PCP rifle

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: PCP rifle

Post by bigrich » 04 Jul 2020, 9:40 am

this is a old post, but i thought i would revive it to see if anyone has been playing with 22 pcp for plinking/rabbit culling duties. i've just bought a hw80 weihrauch springer in 22 and am very impressed . but a hw100 in pcp has appeal . scuba tanks or a electric pump take the hassle out of pumping them up manually . less noise and lethal range might be handy in semi rural applications where noise and neihbours could be a concern . i think farmers might be more receptive to air rifles as well with livestock not being spooked or in danger from harm
i was talking to a relative that lives around doreen in victoria and there is a rabbit plauge in these outer suburbs as they've worked out no one will shoot them there . saw the same thing in tenterfield , more rabbits around the outer areas of town than out in grazing country . seen foxes in broad daylight sneaking around the outer parts of town too
with permission from locals and checking with local police, i'm wondering if this could be a solution for more rabbit stews ;)

they've been using air rifles in the uk for this for a long time

so anybody got any feedback on this subject :unknown:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by scoot » 04 Jul 2020, 2:31 pm

Bought an fx dreamline .22 a while ago. More than capable of taking rabbits @50. (Haven't got any, bit dry around here, but have taken several pest birds emphatically). Mines set at around 30fpe currently. Have had 18gr jsb up near 900 fps with about 135psi reg pressure.The few pcp's I have experienced have all been very accurate. Fx, Benjamin, weirach. Trajectory is obviously a bit loopy but groups can still be tight @100.
Air doesn't have to be painful. For me Top ups from a cheap ebay $30 hand pump from reg dropout to full takes about 50 pumps. Shot count of around 40-50. I also managed to pickup a compressor for $360, 1.1l bottle, reg, hoses, etc was around $150 I think. This makes filling a breeze, and the small bottle gives about 3-4 refills with great portability.
Still quite loud to use but it does have a different note to a "gunshot. As you elude to public perception is definitely more responsive to an old air rifle than a conventional firearm. Maybe the old carny duck shooting jobbies are what people imagine. Reality is modern pcp's are another level. Like anything you can spend little or lots. I saved for a while to get my setup but dont regret it at all.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 04 Jul 2020, 4:24 pm

thanks for the reply scoot, you've confirmed a few theory's i have on this subject. i'm new to air guns, (not counting the piece of crap chinese air rifle i had as a kid ) and the springer's definately teach you to pay attention to hold and technique . was shooting my hw80 this arvo with diana "exact" pellets off a flat rest out to 25 meters and got a vertical group of 10 shots that measured 20mm . considering my lack of experience with air, and the amount of wind blowing, it impressed me . pcp is a whole lot better as i understand because there is no mechanical recoil from a spring
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles