PCP rifle

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

PCP rifle

Post by Dunxy » 28 Aug 2017, 6:52 pm

Rifles, not the drug! :lol:
Anybody here into them?
As im picking up my first PCP this week im after a bit of info.

Anybody imported/used/seen one of the Chinese compressors ebay/aliexp?

Anybody converted a non regulated gun to regulated?

No LGS i have been to yet even knew what regulated PCP rifles were! I had to explain it.Had no clue about compressors as i asked if they had any sources before i considered importing as i prefer to support my local economy!

Not much of an air rifle community (outside of bench shooters) here in Aus, partly to blame is i believe the retarded law that limits even low powered break barrels to fully licensed shooters and prohibits their use anywhere you cant use a powderburner. So little incentive for people to drop big money on them when a cheaper .22 will do everything and more.I grew up when every kid had an air rifle pretty much(except me because my mother is brainwashed) and i never heard of anybody losing an eye or anything.I remember kids bringing their targets from the weekends shoot in to school on a monday for show and tell! Probably get expelled for that in todays times!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: PCP's

Post by marksman » 28 Aug 2017, 7:32 pm

I know a pro shooter who uses one for pigeons in factory's
most shots are straight up so no trajectory
he paid a s**t ton of money for it but has been very happy with from his reports
very powerful and quiet
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 28 Aug 2017, 8:02 pm

A old mate uses a Steyr semi-auto at our rimfire silhouette range, I think it's a "Hunting 5". Falls under cat A so I'm told. He has a SCUBA tank to fill it. Even with heavier projectiles it won't knock down the rams at 100m, so it doesn't hit nearly as hard as even 22lr subs. So I wouldn't take a rabbit with it past 40m. Very accurate and lovely to plink with.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 28 Aug 2017, 9:50 pm

I realize my OP is a big vague, ive actually already purchased a pcp rifle,just waiting for first 28 day pta to pick it up later in week along with my lithgow la101.

The semi auto's are not renowned for power or accuracy but ive only seen cheapos you get for a few hundred and had written them of as the junk they are!i didnt know about these steyr semis even though i have seen plenty of their more target orientated models,just looked them up is this it? http://potfire.com.au/new-steyr-rifles/ ... -auto.html. Lot of coin! Looks nice and from specs its not weak at all but id drop that coin on one of their field target (more like bench) models over a semi myself.

They are all cat A (as everything should be!)in vic if not all of au but i think WA was trying to move them to C or even D which is seriously retarded.

The .177 bolt action ive purchased will push supersonic with light pellets so dont confuse it with a 500fps break barrel from yesteryear.They take deer with .25's and pigs with .22 PCP rifles in USA.The .25's have great flat trajectory with energy about the same as a .22 rimfire up to 50m but they are hard near on impossible to find in stock here in Aus, always .177 and .22 models only and i haven't even tried to source any slugs over .22 yet. Im looking at larger caliber (50 is on the cards, 220grains@800fps) PCP for larger game down the track.The .177 is for feral birds,rats and paper as they have super flat trajectory they are the caliber of choice for these tasks.Ideal for plinking with the reactive field targets as well(which i enjoy,best $40 ever!)the .22's abuse the targets a bit too much!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 28 Aug 2017, 10:32 pm

Metallic silhouette has dedicated air rifle matches with scaled down targets from 20 to 45 yards. ( Yes, it is in yards. ) There is also a field target discipline that holds matches.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 29 Aug 2017, 6:20 am

Dunxy wrote:I realize my OP is a big vague, ive actually already purchased a pcp rifle,just waiting for first 28 day pta to pick it up later in week along with my lithgow la101.

The semi auto's are not renowned for power or accuracy but ive only seen cheapos you get for a few hundred and had written them of as the junk they are!i didnt know about these steyr semis even though i have seen plenty of their more target orientated models,just looked them up is this it? http://potfire.com.au/new-steyr-rifles/ ... -auto.html. Lot of coin! Looks nice and from specs its not weak at all but id drop that coin on one of their field target (more like bench) models over a semi myself.

They are all cat A (as everything should be!)in vic if not all of au but i think WA was trying to move them to C or even D which is seriously retarded.

The .177 bolt action ive purchased will push supersonic with light pellets so dont confuse it with a 500fps break barrel from yesteryear.They take deer with .25's and pigs with .22 PCP rifles in USA.The .25's have great flat trajectory with energy about the same as a .22 rimfire up to 50m but they are hard near on impossible to find in stock here in Aus, always .177 and .22 models only and i haven't even tried to source any slugs over .22 yet. Im looking at larger caliber (50 is on the cards, 220grains@800fps) PCP for larger game down the track.The .177 is for feral birds,rats and paper as they have super flat trajectory they are the caliber of choice for these tasks.Ideal for plinking with the reactive field targets as well(which i enjoy,best $40 ever!)the .22's abuse the targets a bit too much!

Some of the higher-end semi PCPs are phenomenally accurate, much more accurate than your average Joe shooter can consistently realise. The target versions can comfortably rub shoulders with 22lr annies. If you watch some of Ted's Holdovers videos (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNqIq4 ... JhFJca2J-g) you can see what is achievable in PCP land. But yes, they can be very pricey, but in my books, buy once, cry once.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 29 Aug 2017, 6:21 am

Not sure what PCP air rifle you have bought but if its an FX,Hermanns can install a regulator if not Altaros make regulators to fit most air rifles. Recently purchased a BSA 177 that has an Altaros reg installed and tuned to sub 12fpe and it is amazingly accurate out to 50yds, as far as we have tested so far, also have a 25cal FX regulated and not uncommon to shoot sub MOA groups at 100yds with it. A regulator will give your air rifle consistent shot to shot velocity without the usual rise and fall of an unregulated air rifle, they are well worth the money and time to install. Don't get carried away with velocity, air rifles are accurate when velocities are kept under 900-930fps, yes the dealers who know nothing about them will tell you about 1000-1200fps air rifles which is absolute bulls**t, you won't hit the side of a barn with the super light pellets they use to get those speeds, there is no velocity without accuracy. I have 2 scuba tanks for filling my airguns but I have been looking at the Yong Heng compressor and its on my wish list, seem to be a good thing for the money :thumbsup:
Last edited by Strikey on 29 Aug 2017, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 29 Aug 2017, 6:23 am

Gamerancher wrote:Metallic silhouette has dedicated air rifle matches with scaled down targets from 20 to 45 yards. ( Yes, it is in yards. ) There is also a field target discipline that holds matches.

He mentioned that's part of the reason he got it. It knocks the pigs down with heavier projectiles, so I believe it. Bit of a shame it can't replace the 22lr at rimfire distances though; stupid cheap to run you see. But TBH I don't actually know of any air rifle silhouette ranges in the Sydney region.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 29 Aug 2017, 8:43 am

He's in Victoria so I don't reckon he cares if there is one in Sydney.
You can shoot air rifle silhouette at SSAA Majura on 1st Saturday of the every month if you were looking to try it, that would be the closest match to Sydney. As I said, it is shot at scaled down targets at shorter distances than rimfire.
As for not being powerful enough @ 100, my Feinwerkbau P70 will take down pest birds here on the farm no worries at that distance, and I've often shot the 100m rams just for sh!ts and giggles.
The Steyr's are a top shelf unit as are the Anschutz and Feinkwerbau. I don't think there are many people shooting spring guns in our sport anymore, mostly all PCP.
As Strikey stated, we all use scuba tanks with adapters to fill with.
The National Championships for Field Target are on in Tasmania in September the week before the Silhouette Nationals which start on 29th September with the air rifle matches..
Last edited by Gamerancher on 29 Aug 2017, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 29 Aug 2017, 12:11 pm

Good too see theres some enthusiasts here! More replies than expected!
in2anity wrote:
Some of the higher-end semi PCPs are phenomenally accurate, much more accurate than your average Joe shooter can consistently realise. The target versions can comfortably rub shoulders with 22lr annies. If you watch some of Ted's Holdovers videos (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNqIq4 ... JhFJca2J-g) you can see what is achievable in PCP land. But yes, they can be very pricey, but in my books, buy once, cry once.

Will check link, been binge watching american air gunner on youtube for the last few weeks as well as a few UK channels.Yeah, people underestimate the power of a decent PCP, thats for sure! I would have before i started researching them a few months ago. Ive seen guys shooting SUB MOA with even my entry level PCP.

Strikey wrote:Not sure what PCP air rifle you have bought but if its an FX,Hermanns can install a regulator if not Altaros make regulators to fit most air rifles. Recently purchased a BSA 177 that has an Altaros reg installed and tuned to sub 12fpe and it is amazingly accurate out to 50yds, as far as we have tested so far, also have a 25cal FX regulated and not uncommon to shoot sub MOA groups at 100yds with it. A regulator will give your air rifle consistent shot to shot velocity without the usual rise and fall of an unregulated air rifle, they are well worth the money and time to install. Don't get carried away with velocity, air rifles are accurate when velocities are kept under 900-930fps, yes the dealers who know nothing about them will tell you about 1000-1200fps air rifles which is absolute bulls**t, you won't hit the side of a barn with the super light pellets they use to get those speeds, there is no velocity without accuracy. I have 2 scuba tanks for filling my airguns but I have been looking at the Yong Heng compressor and its on my wish list, seem to be a good thing for the money :thumbsup:

Gamo Coyote, i research things (weeks to months) before i buy so I don't rely on possibly biased salesman , i didnt find any LGS yet that had a clue about PCP's in any capacity,but i know they exist.I really wanted a Kral but the model i wanted is not imported here yet, a mate of a mate is supposed to be importing them,but i CBF waiting.I checked out BSA as well as i could have got a very good price on one but my research and contacts changed my mind on the regulated models.The factory quoted velocity (yup i know its with super light alloy slugs) is over 1600fps,however im not planning on shooting it supersonic to keep it stealthy! On the subject of supersonic air rifles, ive got to say urban legend on "supersonic air rifles are less accurate" because i have seen it proven otherwise. Don't get me wrong, until a few days ago even i was under the common held understanding that pushing slugs past sound barrier was disadvantageous. Dont ask me what episode as ive binged on about 5 seasons, but American Airgunner debunked it in later seasons with the new host they did a test with a springer that had adjustable power and a device for tuning barrel harmonics as well. They tested a few pellets from i think around 800fps to over the speed of sound.Even to the surprise of the tester (Top Gaylord i thinks his name, godfather of air gunning in USA and highly respected) all but one of the pellets he tested got the best accuracy at supersonic speeds.So if you find what light pellets work with the harmonics of your barrel it is actually not less accurate to shoot supersonic as is commonly believed.Still, as i said it is not my desire to do so myself because i just use my .22lr, but its possible.I may even need the adjustable regulator to keep this coyote subsonic, finding real world data on it is hard, only chrony data ive found on it is one video, which is in Russian, so yeah...
If you buy a comp, let me know in here, if i get one first i will update in here. Im sure the hand pump will get old fast (i did pump up a pcp speargun before, that wasn't fun!) and the idea of having to fill bottles elsewhere all the time does not enthrall me, id prefer to own my own compressor!
You know much about the Korean Sam Yangs (i think how its spelt!) ? I been eyeing the 50cal of.

For everybody talking about it:Yeah I know everybody uses SCBA tanks, which i will too , but id prefer to be able to fill my own see! Im sure others will be filling there own as well, or maybe not? I think the prices have dropped a lot on these compressors from china as im sure a mate said he looked 12 months ago and they were close to double current prices.

Already found regulators because they share lots with a certain BSA model. Theres fixed and adjustable, i wouldn't pay somebody to fit one as they just drop into reservoir with zero tooling on these particular BSA/GAMO models, a 5 year old could do it.

Been drooling over these for a couple of weeks...I see one in my future!

I would ad more but life beckons me away from the KB.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Monty » 29 Aug 2017, 1:54 pm

Dunxy wrote:Rifles, not the drug!

And here I was getting all excited :sarcasm:
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 29 Aug 2017, 2:11 pm

Many years ago a guy I was racing with had mounted an additional air conditioner pump on his Nissan Patrol to inflate his tyres. He told me that thing could pump to some ludicrous pressures. Surely somebody must've tried adapting such a thing to air rifles?
Last edited by bladeracer on 29 Aug 2017, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 29 Aug 2017, 2:21 pm

For general plinkerage (yeah it's a word), I cant go past my winerack springer. Accurate out to 50m and no piss farting around with compressed air. My mate had a HW100 , beautiful rifle. But having to pump it up every 50 shots or so with a hand pump got really old very quickly. He ended up moving it on and got a nice springer instead. PCP's are great for specific roles, hopeless for plinking.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 29 Aug 2017, 2:55 pm

Anyone know what the 9mm/.45/.50 ones are like?
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dunxy » 02 Sep 2017, 9:54 am

Been busy so haven't been on.
This just popped up in my youtube feed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NdnItyJs-U

Picked up my gamo this week, nice rifle and am still getting used to it, got a decent 10 shot group @ 30yards which is one, all be it large, id say 4-5 pellets.Took it to the range yesterday and got it on paper @ the 50 line but it was a waste of time as accuracy was non existent.At 30 yards i can hit the kill zone in my field target every time as long as wind is not a factor. Hand pumping is actually better than i thought it would be but it is hard on my left wrist which id say is more due to falling of motorcycles when i was young and retarded.Still see a compressor in my future.Capacity from one full charge is a good 50 shots.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Sep 2017, 2:52 pm

Dunxy wrote:Been busy so haven't been on.

Yes, I saw that, and I've been looking online for it :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 02 Sep 2017, 6:06 pm

Dunxy wrote:Been busy so haven't been on.

Picked up my gamo this week, nice rifle and am still getting used to it, got a decent 10 shot group @ 30yards which is one, all be it large, id say 4-5 pellets.Took it to the range yesterday and got it on paper @ the 50 line but it was a waste of time as accuracy was non existent.At 30 yards i can hit the kill zone in my field target every time as long as wind is not a factor. Hand pumping is actually better than i thought it would be but it is hard on my left wrist which id say is more due to falling of motorcycles when i was young and retarded.Still see a compressor in my future.Capacity from one full charge is a good 50 shots.

Your Gamo is the same as the BSA Buccaneer, obviously a different stock but barrel and action are the same, what pellets did you try? Haven't run the BSA over the chrony yet but I believe it is running around 780-800fps with H&N FTT's which puts it at around 12fpe, it is a tackholer out 45yds. Did Tom Gaylord mention any problems with shooting lead pellets, over 1200fps you will get lead stripping resulting in a fouled barrel??
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dunxy » 02 Sep 2017, 7:25 pm

Strikey wrote:
Your Gamo is the same as the BSA Buccaneer, obviously a different stock but barrel and action are the same, what pellets did you try? Haven't run the BSA over the chrony yet but I believe it is running around 780-800fps with H&N FTT's which puts it at around 12fpe, it is a tackholer out 45yds. Did Tom Gaylord mention any problems with shooting lead pellets, over 1200fps you will get lead stripping resulting in a fouled barrel??

So you have the BSA? I realize they are sharing a lot of parts, if not all.I have seen mention of the lead fouling, been researching all over the place so i couldn't recall the source.
Im trying to keep it subsonic anyway, ive got some 8.8gr stoeger match wad cutters it seems to like.I had a plastic box of some ancient brand no longer in existence that a mate had that went ok, also got some 10.4-5-6(i forget now, not opening safe)gr long range gamo slugs that i haven't shot much, some old winchesters which it hates and the stupid gamo ones with plastic tips that i can only load in displayed chamber in mag or they will jam, they something like 7.5gr but im keeping them for old Gecado break barrel as i primarily got them for it anyway. Ive just not come across any other slugs since i picked up the rifle, ill find some more during the week to try, the H&N's do have a good rep.How many grains are they? Do you have thoughts on what the actual pellet weight would be to get it supersonic(or rather lower limit to keep it subsonic!) ?

I dont have a chorny (yet..)to measure my velocity but just from lack of any perceivable crack i would have to assume im staying bellow.Its all marketing hype anyway, im hardly interested in shooting super light pellets at supersonic speeds with an air rifle as i don't see the point! If im making noise ill be using the .22! If im not mistake the BSA specs quote a more realistic speed do they not?
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 02 Sep 2017, 10:53 pm

pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 03 Sep 2017, 7:45 am

Most if not all the pellets you mentioned I would consider good for melting down to make sinkers, they probably cost the same as a quality pellet such as the H&N's or JSB's.The FTT's are 8•64grn ( I'm having a cuppa, couldn't be bothered to go have a look and check,lol ), headsize is 4•50, JSB Exacts are slightly lighter I think at 8•44grns but their headsize is 4•52 and my BSA doesn't like them, both these brands make 10•6ish grn pellets also which will bring the velocity down and slightly lower the noise. Contact ACME Firearms for H&N pellets or Potters Target Firearms for JSB pellets :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 03 Sep 2017, 10:26 am

Hey Strikey, Truey has one of the Steyr's and couldn't believe how accurate it was. Wouldn't stop going on and on about what a tack driver it was, you know how he is. Anyway, some time down the track it's accuracy turns to sh!t, he can't work out what's gone wrong. Someone mentions that perhaps the barrel is fouled, so he sets about cleaning it. Reckons he dragged enough lead out to make a bag full of sinkers. :lol:
Clean barrel = accuracy back. He's happy again, but, now we have to listen to the "lead in the Steyr" story over and over again. :crazy: :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 03 Sep 2017, 10:39 am

Gamerancher wrote:Hey Strikey, Truey has one of the Steyr's and couldn't believe how accurate it was. Wouldn't stop going on and on about what a tack driver it was, you know how he is. Anyway, some time down the track it's accuracy turns to sh!t, he can't work out what's gone wrong. Someone mentions that perhaps the barrel is fouled, so he sets about cleaning it. Reckons he dragged enough lead out to make a bag full of sinkers. :lol:
Clean barrel = accuracy back. He's happy again, but, now we have to listen to the "lead in the Steyr" story over and over again. :crazy: :drinks:

Hahaha, as if Dooga needs another story,lol, but I think the Steyr's are susceptible to fouling as I think they have some type of coating in the barrel, a bit like chrome but not the same, I know my FX smooth twist barrels like to be clean but my Daystate's LW barrel just keeps shooting, I hope Dooga didn't get carried away scrubbing that barrel :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 03 Sep 2017, 10:48 am

Had Noggin visit here yesterday till after midnight. He works for a family in town driving trucks. I got him a start there last year for harvest and he stayed on.
He came out to have a few shots out of my Creedmoor, he's thinking of building one.
Last edited by Gamerancher on 03 Sep 2017, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 03 Sep 2017, 10:58 am

Strikey wrote:Most if not all the pellets you mentioned I would consider good for melting down to make sinkers, they probably cost the same as a quality pellet such as the H&N's or JSB's.The FTT's are 8•64grn ( I'm having a cuppa, couldn't be bothered to go have a look and check,lol ), headsize is 4•50, JSB Exacts are slightly lighter I think at 8•44grns but their headsize is 4•52 and my BSA doesn't like them, both these brands make 10•6ish grn pellets also which will bring the velocity down and slightly lower the noise. Contact ACME Firearms for H&N pellets or Potters Target Firearms for JSB pellets :thumbsup:

I haven't found any other ones yet, ive bought the best that ive come across.The stoegers ive been nothing but impressed with but im not about to just stop and not try more, remember i only picked up my rifle a few days ago so its not like ive had a lot of time to find slugs ;) Life gets in the way sometimes... Cost is never a factor when im purchasing slugs, just what ive been able to get. In regards to the H&N and JSB i can source them myself (wholesale :P Perks of my current job ) but i need to work out what i want and do a decent order from supplier,so this is why im trying to research as much as i can, im not going to order small volume because i will get raped by shipping and while we have an account we don't stock products on shelf so im ordering just for myself unfortunatly.

So lets talk H&N for starters, i have available 11 different types, which ones would you recommend precisely? Have you tried any of the ones like "magnum rabbit II" , "sniper magnum"or the piledriver? Which particular pattern/s would you think best for close range small game? Obviously the waddcutters the pick for punching paper yeah?

I will also order some JSB as well.

So do you have an idea about what weight to stay above to keep it subsonic?
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 03 Sep 2017, 12:32 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Had Noggin visit here yesterday till after midnight. He works for a Family in town driving trucks. I got him a start there last year for harvest and he stayed on.
He came out to have a few shots out of my Creedmore, he's thinking of building one.

Was wondering where Noggin got to but now you are converting him to a latte sipping Creedmore shooter, he needs a proper girls gun, something in 25 cal perhaps,lol :D :D

Dunxy wrote:
Strikey wrote:Most if not all the pellets you mentioned I would consider good for melting down to make sinkers, they probably cost the same as a quality pellet such as the H&N's or JSB's.The FTT's are 8•64grn ( I'm having a cuppa, couldn't be bothered to go have a look and check,lol ), headsize is 4•50, JSB Exacts are slightly lighter I think at 8•44grns but their headsize is 4•52 and my BSA doesn't like them, both these brands make 10•6ish grn pellets also which will bring the velocity down and slightly lower the noise. Contact ACME Firearms for H&N pellets or Potters Target Firearms for JSB pellets :thumbsup:

I haven't found any other ones yet, ive bought the best that ive come across.The stoegers ive been nothing but impressed with but im not about to just stop and not try more, remember i only picked up my rifle a few days ago so its not like ive had a lot of time to find slugs ;) Life gets in the way sometimes... Cost is never a factor when im purchasing slugs, just what ive been able to get. In regards to the H&N and JSB i can source them myself (wholesale :P Perks of my current job ) but i need to work out what i want and do a decent order from supplier,so this is why im trying to research as much as i can, im not going to order small volume because i will get raped by shipping and while we have an account we don't stock products on shelf so im ordering just for myself unfortunatly.

So lets talk H&N for starters, i have available 11 different types, which ones would you recommend precisely? Have you tried any of the ones like "magnum rabbit II" , "sniper magnum"or the piledriver? Which particular pattern/s would you think best for close range small game? Obviously the waddcutters the pick for punching paper yeah?

Forget about the Rabbit Magnum, piledrivers etc, don't know of anyone being able to get decent accuracy with them, wadcutters are usually designed for 10m guns and air pistols, as in low power airguns not much good past 10-15m, as with every rifle buy one tin of the type of pellets you might like to try, then see if your air rifle will group half decently with one of those types then try some of the same in a different headsize, H&N have a selection of varying sizes,JSB's in this country unfortunately only come in the one headsize for each calibre. It may be a long exercise but saves buying a ****** of pellets only to find you can't hit a rabbits head at 40m, personally I just stick with the diabolo shape pellets and the rabbits seem to fall over dead, don't concern yourself with fancy pellets, the one that shoots accurately is what you need and I doubt very much if your rifle will shoot anything supersonic :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Sep 2017, 1:30 pm

pomemax wrote:cheap enough for a 50 cal pcp
http://www.ausarms.com.au/links/categor ... ubcat_id=4

Those sub-$1000 rifles look like fun. I'm going to have to do some research.
In powder rifles we know there's a sweet spot at 6-7mm and .338-.375" - is there a sweet spot in air rifle calibers? When I was a youngster I shot air rifles competitively and we always looked at .177 for accuracy, .22 was for energy rather than accuracy.

I see they sell 9mm pellets for $10/46, dearer than a lot of .22LR ammo.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 03 Sep 2017, 2:14 pm

Strikey wrote:
Gamerancher wrote:Had Noggin visit here yesterday till after midnight. He works for a Family in town driving trucks. I got him a start there last year for harvest and he stayed on.
He came out to have a few shots out of my Creedmore, he's thinking of building one.

Was wondering where Noggin got to but now you are converting him to a latte sipping Creedmore shooter, he needs a proper girls gun, something in 25 cal perhaps,lol :D :D

Dunxy wrote:

Forget about the Rabbit Magnum, piledrivers etc, don't know of anyone being able to get decent accuracy with them, wadcutters are usually designed for 10m guns and air pistols, as in low power airguns not much good past 10-15m, as with every rifle buy one tin of the type of pellets you might like to try, then see if your air rifle will group half decently with one of those types then try some of the same in a different headsize, H&N have a selection of varying sizes,JSB's in this country unfortunately only come in the one headsize for each calibre. It may be a long exercise but saves buying a ****** of pellets only to find you can't hit a rabbits head at 40m, personally I just stick with the diabolo shape pellets and the rabbits seem to fall over dead, don't concern yourself with fancy pellets, the one that shoots accurately is what you need and I doubt very much if your rifle will shoot anything supersonic :thumbsup:

Cool thanks for all the help it is greatly appreciated to get some first hand knowledge, im not going after bunnys man, just pest birds(got 4 pigeons for a mate yesterday on his farm, 2 in one shot with those 10+grain gamo slug, a couple of miners and doves have also fallen prey already as well),rats,field targets and paper! 22lr with subs be for bunnies ;) So your saying i should be safe with any lead pellet without cracking sound barrier? So for the birds and such a dome head diablo would be pellet of choice? I know the wad cutters are crap for long range, that being said i got a 1/3" group @ 30ish metres with the stoegers( pic on my phone and im on a work computer) and have zero dramas consistently hitting kill zone on field target at same range, i actually got kinda bored and picked up the old gecado springer with iron sights because it was not a challenge with the gamo.
If i was after larger stuff i sure would have minimum .22 or preferably a .25 not the .177! Larger calibers for larger stuff are down the track! I didn't have a .177 (the gecado is my mates and will be returned this week, think i need a break barrel as well, maybe a .22! I enjoy the challenge of the springers recoil+iron sights,before this year id only ever taken a couple of shots of rifles with scopes) so i got it first because it is what i will use predominately.

Got any tips to improve trigger? A very experienced mate picked it up just before and said it was disgusting. I haven't tried adjusting it yet, is it same as BSA?

GREAT :clap: to see some more interest on here! Im loving the Gamo so far and for the money it is indeed great value! It was 850ish with bag,rests and a hand pump that they flog for $350! Depending on what caliber my mate chooses(either .25 or a .50) I would consider purchasing one on .25 if my mate goes for the 50, otherwise ill end up with a .50 which will obviously not be a Gamo! Will be ordering one of these compressors soon as well.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 19 Sep 2017, 10:54 am

I put an order in for a 1/2 dozen H&N & JSB's as well as a sampler, looking forward to putting them through the Gamo and seeing how they perform! Ive really gotten the Gamo dialed now and I popped a good 1/2 dozen shots into the same hole the other day @ 20m with it.After 500= rounds i do have a few observations about it.

Its very accurate but the design of the way they mount the tank to the barrel at the front is flawed, you have to be extremely careful inserting the fill hose so as not to cause any flex or it throws the zero of.

The trigger is indeed absolute tripe! Had a play with adjustment and only slight improvement to be had. Im going to order a replacement kit from OS that includes a aluminium blade (with changed geometry) as well as a couple of other parts.The plastic blade i believe is the major flaw, so much flex trying to have predicable break is near on impossible.Its a shame because this (and flex issue mentioned above) are 2 issues that do detract from an otherwise very nice accurate little rifle.

On a positive note ive notice its very consistent un-regulated, even shooting heavier slugs the other day i ran it right down to the red (ive been stopping well before prior) and i wasn't having to hold over any extra shooting at 25m.So i dare say I wont bother regulating it as the consistency is more than adequate for what I desire.

Will report on the new slugs when ive had a chance to shoot them all!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 19 Sep 2017, 11:11 am

bladeracer wrote:
pomemax wrote:cheap enough for a 50 cal pcp
http://www.ausarms.com.au/links/categor ... ubcat_id=4

Those sub-$1000 rifles look like fun. I'm going to have to do some research.
In powder rifles we know there's a sweet spot at 6-7mm and .338-.375" - is there a sweet spot in air rifle calibers? When I was a youngster I shot air rifles competitively and we always looked at .177 for accuracy, .22 was for energy rather than accuracy.

I see they sell 9mm pellets for $10/46, dearer than a lot of .22LR ammo.

yer I don,t own one they just look like fun eh
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 24 Sep 2017, 2:50 pm

So ive been working my way through over a dozen assorted (mostly H&N and JSB) slugs, only a few left to go!

The FTT's have been the best i have tried so far,they group decently however not (close, very close) as well as the heavy long range Gamo slugs I already have.But the FTT are for sure better value.

The JSB Diablo now, well what can I say.... You may reffer to the other slugs ive been using (specifically the stoeger match wad cutters which run $15 per 500 VS $25is retail for the JSB's...) as sinker grade, these JSB's group even worse than the ancient Winchesters I have! That bad i though crap, im shooting like rubbish or something is wrong with the rifle so loaded a mag of the stoegers and shot a 1 hole 5 shot group, so gun was grouping fine but it freaking HATES these on a level ive never encountered before! I will also add the quality of finish and consistency of the stoegers are better than any of the H&N or JSB's, so if you haven't tried them (because you wrote them of for whatever reason) I highly suggest you do as you may be pleasantly surprised! Ive go some pics on my phone and will put them up after i finish testing them all, ive got 3 left to test.

The only other pellet of note so far was the crow magnum which grouped reasonably well.

The stupid FTT Green alloy (they came in sampler,I wouldn't have ordered specifically)5 grain ish slug went supersonic.

Out of the 3 ive got left to try, only one I have any hope for are cometa exacta wad cutters.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles