Ruger American Rimfire Target

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Ruger American Rimfire Target

Post by bladeracer » 27 Aug 2018, 9:26 pm

ClaytonT88 wrote:Interesting looking gun, I'm not really a fan of the Tactical look and I think the laminate Target stock looks pretty good. Definitely one to go have a look and feel at when I get my licence and go shopping.

I wasn't big on the modern rifle design either until I tried it myself.
The ergonomics of modern pistol-grip chassis just make it easier to shoot well - in my opinion.
I bought a chassis for a bullpup project and thought I should at least try it before cutting it up.
Now I have seven of them :-)
I really dislike laminated stocks, they look and feel like plastic to me, but they're heavier :-)

Although I do think you're likely to shoot better with a modern chassis, I definitely think you'll find good shooting just easier.
Where abouts are you?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ClaytonT88 » 27 Aug 2018, 9:39 pm

Seven? Yowza!
I'm still fairly set on a LA101 if I get all my paperwork sorted before the T1X comes out but I like the idea of a cheap and cheerful 22LR to learn to shoot on. I guess with time I'll look at different stocks etc.
I'm in Crystal Brook, South Australia.
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 Aug 2018, 10:14 pm

ClaytonT88 wrote:Seven? Yowza!
I'm still fairly set on a LA101 if I get all my paperwork sorted before the T1X comes out but I like the idea of a cheap and cheerful 22LR to learn to shoot on. I guess with time I'll look at different stocks etc.
I'm in Crystal Brook, South Australia.

There are lots and lots of options for cheap .22's, don't rule out older secondhand ones, especially if you enjoy iron sights.
I have a 1951 BSA Sportsman 5 that shoots really well, but it has no provision for a scope so you would have to drill and tap it for that. My dealer has a nice Remington 541 I've been looking at a bit recently. It'd go nicely with my father-in-law's 1940 510 single-shot which I've put into a 513T US Army stock with 10rd magazine. Unfortunately the bore is shot to hell so I'm putting a Lithgow barrel on it.

Dropping the Rugers into chassis easily doubles the price, which makes the RPR a nice option, although it has a plastic chassis rather than aluminium. I may still buy one sometime anyway though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ClaytonT88 » 30 Aug 2018, 9:47 pm

Yeah thanks mate, definitely food for thought, my uncle has a model 1 brno that I'm leaning on to maybe part with as my first rifle but we'll see. I'm fairly set on a wooden stock but until I handle a few when I get my licence, I'll just have to dream....
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2018, 9:54 pm

ClaytonT88 wrote:Yeah thanks mate, definitely food for thought, my uncle has a model 1 brno that I'm leaning on to maybe part with as my first rifle but we'll see. I'm fairly set on a wooden stock but until I handle a few when I get my licence, I'll just have to dream....

The Model 1 and 2 are beautiful rifles, far too pretty to be taking out of the house ;-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ClaytonT88 » 30 Aug 2018, 10:08 pm

haha, yeah he's fairly reluctant so I think maybe a ruger american rimfire in the wood stock for my first rifle might be the go. the 455 varmint looks appealing too.
Don't want to hijack the thread either!
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by ClaytonT88 » 02 Sep 2018, 7:06 pm

Had a great day plinking with a mates old Stirling 22lr with iron sights. Happily getting 5/10 shots on a 5" but of plate at about 100 metres. It was a great day out, had a few shots of his new Winchester 783 in .308 that he is sighting in. That thing is in animal compared to the little 22lr.
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles