So I have a new Rifle, now what?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

So I have a new Rifle, now what?

Post by Zarrs » 22 Sep 2017, 12:22 pm

Hello every one,

I am a first time gun owner well, i will be next month when my licence gets approved. I am getting a lithgow cross over .22lr and I was just curious what the first steps are when I get it.
From what I have read I need to do the following, any feed back on if I have this correct would be great.

Clean it - Do i just use a little bit of gun oil on a patch the first pull through then dry patches after that and continue until the patch comes out clean? Lithgow recmmend CLP breakfree in their manual

Bore sight it - from my understanding you line the sight up with the muzzle?

sight it in - The guys at the range are going to help me with this but from my understanding you move the sight cross-hairs to the round on the target

shoot lots of s**t

I saw this video that states you should fire lap the barrel by shooting 300 rounds and every 100 rounds run a dry cloth through it. Is this rubbish or is he on to something, the video can be found here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywvg5aDlu8
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: So I have a new Rifle, now what?

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Sep 2017, 8:06 pm

By the sounds of things,, go straight to the bit where you say the guys at the range are going to help you,,, and take it from there.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 22 Sep 2017, 8:13 pm

I would just do DJ says.

Ask them about scopes and so on and I'm sure somone will demonstrate how to clean the barrel .... take notes and take it from there - and welcome.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Zarrs » 22 Sep 2017, 8:28 pm

Thanks guys, the scope will be fitted when I pick the rifle up, i think the range is just going to help me sight it in. I have to have everything else done by the time i get there so time tips would be great.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Sep 2017, 8:30 pm

:welcome:

Give the barrel a bloody good clean before shooting.
Clean and lightly oil the rest and shoot.

Oops, try a heap of different brands of ammo till you find one that the rifle likes. Then buy a couple of bricks.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 22 Sep 2017, 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by scotty87 » 22 Sep 2017, 8:30 pm

Start saving up for your next one! Get a bunch of different 50pk ammo to try, like Winchester PowerPoints, CCI stingers, subsonics, standard velocity and a few target brands and see what shoots best.

Buy a solid front rest and get a rear bag for shooting off the bench.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 22 Sep 2017, 10:06 pm

Don't bother with all that breakin BS - just clean it well then start shooting it. You usually can get it bore-sighted at your LGS, and then just go for the zero. Start shooting paper at 25yards if you can, then stretch it once you're on the money. Oh and BTW they like CCI-Standard Velocity or SK-Standard Plus (if you wanna spend a little more). Good choice of first rifle - they shoot like stink!
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 22 Sep 2017, 10:36 pm

in2anity wrote:Don't bother with all that breakin BS - just clean it well then start shooting it. You usually can get it bore-sighted at your LGS, and then just go for the zero. Start shooting paper at 25yards if you can, then stretch it once you're on the money. Oh and BTW they like CCI-Standard Velocity or SK-Standard Plus (if you wanna spend a little more). Good choice of first rifle - they shoot like stink!

this :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 22 Sep 2017, 10:52 pm

Thanks guys can any one recommend any cleaning products? I've looked at the aussie reviews cleaning guide but that stuffs looks to be a bit pricey. I don't mind paying if it does a great job but from what I've read they arnt the best products to use. He used gunslick bore foam and g96 gun care in the video. I some people say you don't need to clean .22 rifles, but lets just say I wanted to ;)
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by marksman » 22 Sep 2017, 11:48 pm

most of the cleaners will be for copper jacketed bullets (centrefire) maybe when you go to the range you can get some butches bore shine or tetra gun, its what I use only cause its there, my go to solvent is patchout wipeout but I have to get it from the US
I would advise not to use clp gunzilla ever, if you do I guarantee after a while you will be sorry

really even to run some oil patches through will be good, make sure you use a 1 piece rod and patch it out clean after
what I have been told by 22 bench shooters is not to clean your 22 very often, apparently it takes a few rounds for a 22 to settle down and then will shoot very well until it does not and that's when you clean and start again, but I think you should oil patch between uses to preserve the barrel, ballistol is good but there are others
when trying different brands of ammo to see what is good clean between different brands,
apparently the wax coating/powder fowling will be different between brands and it effects the outcome , apparently

while at the range if you get talking to others you will get all sorts of info, my advise is look at there targets if you want to get good advise
people with good very small groupings are the ones you want to talk to and they are the ones who will help out without the bullchit , everyone's an expert

anyway I hope this helps a bit and good luck with it Zarrs
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 23 Sep 2017, 7:51 am

whether or not to clean your 22 is a massively divided realm, do a bit of googling to find out - but at the very least you should run an oil patch and clean the bolt, chamber and mouth as much as possible after each session. One thing to note; the la101 is not as finicky as lighter sporter type 22s, so dips in accuracy following a good clean isn't nearly as obvious. Stay away from the chemicals - they are more for copper fouling. For the record, despite what some tell you, all 22s need to be cleaned. For example our rifle club had a routine cleaning day once a week where we cleaned all the club 22s.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by scotty87 » 23 Sep 2017, 10:32 am

I've always used hoppes 9 for cleaning and a patch of gun oil after, becareful with LGS mounting your scope, I've had experience where they have come loose, ring caps not tightened, plus they can't set it up for your eye relief if your not there. Make sure to take he Allen key to the range with you incase you need to tighten or move anything
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 23 Sep 2017, 11:22 am

scotty87 wrote:I've always used hoppes 9 for cleaning and a patch of gun oil after, becareful with LGS mounting your scope, I've had experience where they have come loose, ring caps not tightened, plus they can't set it up for your eye relief if your not there. Make sure to take he Allen key to the range with you incase you need to tighten or move anything

Hoppes 9 certainly works, but I generally only use solvents on my centerfires, in particular when I'm shooting jacketed ammo. A boresnake, a couple of oil patches and some g96 for the mouth/action is enough for lead projectiles at slow speeds (like the 22lr and cast-lead plinking loads). In fact when shooting lead through my lever, it groups tightest after a few fouling shots, hence why a boresnake suffices. If I clean it super thoroughly with solvent it throws flyers before it settles down.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Zarrs » 23 Sep 2017, 11:23 am

Great thanks for all the info im writing all this down so i dont forget it when I go in.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 23 Sep 2017, 11:36 am

Hoppe's 9 is good for the bore, ever few hundred or thousand rounds. I now use aerosol gun cleaners to a large extent, but Hoppe's 9 works there too. Follow that up with a drop or two of good oil/gun lube. The biggest mistake that people make in gun maintenance is they over oil. Oil attracts dirt and other gunk, use it sparingly. When you pick up your gun also get a gun cloth, these are cloths that are impregnated with a protectorate to help prevent rust.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Wombat » 23 Sep 2017, 2:31 pm

Whatever method of cleaning use end up using remember that you only shoot from a dry clean bore. Before you shoot run a dry patch through the bore.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by scotty87 » 23 Sep 2017, 3:19 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:Hoppe's 9 is good for the bore, ever few hundred or thousand rounds. I now use aerosol gun cleaners to a large extent, but Hoppe's 9 works there too. Follow that up with a drop or two of good oil/gun lube. The biggest mistake that people make in gun maintenance is they over oil. Oil attracts dirt and other gunk, use it sparingly. When you pick up your gun also get a gun cloth, these are cloths that are impregnated with a protectorate to help prevent rust.

my only complaint with the hoppes 9 cleaner is the stink, I know I'm guilty of over oiling though as ive often grabbed the rifle out of the safe and there has been loads of oil run down the bore and action and collected at the back of the action.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dunxy » 23 Sep 2017, 4:56 pm

Congratulations on becoming (soon Im sure!) a firearms owner, im new myself.
The lithgows a great choice, I love mine.
I just got shop to mount my scope and went to range and shot @ 25 yards and dialed in, its pretty easy! I just RTFM for scope.I have played with a few rifles in the past though which obviously helped.If you struggle somebody at range will help you, all the RO's and the shooters ive come across at ranges have been very welcoming and friendly.
What flavour of lithgow did you get, Synthetic,laminate or walnut,barrel colour etc?
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 23 Sep 2017, 8:51 pm

I got the Synthetic, I think I got a good deal i got that a ziess terra scope and rings for 1375. When I priced everything out it came to around 1600/1700 depending on the shop.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by marksman » 23 Sep 2017, 10:13 pm

Wombat wrote:Whatever method of cleaning use end up using remember that you only shoot from a dry clean bore. Before you shoot run a dry patch through the bore.

this is what I would recommend as well but after you have oiled the bore,
do not shoot over a completely dry just cleaned no oil bore especially if it is chrome moly
you should oil after you clean and then run a dry patch through the bore
also do not shoot over oil in your bore that has not been dry patched out or you can risk a bulge in the barrel and very bad accuracy
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 24 Sep 2017, 12:12 pm

Zarrs wrote:I got the Synthetic, I think I got a good deal i got that a ziess terra scope and rings for 1375. When I priced everything out it came to around 1600/1700 depending on the shop.

Yeah nice! I was looking at that deal myself, I liked the synthetic stock and that scope was OK for a package deal, only issue was they didn't have (don't know if you can get it in package at all ) it with a threaded muzzle which i wanted/got because i live in hope that one day we will hopefully be allowed to use silencers on rimfire.
I ended up with laminate stock black ceracote and went for a better scope a Bushnell ar 223.This cost me 1120 for rifle and 250 for the scope. I did also throw on a swiveling bipod which added another $100ish.

Mine really loves the RWS match ammo in either sub or super sonic, hates Winchester and doesn't mind cci.Other than oiling when i first got it I only cleaned barrel for first time yesterday after about 1000 rounds. Im not going to go further into the debate about cleaning/no cleaning because it is a can of worms! Older pitted barrels do seem to go better when dirty, new stuff im not experienced enough to comment, will be interesting to see how it shoots after its first cleaning.Opinion of all my mates is basically split down the middle, half dont clean and the other half do after every day or couple of days of shooting.

Very happy with the rifle and I am seriously considering a Lithgow in 6.5 when they come out.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mitch » 24 Sep 2017, 12:40 pm

I've got a new lithgow also. I got black synthetic with titanium cerakote steel. Bought a 6-18x50 meopta for on top.

Mine is being used for target work, yet to be actually.

They are great value, and seem like great rifles. Mine came to 1500 with scope etc.
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Zarrs » 24 Sep 2017, 7:32 pm

I have the ceraktoe steel as well I thought that was standard but I may be wrong! They are a little on the heavy side but from everything I've read they are great. A bipod is on the list of things to get but after buying the cleaning stuff and gun bag and all the little stuff I'm broke for now. In saying that I plan on buying a .308 for long range shooting and hunting mid next year :D
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 24 Sep 2017, 7:36 pm

Zarrs wrote:I have the ceraktoe steel as well I thought that was standard but I may be wrong! They are a little on the heavy side but from everything I've read they are great. A bipod is on the list of things to get but after buying the cleaning stuff and gun bag and all the little stuff I'm broke for now. In saying that I plan on buying a .308 for long range shooting and hunting mid next year :D

Guess what that weight translates to - yep, accuracy!
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Zarrs » 25 Sep 2017, 2:34 pm

Thanks for all the info guys, has any one fired the bulk 500 round sk mag rounds or federal 525 round ammo from this rifle before?
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles