Opinions of the crossman 1077 semi auto cat a air rifle

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Opinions of the crossman 1077 semi auto cat a air rifle

Post by Conallin24 » 16 Apr 2017, 6:29 pm

Hi guys, I was at my local store and saw one of these. Being semi auto I was surprised when I was told that it was cat A. I went home and looked at reviews and although most said that it was fun for targets most said that for animals it was insufficient. What do you think? I'd like to be able to take rabbits out to 30m birds like mynas out to 35m aswell as kill some cans. Any help would be appreciated. PS the price is nice most shops are giving them for only $200
Conallin24
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Opinions of the crossman 1077 semi auto cat a air rifle

Post by RoginaJack » 16 Apr 2017, 8:09 pm

Shooting cans, .177 is OK but for rabbits and Mynas I'd look for 22 cal.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 16 Apr 2017, 9:21 pm

A mate of mine had one, fun wears off pretty quick when the nuisance and expense of maintaining co2 canisters starts getting to you. Get a decent springer or gas ram rifle.
You only get about 30-50 shots with a canister. Being semi auto you will chew through that very quickly.

.177 is plenty for birds. Not reliable on rabbits.
.177 is better for target shooting.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 16 Apr 2017, 10:55 pm

Everyone I speak to says theyre a POS...a toy..... even the LS who had one on the racks.... he obviously didnt want to sell it to me :lol: I'm lookin for a good air gun, reasonably priced for birds n bunnies where i cant use the 22 or bigger....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Apr 2017, 11:58 pm

The 1077 is guaranteed to give you the excitement of the purchase, the anticipation of receiving your firearm and the disappointment of it's lousy performance with the added inconvenience of it needing to be treated as a real firearm... ie, locked up in a safe taking up valuable room where a perfectly good firearm could be sitting.

They are a cheep, plastic, poorly made toy.

I came very close to buying one but luckily a mate of mine got his first.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 17 Apr 2017, 12:07 am

If you want to shoot pigs look at this air rifle
Sam Yang Dragon Claw .50 cal Dual-Tank PCP Air Rifle
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Apr 2017, 7:30 am

Ok for plinking around camp for a bit of fun but cheap and nasty to be honest (had a Crossman Pneumatic BB gun as a kid and it killed fine but was cheap and nasty but still great fun for a kid to use, it's long gone now but the Weihrauch is still going strong.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Ben78 » 17 Apr 2017, 8:23 am

I had one, I mucked around with it a LOT, accurising etc. Got it to the point that at 10 metres I could put an entire mag into a single hole group. Accurate enough to hit coke cans out to 40m. I didn't rate it as enough grunt to shoot any living thing and expect to kill it - Mostly around 350-400fps with 8gn pellets. They aren't really semi auto, they are a double action revolver set up - and as such the trigger pull is long and heavy, not nice at all actually. "Muzzle Brake" is just tacticool, although the purpose was effective as it held the end of the inner barrel in a somewhat fixed position compared to the factory setup which didn't hold the barrel much at all. This is the biggest mod to increase accuracy - as well as crowning the end of the barrel and cleaning it up.

Also, you totally shouldn't do this, but a CO2 cannister dropped in a bucket of HOT water for a couple of minutes will give you a first round velocity of 1775fps approximately - which was good for a laugh... once.....

Ben78
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by huccl » 19 Apr 2017, 1:19 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:The 1077 is guaranteed to give you the excitement of the purchase, the anticipation of receiving your firearm and the disappointment of it's lousy performance

Ha ha.

Hopes raised and then dashed! :lol:
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 19 Apr 2017, 3:52 pm

It's a plinking rifle only.

Mine gets about 605fps with no mods. Not enough for pests but enough for tin cans.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Ausmade » 21 Apr 2017, 1:37 pm

I just sold mine, it really was only for plinking and getting kids interested in shooting. I certainly wouldn't use it on any pests really. I have a Daisy Powerline 901 (under $200) which I have used with excellent results on pest birds such as Starlings and Sparrows, but I wouldn't dare use it on anything larger than a Myna despite its surprising accuracy. You can vary its power by pumping it from 2x up to 10x depending on your surroundings.
For bunny killing power with Co2, start with the Walther 850 Air magnum 22 cal 10 shot (I think) rotary mag bolt action. I had one when they had them badged as Umarex and my longest rabbit kill was a head shot at around 50 metres. They are a lot more expensive new but I have seen them floating around used for about $500.00. You could also try the SPA CR600W Bolt Action as they are advertised as a hunting Co2 gun although I have no experience with them. They are under $400 new too apparently
But if you really want semi-auto bunny busting power, you probably have to start at the $1000+ mark and go with a PCP.

Aus.
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles