's nothing really. But so much more fun)[/

Some good advice there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "cup cakes"
Hee, Hee, :lol:

Cute. Very cute. :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Ausmade » 15 Mar 2017, 11:57 am

You don't have to buy new either. You can pick up some great bargains from as good as new to an oldie but a goodie!! My beaten up old Lithgow model 12, which left the factory in 1952, will put 5 shots into 1" at 50 metres all day with most high velocity ammo. It cost me $300.00 with the scope. Same deal with my old Sportco model 15 too only it cost me $200.00. The beauty of a 2nd hand one is that you don't usuall get too upset if you ding the stock, or scratch the barrel. Good luck which ever way you go.
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 15 Mar 2017, 12:05 pm

I'd offer to sell my Sportco but not sure if I can part with it!

BladeR, I was looking at the HD5 from the states a year or so ago for around $700 landed. Might have gone up and yes, they are very expensive here in Aus!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by TheGreenwolf » 15 Mar 2017, 12:08 pm

yep yep, so this is my thinking its like a first car, i don't want super expensive.

but at the same time it wont be my last car....er gun....so i don't want to spend too much now so that i can spend more later on!

but yes scope might be an area to spend more money on cause it will be able to be reused elsewhere.

all of that aside, is there anything scope, bipod, rifle that i should avoid like a justin beiber concert, bubonic plaugue or any other similar grade of calamity.
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by Wylie27 » 15 Mar 2017, 12:12 pm

You will get dogs and gold in call categories.... I would say avoid norinco, but others will say buy it. Harris bipods are good, I also have the hyskor one on my wife's rifle and it's good too.

Sabre scopes..... avoid them lol
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Mar 2017, 12:13 pm

TheGreenwolf wrote:yep yep, so this is my thinking its like a first car, i don't want super expensive.

but at the same time it wont be my last car....er gun....so i don't want to spend too much now so that i can spend more later on!

but yes scope might be an area to spend more money on cause it will be able to be reused elsewhere.

all of that aside, is there anything scope, bipod, rifle that i should avoid like a justin beiber concert, bubonic plaugue or any other similar grade of calamity.

I wouldn't bother with the cheaper Chinese scopes - they tend to have poor glass. They'll probably do the job okay under ideal conditions, but much better glass is not that expensive.
I have six of the Bushnell AR's now and can't fault them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Mar 2017, 12:14 pm

Wylie27 wrote:You will get dogs and gold in call categories.... I would say avoid norinco, but others will say buy it. Harris bipods are good, I also have the hyskor one on my wife's rifle and it's good too.

I actually prefer the cheap $40 Chinese bipods over my $100+ Harris.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 15 Mar 2017, 12:56 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Wylie27 wrote:You will get dogs and gold in call categories.... I would say avoid norinco, but others will say buy it. Harris bipods are good, I also have the hyskor one on my wife's rifle and it's good too.

I actually prefer the cheap $40 Chinese bipods over my $100+ Harris.

Same here. The $40 one from eBay is on 308 and it's a beast, can't fault it at all.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles