Ruger American Rimfire Target

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Ruger American Rimfire Target

Post by rsj223 » 13 Jul 2017, 5:07 pm

rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2017, 6:07 pm

It never ends!
I have Winchester Bushman, Laser 37.5gn and 26gn, as well as Geco Semi-Auto, Fiocchi Exacta Pistol and SK Rifle Match coming this week from Rebel Gun Works. I wanted to order 10kg of lead shot a few weeks ago and they wanted $45 to ship $94 worth of lead so I didn't bother. Then a member here told me that they charge a $60 fee for a dangerous goods ticket on ammo. So I ordered the lead shot plus 1050rds of rimfire ammo - for a $60 delivery fee! Only catch is somebody needs to be here to sign for it and they won't call ahead to warn me. Since I can't guarantee I'll be down the house when they arrive I'm picking it up from TNT in town. My usual store wanted $265 to ship the rimfire ammo, an EGW pic rail and 500 bullets - no lead shot. I asked them about shipping ammo - "Yes we can freight ammunition & primers but it can be quite expensive (around $150.00 for the first 10kgs depending on location) because of the dangerous goods surcharge.".

Just been shooting Highland Super Quiet and Target, as well as some more Eley Subsonic and Sport. It's drizzling and very cold so just a quick shoot.

First I shot a cold 5rd group of CCI SV at 50m out of the Target and the Compact for 17.5mm and 20mm respectively.

I shot the Highland Target out of both for best groups of 26.5mm and 19.5mm. The nineteenth round was a slow burn and dropped 45mm below the group. Although this stuff grouped fairly nicely in the Compact it was very poor out of the Target. Could be the rifles or the fact that the Target was cleaned 160rds ago and the Compact had 1500rds since I cleaned the bore. I don't know what speed they specify this stuff but it sounds supersonic to me.

The Highland Super Quiet was atrocious in both rifles with a best of 35.5mm. But it was a fluke as the rest were around the 80mm region.

Eley Sport was excellent as expected, shooting a best of 17mm and 16mm from the Target and Compact.

Eley Subsonic less so with best groups of 23mm and 28mm from both rifles.

I finished off with some groups of CCI SV to confirm zeros, and got a best of 18mm from the Compact.

Just trying to thaw out my feet in front of the fire now!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 13 Jul 2017, 6:12 pm

I did notice with the Browning ammo the "bullet" was loose it would wobble and turn the LGS said thats normal hmm
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2017, 6:21 pm

rsj223 wrote:I did notice with the Browning ammo the "bullet" was loose it would wobble and turn the LGS said thats normal hmm

Remington Cyclone is a very loose bullet as well. Doesn't seem to matter though. I use them when I want to shoot a jacketed bullet through a .22LR as you can pull the bullet by hand.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 16 Jul 2017, 10:33 pm

Not wanting to hijack your thread but thought you may like the following results, I think some got worse because I removed the stock to adjust the trigger (not much better with the screw almost out)
Ruger American Target.
Highland RX= 65.70mm
Highland HV=32.93mm
CCI Std=13.52mm
CCI Subs=76.40mm
CCI Velocitor=16.68mm
CCI Mini=37.53mm
Federal Target=56.41mm
Eley HV=28.34mm
Eley Sport=42.24mm
Win 42g=32.19mm
Win Subs=17.97mm
RWS Club=15.59mm
RWS Subs=38.91mm
RWS Match=29.49mm
Gecko=84.57mm
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jul 2017, 12:50 am

rsj223 wrote:Not wanting to hijack your thread but thought you may like the following results, I think some got worse because I removed the stock to adjust the trigger (not much better with the screw almost out)
Ruger American Target.
Highland RX= 65.70mm
Highland HV=32.93mm
CCI Std=13.52mm
CCI Subs=76.40mm
CCI Velocitor=16.68mm
CCI Mini=37.53mm
Federal Target=56.41mm
Eley HV=28.34mm
Eley Sport=42.24mm
Win 42g=32.19mm
Win Subs=17.97mm
RWS Club=15.59mm
RWS Subs=38.91mm
RWS Match=29.49mm
Gecko=84.57mm

Thanks for that.
Looks like you found similar results in the CCI SV and Velocitor.
I haven't messed with my triggers but I'm thinking about having a play with them to improve my offhand shooting.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 09 Aug 2017, 8:55 am

rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Aug 2017, 2:28 pm

I saw that :-)
They fail to tell us the range though.
Both my rifles can equal that or even better...at three meters range.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 09 Aug 2017, 7:17 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I saw that :-)
They fail to tell us the range though.
Both my rifles can equal that or even better...at three meters range.

Yep
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 24 Apr 2018, 7:23 pm

Took the Ruger Target out on the weekend tried some more ammo and found the Winchester Bushman shot 9 out of 10 on a 3 inch gong at 90 meters very happy with them.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Diesel » 01 May 2018, 12:03 pm

Milesy wrote:Savage Mk 11 22lr laminated Varmint
Got a barrel like a tank!
Regret not getting Ruger American as I have one in 223 and love it.

The Savage MK2 BV is one of the most accurate rifles out there, mine is on par with the SAKO's at the range, when the idiot behind the trigger isn't one of the variables and similar match ammo is used(green tag or eley in mine). I have a BV for the range and an FVSR for hunting, my daughter uses an FVSR for both.

All three consistantly group under 15mm at 50m with CCI standards which is great for SSAA field rifle and will shoot well with anything out there.

You shouldn't regret not getting a Ruger the Savages consistantly outshoot them, down here at least.
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by ClaytonT88 » 26 Aug 2018, 8:23 pm

What a comprehensive Ammo test, I'm starting to think the Ruger American Rimfire line is worth looking at as a first rifle. Cheers!
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 26 Aug 2018, 9:01 pm

ClaytonT88 wrote:What a comprehensive Ammo test, I'm starting to think the Ruger American Rimfire line is worth looking at as a first rifle. Cheers!

I've picked up some more I'll have to add to the test results.
Browning 40gn RN
Federal 724 31gn CPHP
Winchester Powerppoint 40gn CPHP
Winchester Subsonic 40gn HP
Winchester T22
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ClaytonT88 » 26 Aug 2018, 10:46 pm

Sweet as. Looking forward to it.
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 Aug 2018, 1:58 pm

ClaytonT88 wrote:Sweet as. Looking forward to it.

I put a few hundred rounds through both Rugers, the Henry (scoped) and the 7mm-08 the other day.
At 100m.
Lots of Sub-Moa 10rd groups with the CCI Std Vel.
The Browning stuff was closer to 2MoA at 100m, but does have an advantage of dropping directly above the CCI SV, about 50mm high.
The Henry managed some 2MoA groups but I would say 2.5MoA is more the norm at this stage. Some improvement though so it may get better yet.

My computer died on Friday so I've had to build a new one. I'm not sure if it'll let me access my hard drive that has my shooting log on it, I may have to start fresh.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ClaytonT88 » 27 Aug 2018, 4:09 pm

Oh no!
I'm looking forward to getting me licence and having a good day at my mates farm sighting in whatever I get. Your thread has really swayed me towards a Rimfire Target
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 Aug 2018, 4:50 pm

ClaytonT88 wrote:Oh no!
I'm looking forward to getting me licence and having a good day at my mates farm sighting in whatever I get. Your thread has really swayed me towards a Rimfire Target

There's a new model of the Target, and also the Ruger Precision Rimfire.
https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/specSheets/8360.html
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ClaytonT88 » 27 Aug 2018, 9:07 pm

Interesting looking gun, I'm not really a fan of the Tactical look and I think the laminate Target stock looks pretty good. Definitely one to go have a look and feel at when I get my licence and go shopping.
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 Aug 2018, 9:26 pm

ClaytonT88 wrote:Interesting looking gun, I'm not really a fan of the Tactical look and I think the laminate Target stock looks pretty good. Definitely one to go have a look and feel at when I get my licence and go shopping.

I wasn't big on the modern rifle design either until I tried it myself.
The ergonomics of modern pistol-grip chassis just make it easier to shoot well - in my opinion.
I bought a chassis for a bullpup project and thought I should at least try it before cutting it up.
Now I have seven of them :-)
I really dislike laminated stocks, they look and feel like plastic to me, but they're heavier :-)

Although I do think you're likely to shoot better with a modern chassis, I definitely think you'll find good shooting just easier.
Where abouts are you?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ClaytonT88 » 27 Aug 2018, 9:39 pm

Seven? Yowza!
I'm still fairly set on a LA101 if I get all my paperwork sorted before the T1X comes out but I like the idea of a cheap and cheerful 22LR to learn to shoot on. I guess with time I'll look at different stocks etc.
I'm in Crystal Brook, South Australia.
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 Aug 2018, 10:14 pm

ClaytonT88 wrote:Seven? Yowza!
I'm still fairly set on a LA101 if I get all my paperwork sorted before the T1X comes out but I like the idea of a cheap and cheerful 22LR to learn to shoot on. I guess with time I'll look at different stocks etc.
I'm in Crystal Brook, South Australia.

There are lots and lots of options for cheap .22's, don't rule out older secondhand ones, especially if you enjoy iron sights.
I have a 1951 BSA Sportsman 5 that shoots really well, but it has no provision for a scope so you would have to drill and tap it for that. My dealer has a nice Remington 541 I've been looking at a bit recently. It'd go nicely with my father-in-law's 1940 510 single-shot which I've put into a 513T US Army stock with 10rd magazine. Unfortunately the bore is shot to hell so I'm putting a Lithgow barrel on it.

Dropping the Rugers into chassis easily doubles the price, which makes the RPR a nice option, although it has a plastic chassis rather than aluminium. I may still buy one sometime anyway though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ClaytonT88 » 30 Aug 2018, 9:47 pm

Yeah thanks mate, definitely food for thought, my uncle has a model 1 brno that I'm leaning on to maybe part with as my first rifle but we'll see. I'm fairly set on a wooden stock but until I handle a few when I get my licence, I'll just have to dream....
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2018, 9:54 pm

ClaytonT88 wrote:Yeah thanks mate, definitely food for thought, my uncle has a model 1 brno that I'm leaning on to maybe part with as my first rifle but we'll see. I'm fairly set on a wooden stock but until I handle a few when I get my licence, I'll just have to dream....

The Model 1 and 2 are beautiful rifles, far too pretty to be taking out of the house ;-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ClaytonT88 » 30 Aug 2018, 10:08 pm

haha, yeah he's fairly reluctant so I think maybe a ruger american rimfire in the wood stock for my first rifle might be the go. the 455 varmint looks appealing too.
Don't want to hijack the thread either!
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by ClaytonT88 » 02 Sep 2018, 7:06 pm

Had a great day plinking with a mates old Stirling 22lr with iron sights. Happily getting 5/10 shots on a 5" but of plate at about 100 metres. It was a great day out, had a few shots of his new Winchester 783 in .308 that he is sighting in. That thing is in animal compared to the little 22lr.
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles