new shooter .22

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: new shooter .22

Post by juststarting » 15 Mar 2017, 3:13 pm

All I want is diplomatic immunity. The rest will sort itself out ;)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by TheGreenwolf » 15 Mar 2017, 3:37 pm

juststarting wrote:All I want is diplomatic immunity. The rest will sort itself out ;)

hehe
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Lokvo » 15 Mar 2017, 3:39 pm

Being a recent adult newbie myself, the general sentiment of starting with .22 over going a big centrefire right off the bat is absolutely sound knowledge. My real world experience of this being the case is; went to the local range prior to ever owning a firearm, couple older blokes let me shoot their .223, .243, .308's and while the big bang so to speak was exciting, after a very short while I started flinching anticipating the kick and the resulting shots would suck. Every subsequent shot taken was laborious/painful and mentally taxing, I wasn't enjoying it anymore. Eventually got my first .22 rifles, shot them endlessly, for about 6 months or so and just recently got a .223. and lo and behold, while the recoil was much more substantial than .22 it wasn't that bad and literally within than afternoon if not the following week at the range, I didn't even notice the recoil anymore, so I think gradual increase in calibers is recommended, only exception is that your frame/build is an absolute beast of a man and you're recoil impervious.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 15 Mar 2017, 3:44 pm

Actually, I think it works the other way, Lokvo. Sort of like boxing, you move with the punch and lose some energy that way or you don't and all energy is transferred to you. Being small/lite is actually better for felt recoil or anything else that smakcs you with kinetic energy.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Mar 2017, 7:59 pm

juststarting wrote:Actually, I think it works the other way, Lokvo. Sort of like boxing, you move with the punch and lose some energy that way or you don't and all energy is transferred to you. Being small/lite is actually better for felt recoil or anything else that smakcs you with kinetic energy.

100% correct
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Mar 2017, 8:18 pm

TheGreenwolf wrote:great good advice here.

thanks for that.

1 question - do you think i would be able to skip the .22 and go strait for a .223 or would the licencing mob not let me do such a thing? i am guessing the kickback on a .223 would be somewhat less than .308

it is my plan to learn and that is the purpose here, but the .22 has no kick at all and i would like a little kickback.

hoping to have a .303 one day and eventually .308...but dont want to break my shoulder just yet.

ill take the advice on the scope, for .22 9-12 as you say the .22 cant shoot that far.

i did see some cheap cz's around, don't mind revisiting the price for a scope, get the rifle first scope later that would be fine. at this stage just want to start on the range, if i am not hitting super accurate that is ok got to walk before i run right?

.223 is Cat B so as long as you apply for a Cat A/B licence you can buy just about any rifle or shotgun you're likely to see for sale in Oz. Cat A licence only lets you use rimfires and shotguns.
Recoil of the .223 is significantly less than the .308. .303 can be even worse than .308, although that's more due to the design of the stock than the cartridge.
.22LR is good fun out to about 200m, but much further than that and you're really just walking the shots onto the target like a mortar.
Starting your shooting with open sights is never a bad thing.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 15 Mar 2017, 8:51 pm

On glass on a .22lr...I am happy with my Vortex crossfire II rimfire 2-7. For the money you wont go wrong.
Bigjobss

Post by Bent Arrow » 15 Mar 2017, 9:23 pm

"Flinching" is not all about recoil anticipation. I have seen people develop a "flinch" shooting compound bows with mechanical releases. Plays merry hell with their accuracy
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Lokvo » 15 Mar 2017, 10:54 pm

juststarting wrote:Actually, I think it works the other way, Lokvo. Sort of like boxing, you move with the punch and lose some energy that way or you don't and all energy is transferred to you. Being small/lite is actually better for felt recoil or anything else that smakcs you with kinetic energy.

Makes sense 'juststarting' mate. My comment was more or less tongue in cheek a little bit, I say that because I witnessed a big ole bloke for real say ouch shooting a .223 :lol:
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 15 Mar 2017, 11:13 pm

Yeah, felt recoil is weird that way.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 15 Mar 2017, 11:27 pm

Try a .416 Rigby.But if a Big ass angry Buffalo is 30 ft and closing you wont notice the recoil till the shaking stops
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 15 Mar 2017, 11:31 pm

On recoil.Lying down releasing 168gn sierra matchkings out of the 7mm rem mag starts to hurt but 100gn pills sitting at a table is similar to .243 and can be done all day.shame they wont go 1000yds accurately
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 15 Mar 2017, 11:36 pm

Back on subject.I scored a very nice Winchester 5 shot mag .22LR for my buddies grandchildren for $350 and a Nighteater scope is around $120 in 6 x 40 fine crosshairs and I zeroed mine on my .222 and used it for 3 years pro shooting roos without it ever going out of zero
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Mar 2017, 9:29 am

TheGreenwolf, for the type of use you have stated I'd recommend you have a look at a used Brno #2 or a Cz ( same thing ) .22LR of coarse.. These can be had any day for around $5-700 mark, usually with a scope fitted.
These are a lifetime rifle. Great paddock rifle and there are plenty to be seen in various target shooting disciplines. They are well built, reliable and accurate.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 16 Mar 2017, 10:05 am

Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Mar 2017, 10:10 am

I may have one similar for sale, but that is not the reason for the recommendation.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by TheGreenwolf » 16 Mar 2017, 12:08 pm

yea i think my top 4 so far seem to be Remington, savage, cz, marlin. my dad has the marlin and really likes it.

and obviously if i find a cheap anshultz then i would be crazy to pass it up.
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by bladeracer » 16 Mar 2017, 1:51 pm

Gamerancher wrote:These are a lifetime rifle.

What exactly is a "lifetime rifle"?
I've never bought any firearm I didn't intend to keep forever.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 16 Mar 2017, 2:00 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Gamerancher wrote:These are a lifetime rifle.

What exactly is a "lifetime rifle"?
I've never bought any firearm I didn't intend to keep forever.

One that you won't feel the need to upgrade as skills or interest increase. One that is built to last and not knocked out as the lowest possible cost causing parts to wear out too soon...

etc
etc
You get the drift.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 16 Mar 2017, 2:31 pm

Gwion wrote:One that you won't feel the need to upgrade as skills or interest increase. One that is built to last and not knocked out as the lowest possible cost causing parts to wear out too soon...

etc
etc
You get the drift.

That's why I love my Rugers, all the quality without the price :-)
Last edited by bladeracer on 16 Mar 2017, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 16 Mar 2017, 2:41 pm

Neh... Ruger schmuger... :P
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 16 Mar 2017, 2:56 pm

Gwion wrote:Neh... Ruger schmuger... :P

.22LR, .243, 7mm-08, .204 Ruger Americans.
Just waiting on the Rimfire Target to show up eventually!
Attachments
140320172098.jpg
140320172098.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 6216 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 16 Mar 2017, 3:00 pm

You couldn't pay me to own one! :P :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 16 Mar 2017, 3:02 pm

Gwion wrote:You couldn't pay me to own one! :P :drinks:

I'm okay with that, leaves more for me ;-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Mar 2017, 3:05 pm

So you basically buy them for a barreled action, then spend a bunch of coin customizing?
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Mar 2017, 3:12 pm

Gamerancher wrote:So you basically buy them for a barreled action, then spend a bunch of coin customizing?

Nope, I buy them because they're a terrific rifle.
The MDT's are a recent fad, and not exactly a bunch of coin.
I thought I'd try one as a core to build a bullpup around, tried it and loved it. More accurate, more comfortable, gets rid of the rotary mags. I'll have to pick up two more chassis to complete the set though.
I also don't consider anything "custom" about bolting stuff on, custom is making stuff one-off.
Attachments
270420161354.gif
270420161354.gif (808.1 KiB) Viewed 5400 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Mar 2017, 3:25 pm

Customizing is changing from original form to one of your choosing. Then there is the degree to which you customize something. Just because it's cheap, bolt on stuff don't mean you haven't customized them. Not my cup of tea, but if that's what floats your boat, good luck to you. Wasn't passing judgement on the Ruger either way mate. Just making an observation.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Mar 2017, 3:33 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Customizing is changing from original form to one of your choosing. Then there is the degree to which you customize something. Just because it's cheap, bolt on stuff don't mean you haven't customized them. Not my cup of tea, but if that's what floats your boat, good luck to you. Wasn't passing judgement on the Ruger either way mate. Just making an observation.

If you'd asked me about the chassis last year I would've agreed with you, not my cup of tea either.
I picked one up to build a bullpup around similar to my scratch-built chassis, but while it was sitting here I thought I should at least try it before hacking it up.
I doubt many people could pass any legitimate negative judgement on the Ruger American, except perhaps on the mags :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Mar 2017, 3:39 pm

Seeing that my preference is for timber stocks and for the competition shooting I do that type of stock is out of spec, I don't see one in my future. I've handled and shot bolt rifles in that type of "chassis" as well as AR's and yeah,nah, not for me.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by TheGreenwolf » 16 Mar 2017, 9:20 pm

love the look of your guns blade
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

PreviousNext