Newbie seeking advice on .22 LR rifle for Hunter(Light) BR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Newbie seeking advice on .22 LR rifle for Hunter(Light) BR

Post by RajN » 29 Jun 2017, 11:48 am

G’day gents,

Firstly I’d like to thank all the members who have contributed to this forum as I (and many others alike) have benefited with the wealth of info posted in these threads.

I’m fairly new to the ‘Hunter Class BR’ sporting scene and I’m at that stage where I need to buy myself an accurate rimfire rifle along with other bits and pieces. As most of you would know the restrictions for ‘Hunter (Light Rimfire) BR’ is that the rifle along with the scope & mag MUST be under 3.515Kg (7 Lbs 12 Oz) and the scope CANNOT exceed 6 magnifications (power). I need an accurate .22 LR rifle which I can shoot of the bench UNDER 2.90Kg as I’d be using a Leupold FX3 6X42 AO scope weighing 425g without the rings. This is the challenge I’m faced with and would like your inputs guys. So far I’ve managed to narrow down my choices to the below:

CZ 452 American– Managed to track one with a beach wood stock weighing 2.9Kg
I understand that it is tried and tested rifle among shooters especially with a trigger job but will it be competitive enough in the club scene? Competing against the CZ 453, Lithy LA101 etc.

CZ 453 American – USED gun with a modified stock for BR
For arguments sake, is the CZ 453 American more accurate than a 452 with a trigger job? Does the set trigger in the 453 help with target shooting and worth the extra dollars? (nearly double $) :crazy:
Are there any other differences between them other than the trigger mechanism?

Lithgow La101 – Found the weight to be the issue as it weighs in at 3.1Kg which will exceed the weight restriction by 200g. Otherwise I really like this rifle and from the reviews might be better than the CZ shooting off the bench (haven’t done a comparison test myself) but guessing the bull barrel might help with this.
I just need to find a way to shave off 200g from this rifle to make it comply and that’ll be job done! Anyone with experiences with it’s accuracy, trigger & stock modification? I did a bit of research and could not find a great deal of info in regards to its reliability & aftermarket spares (except the three lowey products) and hence my dilemma. I read somewhere that one can now order a new rifle with a lighter trigger which is more geared toward target shooting? Anyone got this or modified the trigger?
Though it is a bit expensive than the CZ 452, I don’t mind doing my bit to support Aussie manufacturing / local jobs :thumbsup:

Greatly appreciate sharing your thoughts, opinions and experience on this.

Cheers :drinks:

- Raj

P.S I have also posted this query on another shooting form
RajN
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Newbie seeking advice on .22 LR rifle for Hunter(Light)

Post by SHV » 29 Jun 2017, 10:23 pm

Anschutz 1416
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 30 Jun 2017, 12:43 am

I can only comment as to a CZ 455 American, which of course was not one of the guns you listed, but is one I have. I find the CZ product to be quite accurate, but for benchrest shooting you would probably want to go for an after market trigger. As for weight I would assume you are allowed to drill our the stock to adjust its weight.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 30 Jun 2017, 4:35 am

Not a bench rest shooter but i'd be going the Lithy in laminate and modifying the stock a bit. Shouldn't be too hard to lose 200g by routing out the barrel channel a bit and boring out the centre of the butt stock.

There is a member here who owns a lot of very nice rim fires and he reckons the Lithy is quite possibly the best rimfire he has ever had. So much so that he has two and has fitted custom barrels, etc.

When I can afford it, a modified 101 will be my trainer for f-class. They are very nice to shoot and very well made.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RajN » 30 Jun 2017, 7:47 am

@ SHV
Thanks for your Anschutz recommendation. Will try shooting it although I've heard about its feeding problems from one of my mates.

@ GLS_1956
Thanks for bringing up the CZ 455. When I checked at my LGS it was $250 more than the 452 and I don't intend to swap barrels. So I left it out of the list, otherwise have nothing against it. In your experience how accurate do you find it when compared to a 452 & Lithy 101? I'm hoping not much and yes drilling out the stock is an option.

@ Gwion
Thanks for your inputs. The Lithy in a laminate stock does look good but I think weighs even more than the synthetic stock. I too have heard good feedback in regards to its accuracy. So definitely up there in my list. Would I be able to do the suggested modifications with a synthetic stock? Also I don't have any previous experience with gunsmithing. Could you recommended any gunsmith or someone who has modified their Lithy in sydney?
F class is where I want to be but I'm new to the shooting scene hence starting out with 50m BR at a club near me.
Cheers..
RajN
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 30 Jun 2017, 8:01 am

I have a walnut la101 which I predominantly use for rimfire silhouette. From a balance/ergonomics perspective it's my favourite rifle; that high target comb just feels perfect.

I personally installed the aftermarket Lumley Spring - I talked about it in my post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7654 The trigger breaks at about 1.6lb now with virtually zero creep. I've put close to 3000 rounds through her now and accuracy has definitely improved. Off a bench (inside the accuracy window) she can hold about 0.4" at 50m (indoor, cheap CCI-SV match ammo). That'd probably come down to <=0.3" with decent ammo and tweaking the torque ratings on the action screws.

Hope this helps.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 30 Jun 2017, 11:31 am

RajN: The Lithgow isn't imported to the USA at least not that I know of, so I've never even seen one except on the web. As for the other CZ rifles, I cant remember ever shooting one, I may have, but I don't recall.

I don't make use of the 455's swap barrel feature, I look at as just another 22 in the safe, but I can see where it could be a detriment since the barrel could become loose and effect accuracy.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Jun 2017, 12:01 pm

Speaking of research, you might want to check out RimfireCentral.com but it is a very big read
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by allan » 30 Jun 2017, 1:02 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:RajN: The Lithgow isn't imported to the USA at least not that I know of, so I've never even seen one except on the web.

https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/lithgow/
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jun 2017, 3:00 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:RajN: The Lithgow isn't imported to the USA at least not that I know of, so I've never even seen one except on the web.

22Plinkster has one, but I have no idea where he got it from.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 30 Jun 2017, 3:21 pm

Legacy sports import them and are available now in the US
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 30 Jun 2017, 4:58 pm

Our club is hosting the Hunter Nationals later this year, a few of us are sorting Anschutz 64 MSR's to make weight and Sako P94's if you can find one are worth looking at :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 01 Jul 2017, 8:14 am

Raj, I wouldn't expect the 'bench rest' accuracy from any synthetic stock. I can't recommend a smith in Sydney but I can pm you a smith in Tas who does excellent work and it is quite affordable to post to him from your local dealer. It wouldn't hurt to send an email and ask for weight shaving advice if you are keen to explore the Lithgow option further.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jul 2017, 11:08 am

RajN wrote:G’day gents,

Firstly I’d like to thank all the members who have contributed to this forum as I (and many others alike) have benefited with the wealth of info posted in these threads.

I’m fairly new to the ‘Hunter Class BR’ sporting scene and I’m at that stage where I need to buy myself an accurate rimfire rifle along with other bits and pieces. As most of you would know the restrictions for ‘Hunter (Light Rimfire) BR’ is that the rifle along with the scope & mag MUST be under 3.515Kg (7 Lbs 12 Oz) and the scope CANNOT exceed 6 magnifications (power). I need an accurate .22 LR rifle which I can shoot of the bench UNDER 2.90Kg as I’d be using a Leupold FX3 6X42 AO scope weighing 425g without the rings. This is the challenge I’m faced with and would like your inputs guys. So far I’ve managed to narrow down my choices to the below:

What sort of accuracy are you looking at to be competitive in Hunter Class BR?
I'm no kind of target shooter, but my Ruger Rimfire Target has given me sub-10mm 5rd groups at 50m with Eley Edge, Eley Subsonic and CCI Std Vel, and a best so far of 17.5mm for 5rds at 100m with Eley Edge. But the barrel might be a bit heavy for your weight limit. The Target's lami stock is 280gm heavier than the Compact's poly stock though (1150gm to 870gm), so swapping stocks could be an option to reduce the weight significantly, or drill the guts out of the lami. Ruger lists the Compact at 2.4kg and the Target at 3.04kg.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 01 Jul 2017, 12:06 pm

After a bit of a look around, the Lithgow Laminate stock seems to be 200g heavier than the polymer stock.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RajN » 03 Jul 2017, 8:19 am

in2anity wrote:I have a walnut la101 which I predominantly use for rimfire silhouette. From a balance/ergonomics perspective it's my favourite rifle; that high target comb just feels perfect.

I personally installed the aftermarket Lumley Spring - I talked about it in my post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7654 The trigger breaks at about 1.6lb now with virtually zero creep. I've put close to 3000 rounds through her now and accuracy has definitely improved. Off a bench (inside the accuracy window) she can hold about 0.4" at 50m (indoor, cheap CCI-SV match ammo). That'd probably come down to <=0.3" with decent ammo and tweaking the torque ratings on the action screws.

Hope this helps.

Yeah I too have heard good things about its accuracy and like that high comb. Good to hear about the Lumley spring. Thanks.
RajN
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by RajN » 03 Jul 2017, 8:26 am

sungazer wrote:I would be interested to find out what is used. Have you been to a few club shoots? I am sure you will find that there is a common setup being used by competitors. I would really start there rather than rushing in and spending money first. Ask me how I know. :D I have some equipment that I wish I had of waited as I would have bought a slightly different model. Then there are some just outright dumb purchases. (well not dumb can still be used just not for there intended purpose). Then I have some stuff that was a dumb purchase listening to recommendations of the LGS. Do your own research well first, is the best thing. Sorry long post I know thats what your doing now. Also internet information is not always accurate :(

Yup been talking to some club shooters and will be going to a club shoot this week to have a look. Thanks for the advice about buying gear. Been cautiously avoiding the temptation to impulse buy stuff but not sure I can hold up for long... :problem:
RajN
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by RajN » 03 Jul 2017, 8:28 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:Speaking of research, you might want to check out RimfireCentral.com but it is a very big read

Been going through that forum and it's got tonnes for info. Thanks.
RajN
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by RajN » 03 Jul 2017, 8:34 am

Strikey wrote:Our club is hosting the Hunter Nationals later this year, a few of us are sorting Anschutz 64 MSR's to make weight and Sako P94's if you can find one are worth looking at :thumbsup:

Interestingly one of the club shooters also recommended the Sako P94s. Apparently it's hot commodity at the moment. Any ideas on it's availability and price?
RajN
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by RajN » 03 Jul 2017, 8:43 am

Gwion wrote:Raj, I wouldn't expect the 'bench rest' accuracy from any synthetic stock. I can't recommend a smith in Sydney but I can pm you a smith in Tas who does excellent work and it is quite affordable to post to him from your local dealer. It wouldn't hurt to send an email and ask for weight shaving advice if you are keen to explore the Lithgow option further.

Gwion,
I went to the LGS with luggage scales and weighed the LA101s and your were spot on with their weight.
Could you please PM me the gunsmith's details? Would like to get an idea on the costs involved.
Thanks.
RajN
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by d3driver » 03 Jul 2017, 11:02 am

RajN wrote:Interestingly one of the club shooters also recommended the Sako P94s. Apparently it's hot commodity at the moment. Any ideas on it's availability and price?

The P94S stopped production "around" 2005. Hard to get a hold of and very expensive especially in Australia. I'm very glad to be getting mine back in about 3 weeks :thumbsup:
Currently:
Weatherby VG S2 in .223 in Boyds Thumbhole, Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50
Sako Finnfire Hunter .22, Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 (my old .22 bought back)
d3driver
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by ClaytonT88 » 01 Oct 2018, 7:59 am

Bump. Interested to see how RajN went with his search and subsequent competitions?
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles