So I have a new Rifle, now what?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: So I have a new Rifle, now what?

Post by Zarrs » 23 Sep 2017, 8:51 pm

I got the Synthetic, I think I got a good deal i got that a ziess terra scope and rings for 1375. When I priced everything out it came to around 1600/1700 depending on the shop.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by marksman » 23 Sep 2017, 10:13 pm

Wombat wrote:Whatever method of cleaning use end up using remember that you only shoot from a dry clean bore. Before you shoot run a dry patch through the bore.

this is what I would recommend as well but after you have oiled the bore,
do not shoot over a completely dry just cleaned no oil bore especially if it is chrome moly
you should oil after you clean and then run a dry patch through the bore
also do not shoot over oil in your bore that has not been dry patched out or you can risk a bulge in the barrel and very bad accuracy
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 24 Sep 2017, 12:12 pm

Zarrs wrote:I got the Synthetic, I think I got a good deal i got that a ziess terra scope and rings for 1375. When I priced everything out it came to around 1600/1700 depending on the shop.

Yeah nice! I was looking at that deal myself, I liked the synthetic stock and that scope was OK for a package deal, only issue was they didn't have (don't know if you can get it in package at all ) it with a threaded muzzle which i wanted/got because i live in hope that one day we will hopefully be allowed to use silencers on rimfire.
I ended up with laminate stock black ceracote and went for a better scope a Bushnell ar 223.This cost me 1120 for rifle and 250 for the scope. I did also throw on a swiveling bipod which added another $100ish.

Mine really loves the RWS match ammo in either sub or super sonic, hates Winchester and doesn't mind cci.Other than oiling when i first got it I only cleaned barrel for first time yesterday after about 1000 rounds. Im not going to go further into the debate about cleaning/no cleaning because it is a can of worms! Older pitted barrels do seem to go better when dirty, new stuff im not experienced enough to comment, will be interesting to see how it shoots after its first cleaning.Opinion of all my mates is basically split down the middle, half dont clean and the other half do after every day or couple of days of shooting.

Very happy with the rifle and I am seriously considering a Lithgow in 6.5 when they come out.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mitch » 24 Sep 2017, 12:40 pm

I've got a new lithgow also. I got black synthetic with titanium cerakote steel. Bought a 6-18x50 meopta for on top.

Mine is being used for target work, yet to be actually.

They are great value, and seem like great rifles. Mine came to 1500 with scope etc.
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Zarrs » 24 Sep 2017, 7:32 pm

I have the ceraktoe steel as well I thought that was standard but I may be wrong! They are a little on the heavy side but from everything I've read they are great. A bipod is on the list of things to get but after buying the cleaning stuff and gun bag and all the little stuff I'm broke for now. In saying that I plan on buying a .308 for long range shooting and hunting mid next year :D
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 24 Sep 2017, 7:36 pm

Zarrs wrote:I have the ceraktoe steel as well I thought that was standard but I may be wrong! They are a little on the heavy side but from everything I've read they are great. A bipod is on the list of things to get but after buying the cleaning stuff and gun bag and all the little stuff I'm broke for now. In saying that I plan on buying a .308 for long range shooting and hunting mid next year :D

Guess what that weight translates to - yep, accuracy!
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Zarrs » 25 Sep 2017, 2:34 pm

Thanks for all the info guys, has any one fired the bulk 500 round sk mag rounds or federal 525 round ammo from this rifle before?
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles